Eklund Rumor: CBJ offer sheet to Barzal (Mod Warning post #14)

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Isles can be 10% over the cap before the start of the season, that gives them roughly 17m in wiggle room. Absolute worse case scenerio, they have to trade one of Toews/Pulock. Either one of them brings back a nice haul in futures/picks.

Once the season starts, Ladd goes to LTIR meaning they would have to dump off 3.4m and that's only if they need the entire 17m to get everyone signed. People are making way more out of this than it really is. They have the defensive depth to trade off a defenseman. Hopefully that's Leddy, if not they're adding draft picks and prospects for one of Pulock/Toews.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I honestly think that Columbus is more likely to be all in on Pietrangelo and Hall than an offer sheet to Barzal that may or may not be successful.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Ew F THAT.

I would never watch hockey again if the Sabres traded a top 10 player in the league for 4 late ish firsts
He absolutely is a top 10 player in the league. But the team still sucks. You wanna watch an awesome player waste his career on a bad team, well I guess I understand why you'd be good with the status quo because that's what's happening now.

Oh yeah, and Dobson, too.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
He absolutely is a top 10 player in the league. But the team still sucks. You wanna watch an awesome player waste his career on a bad team, well I guess I understand why you'd be good with the status quo because that's what's happening now.

Oh yeah, and Dobson, too.

I don’t believe that losing in the ECF to the eventual champions constitutes a “suck” situation.

Are we discussing the same team??

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Isles can be 10% over the cap before the start of the season, that gives them roughly 17m in wiggle room. Absolute worse case scenerio, they have to trade one of Toews/Pulock. Either one of them brings back a nice haul in futures/picks.

Once the season starts, Ladd goes to LTIR meaning they would have to dump off 3.4m and that's only if they need the entire 17m to get everyone signed. People are making way more out of this than it really is. They have the defensive depth to trade off a defenseman. Hopefully that's Leddy, if not they're adding draft picks and prospects for one of Pulock/Toews.
LTIR (long term injured reserve) can only be used when a player is hurt. To put a player on there without being hurt could be circumventing the cap and there could be penalties (draft picks and fines).

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I didn't realize the cap hell that the Islanders are in. If Lou can pull himself out of this without losing something good then i'll be impressed.

Regardless, the Isles should be adding some wing help for Pageau not subtracting from the team if they want to get over the hump. That Ladd contract along with Komarov, Clutterbuck and Boychuk making 13M are absolute killers right now.

I wouldn't say losing Pulock isn't a big deal.

Also, is there evidence that Ladd is LTIR bound or if he actually is fine with riding the bus in the A like he did this year?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
You're not exactly losing Pulock, because there would be 2-3+ teams interested in trading for him. You would get a fair deal in return. It's not optimal, but Dobson is sitting there looking for an open spot.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
I didn't realize the cap hell that the Islanders are in. If Lou can pull himself out of this without losing something good then i'll be impressed.

Regardless, the Isles should be adding some wing help for Pageau not subtracting from the team if they want to get over the hump. That Ladd contract along with Komarov, Clutterbuck and Boychuk making 13M are absolute killers right now.

I wouldn't say losing Pulock isn't a big deal.

Also, is there evidence that Ladd is LTIR bound or if he actually is fine with riding the bus in the A like he did this year?
Think he had surgeries on both knees a year ago. For him to be put on LTIR a Doctor, player, and organization would have to put their reputation on the line that he is unfit. He played in 39 games last year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
wait. isles fans are convinced he is signing for 6.5-7 lol

The idea is he signs a bridge deal for less caphit then he would sign for a 7-8 year deal. When you factor in this is a shortened season you might be able to get around giving him some money(at least caphit wise) by giving him a huge bonus and small actual salary(thus when he gets his money this year he gets 100% his bonus and like 60% of his salary since that will be pro rated for a 50 game season).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I honestly think that Columbus is more likely to be all in on Pietrangelo and Hall than an offer sheet to Barzal that may or may not be successful.
Agreed.

If Columbus is in on Barzal, I cannot see the Islanders refusing to match. They can move salary from elsewhere to accommodate.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I scrolled through this quickly but is there any smoke to this other than Eklund or is this just a fun idea to discuss?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I scrolled through this quickly but is there any smoke to this other than Eklund or is this just a fun idea to discuss?

I seen it mentioned like 1 or 2 other places but it was clearly pushed as speculation(ie why is Columbus freeing up so much cash) then a rumor

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
One thing I still can't believe doesn't happen more often - though we've seen it a couple times in the past - is using offer sheets as a weapon to screw over other teams. San Jose did it most notably to Chicago in 2010, when they lobbed an offer sheet at Hjalmarsson that the Blackhawks matched only to exhaust cap space and leave them unable to match a subsequent offer sheet to Niemi (who was the real target for San Jose).

Yes, the danger here is that an offer sheet becomes a comparable in contract negotiations. But if you're a team trying to handcuff competitors, offer sheets could be a devastating way to do it.

Reactions: untouchable21

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Think he had surgeries on both knees a year ago. For him to be put on LTIR a Doctor, player, and organization would have to put their reputation on the line that he is unfit. He played in 39 games last year.
Ladd played in 38 regular season games between AHL/NHL in 2019-20 and 28 AHL/NHL games in 2018-19 all due to injuries. He is 34(35 in Dec) so writing that he could be a candidate for LTIR is not completely out of the question.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
One thing I still can't believe doesn't happen more often - though we've seen it a couple times in the past - is using offer sheets as a weapon to screw over other teams. San Jose did it most notably to Chicago in 2010, when they lobbed an offer sheet at Hjalmarsson that the Blackhawks matched only to exhaust cap space and leave them unable to match a subsequent offer sheet to Niemi (who was the real target for San Jose).

Yes, the danger here is that an offer sheet becomes a comparable in contract negotiations. But if you're a team trying to handcuff competitors, offer sheets could be a devastating way to do it.
That was part of why Columbus got Chicago to trade Saad. It was either move him or face an offersheet (either for him or someone else).

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

Do you think the return for them is still as high if they're going into the season over the cap? Teams are getting rid of salary because they want to sign ufas rn. If gms don't like the price for ditching salary, they can just choose to not do it. If you don't have that option, the people you're dealing with have less incentive to compromise.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Agreed 100%. It is a tool at every GM’s disposal that should be utilized more frequently especially when teams are backed into a corner with no cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad