Eklund Rumor: CBJ offer sheet to Barzal (Mod Warning post #14)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
They could extend the length to be 7 years though. The total value for the contract is divided by 5 if the length is greater than 5. So if its more than 7 years all it has to be is greater than 8 to hit 4 firsts.

Yeah, but he isn't going to sign 6.5 x 7, when he can probably just get 8+ x 8 from the Islanders.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Nowhere didni suggest 6.5x7 i was thinking more like 9-9.5×7

That's fair, but I don't really see the purpose of a contract like that. There is no reason to give up four firsts for a $9m contract, and the Isles would absolutely match that. Contracts with length help the opposing team, I can't see Barzal signing that when he could take the same contract from Lou, with the 8th year, or a bridge for 6m like Domi.

If you really want the player and have to give up four firsts then just take him straight to UFA and give him a bunch of money. You're better off just offering 11.0 (.5) X 5 or 12X7. anything under 10, with term, and NYI just matches. Whether Columbus should be offering that, or whether Barzal is worth that - is a whole different discussion. Very few players are worth 4 1sts, and the ones that are would probably have their teams match anything under 11m.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
That's fair, but I don't really see the purpose of a contract like that. There is no reason to give up four firsts for a $9m contract, and the Isles would absolutely match that. Contracts with length help the opposing team, I can't see Barzal signing that when he could take the same contract from Lou, with the 8th year, or a bridge for 6m like Domi.

If you really want the player and have to give up four firsts then just take him straight to UFA and give him a bunch of money. You're better off just offering 11.0 (.5) X 5 or 12X7. anything under 10, with term, and NYI just matches. Whether Columbus should be offering that, or whether Barzal is worth that - is a whole different discussion. Very few players are worth 4 1sts, and the ones that are would probably have their teams match anything under 11m.

This season more than any teams can be extremely creative with UFA and RFA offers to time bonuses, salary etc to maximize dollars based on upcoming caps and escrow.

Wonder if that comes into play here

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Barzal is worth nowhere near 11. Jesus.

Nobody is saying that. Columbus can't offer in-between $6.5million (which NYI instantly match) or $10.9million because they don't own their 2nd. Columbus would have to offer at least $10.9 mil/year if they wanted Barzal.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
What would happen to Dubois then? Is he also an RFA? If Columbus signs Barzal north of 10M, then where they will have the money to resign Dubois and would not that risk Dubois to an offer sheet from other teams including the Isles, and get less than 4 1st? Would not be better they use that money to chase UFA Hall and resign Dubois or better yet going after one of Tampa's top RFA Ds and sign Hoffman?

I thought Dubois had a better playoff series against Tampa (with a healthy Point in the lineup) than Barzal did.

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If Barzal ends up with Columbus, and they re-sign Jones, I would expect them to be a top 10 team for the next half a decade, so those 1st round picks would like be in the 20 - 25 range...

I think if you're Coumbus, that's a price worth paying to add Barzal to your core...

Reactions: Fro

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Does the Columbus coach still demand all their players block shots and PK? He did this in Vancouver to the Sedins and did not last there. I wonder Barzal is ready for that kind of role? He would be better to hold off, sign a bridge with Isles, and than head out to Seattle in a few years. I do strongly believe that he will look for that down the road so he can be close to his hometown city.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
No disrespect to Columbus fans, but I don't see him signing there. After all, they are no closer to winning than the Isles are and why would he want to risk being stuck there for good number of years. Their record of failure is just as bad as the Islanders are.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
No disrespect to Columbus fans, but I don't see him signing there. After all, they are no closer to winning than the Isles are and why would he want to risk being stuck there for good number of years. Their record of failure is just as bad as the Islanders are.

No disrespect taken. This seems like BS to me. I really don't think the CBJ are doing this.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He might not necessarily want to leave the NYI but could value money more. He could sign the OS and hope the Islanders match.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
How are the Islanders moving salary?
Isles fans insisted they wouldn't have a problem moving out millions upon millions of cap (which nobody believed), but it's odd that they haven't moved someone.
Leddy should have rumors about him being shopped league wide, and Hickey should have been waived by now. I despair for Isles fans if Lou is seriously counting on swapping out Varlamov for Greiss as the feasible move to save significant money.

Also, Barzal is clearly worth 10m. Look at the comparable U25 forward contracts. Depressed production because he plays in Trotz's nightmare system isn't an excuse to lowball a 1C who is going to be better at the end of a 5 year contract than when he signed it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Isles fans insisted they wouldn't have a problem moving out millions upon millions of cap (which nobody believed), but it's odd that they haven't moved someone.

Leddy should have rumors about him being shopped league wide, and Hickey should have been waived by now. I despair for Isles fans if Lou is seriously counting on swapping out Varlamov for Greiss as the feasible move to save significant money.

Also, Barzal is clearly worth 10m. Look at the comparable U25 forward contracts. Depressed production because he plays in Trotz's nightmare system isn't an excuse to lowball a 1C who is going to be better at the end of a 5 year contract than when he signed it.

There is this longstanding perception that Lou is this godly figure that every player and agent bows down to in order to not anger.

In reality he is good playing with some cap shenanigans but basically players have largely run right over him in both Toronto and NY when it comes to contract negotiations.

The idea that a stern look from Lou and Barzal is signing for 3x5M or something is just crazy. Same with the idea that other GMs will graciously clear Lou's cap situation to make his life easier just because

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Chill out. If a rumor gets released with Lou at the helm, if it's true that team would no longer have a shot dealing with Lou. Most rumors are false anyway. Lou doesn't reveal his hand and he's been quoted more then once saying, "if you have time you use it".

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
10.9 Million and it's 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. I hope they do it.
That ain’t much really for a player of Barzal’s caliber. None of these picks are even guaranteed to be a regular NHLer. What are the chances that even one of them becomes as good as Barzal? I’d do it in a heart beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad