Eklund Rumor: CBJ offer sheet to Barzal (Mod Warning post #14)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
They could extend the length to be 7 years though. The total value for the contract is divided by 5 if the length is greater than 5. So if its more than 7 years all it has to be is greater than 8 to hit 4 firsts.
I was coming to post this. It's what makes offer sheets so difficult. Would Columbus offer a 7 yr $60MM deal? probably. That would put the four 1st rounders in play but for the Isles to match it's ultimately a ~$8.5MM AAV. Not really terrible. Not sure there is a structure that would create angst for Isles management. Columbus could certainly support that and bridge PLD for 2 year. They have more money off the books next year but in 2 years it gets tricky (Jones, Z, Korpi/Elvis and potentially PLD if you bridge him 2yrs).

I just dont' see it but would love him on the CBJ - obviously.

Reactions: hmc1987

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Nobody is saying that. Columbus can't offer in-between $6.5million (which NYI instantly match) or $10.9million because they don't own their 2nd. Columbus would have to offer at least $10.9 mil/year if they wanted Barzal.
Only an AAV over 5 years at 10.9+. Doesn't have to be a 10.9+ AAV each year. Go out to 7 years but the determination is based on a 5 year cap.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I was coming to post this. It's what makes offer sheets so difficult. Would Columbus offer a 7 yr $60MM deal? probably. That would put the four 1st rounders in play but for the Isles to match it's ultimately a ~$8.5MM AAV. Not really terrible. Not sure there is a structure that would create angst for Isles management. Columbus could certainly support that and bridge PLD for 2 year. They have more money off the books next year but in 2 years it gets tricky (Jones, Z, Korpi/Elvis and potentially PLD if you bridge him 2yrs).

I just dont' see it but would love him on the CBJ - obviously.

Eliminating the OS issue and say they got Barzal they could manage it by giving PLA a low bridge and unloading salary like savard and a F

Long term they would have roo 2 C, LD and RD under contract on high terms then build around them

Reality...isles keep him at that price

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Columbus gets that much better and if you are fans of any eastern conference team, why would you cheer for this? It will make that much tougher to beat them in the playoff and they already are a playoff team that can be very competitive comes playoff time as it is now?

As for Isles, yes it losing Barzal or Pulock may make their team worse but I think Isles, as it is right now, is not good enough to win the SC without adding a legit sniper. On the other hand, Columbus with Barzal, unless they either end up losing Dubois or may lose Jones down the road as a result of this offer sheet, likely will win the SC within the next two years. So if you are fans of any contending team, especially in the east, close to battle for an SC in the next 2 or 3 years (like TML, Carolina, Boston, Caps, Flyers, maybe even Pens and Tampa again), you would not hope Columbus is the team that will land Barzal unless you hope your team will target Dubois this fall or go after one their top Ds when they turn UFA.

Say If Isles get much worse without Barzal they will eventually go the rebuild route or retool route and in 5 years they will get back being competitive (as that is how long the rebuild will take normally - see Vancouver and Rags) and they will eventually land some young elite forwards. With the lottery draft system, the rebuild can be faster if you are a team just missing the playoffs. I will strongly recommend that the Isles hang on to all their top recent picks and prospects until they know if Barzal is resigned. They can't gut the future without a clear picture of which direction they may go in one or two years.

Most likely though Isles will match and will trade someone from their roster to make room for keeping Pulock. Failing to do that, they will trade Pulock to a western conference contending team for possibly either a good young prospect or 1st round pick. If he is on the market, there will be a lot of interest.

Jul 6, 2016
If Barzal ends up with Columbus, and they re-sign Jones, I would expect them to be a top 10 team for the next half a decade, so those 1st round picks would like be in the 20 - 25 range...

I think if you're Coumbus, that's a price worth paying to add Barzal to your core...

I think CLB will try very hard to sign Hall. Now they have Dubois-Domi-Jenner-Koivu as their 4 regular centermen.

As for the Isles, Barzal is their only real superstar player. They will do whatever to keep him, I guess.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Offer sheet or not - Im confused at how the Islanders manage to afford Barzal Pulock Pelech Beauvilier and any outside improvements over the next two years

They have the worst group of long term contracts in the NHL

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
The only way I can see CBJ pulling this off is if the following was true.

1. Another team offer sheets PLD
1a. PLD accepts
2. CBJ offer sheets Barzal immediately after
2a. Barzal accepts
3. Cbj gets two firsts, a second, and a third for pld.
4. CBJ gives 4 firsts to NYI and signs him for 7 years 70M+

Essentially, CBJ trades PLD and 2 first rounders for Barzal.

Reactions: periferal

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
The only offer sheets I can see being signed are Sergachev and Cirelli.
Don’t see Isles losing Barzal being palatable for the franchise after losing Tavares

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think it makes sense to keep your cap space and wait until day one of the regular season once teams lose that 10% cushion to start poaching RFAs.

Last edited:

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
What? Barzal is better than Marner and Mitch earns $11m...
IIJDk5.gif

Reactions: ACC1224

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Jackets have no interest in offer sheeting Barzal. Because they have their own RFA top line C who would be vulnerable to an offer sheet if they did.

Barzal will stay with the Islanders for a long time. Any thought otherwise is a waste of time.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
The only offer sheets I can see being signed are Sergachev and Cirelli.
Don’t see Isles losing Barzal being palatable for the franchise after losing Tavares

TBL can do nothing either. At least one of Cirelli or Sergachev are gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad