Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Max Domi signs extension (2 years, $5.3M AAV)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I honestly like it for CBJ. You don't know if he will stay 40pt Domi or will he jump back to 70pt Domi. Plus, how many UFA signings have there been over the year where a guy was great on his previous team but for whatever reason can't find chemistry on the new team. Makes even more sense with the return for the Habs.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
HAHAHAHA
I knew something in this trade was fishy.
Montreal could come out on top in this trade depending on what Anderson signs for and if Domi ends up leaving in 2 years to UFA.
Really funny to see everyone jump down Bergevin's throat for a terrible trade. Clearly Max was adamant on 2 years.
Good for him, he deserves it.

Not expecting Andy's AAV to be higher than Drouin's, and I'm expecting 4-5 years to the very end of our Weber/Price era. Bet both guys are happy with the move.

Yeah but why was he shipped out for the return he was? Couldn't the habs pay him that much money to be a 3rd line center/winger?

He didn't want to be a winger, not even on the top 6. Claude helped smooth things out in the media saying Domi was better at C. Now with the COVID playoffs there's a log jam at C in Montreal, which made him the odd man out.

No way he ****blocks Suzuki and/or Kotka as a top 6 C for 5 to 7 years. No way. And Danault is as much PR-heavy in Montreal as Drouin is (Bergevin came out to say that was a PR move), just turns out he's a pretty alright 3rd line C. So bye Domi, this was truly "shopping him".

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Two years UFA expiry doesn't sound super great for Columbus but I'm not sure if Max Domi is a guy you want to commit long term to. Very inconsistent.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Everyone saying that CBJ got the bad end of the deal because they didnt go 5 years, well what if he doesnt work out? He has been up and down the past couple of years, so he is not a lock for success. If he is down for the next 2 years then the CBJ are smart for not being anchored to an untradable contract, if he does well, then the CBJ get 2 good years out of him and who knows how the 3rd round pick from the trade will turn out in a few years. I think more than anything the short deal with Domi was for risk mitigation. You take a risk either way, its just that the long term contract is less flexible.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
On one hand 2 years and potentially straight to UFA is not good in terms of asset value, on the other hand you don't want to find yourself in a Turris or Wennberg situation either where you make a long term commitment and it doesn't work and you're screwed.

If things work for both parties you can always extend on a later date. It's going to be a little more expensive, but at least you avoid crazy buyouts.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Straight to UFA is not ideal, but even less ideal would be to give a long term big money deal before knowing if he is a good fit.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Everyone saying that CBJ got the bad end of the deal because they didnt go 5 years, well what if he doesnt work out? He has been up and down the past couple of years, so he is not a lock for success. If he is down for the next 2 years then the CBJ are smart for not being anchored to an untradable contract, if he does well, then the CBJ get 2 good years out of him and who knows how the 3rd round pick from the trade will turn out in a few years. I think more than anything the short deal with Domi was for risk mitigation. You take a risk either way, its just that the long term contract is less flexible.

Plus they'll have a lot more financial flexibility in 2 years with guys like Dubinsky, Harrington, Nash, Foligno and the Hartnell buyout off the books

ninja edit: Though they'll also have to work out new contracts for the goalies, Jones, Werenski and Bjorkstrand at that time. Be a funnnnnn summer

Last edited:

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I honestly like it for CBJ. You don't know if he will stay 40pt Domi or will he jump back to 70pt Domi. Plus, how many UFA signings have there been over the year where a guy was great on his previous team but for whatever reason can't find chemistry on the new team. Makes even more sense with the return for the Habs.

Bob and Duchene come to mind and as a CBJ fan, that makes me happy. Panarin on the other hand...

Reactions: irunthepeg

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Jarmo is basically the only GM with the balls to sign an RFA to a short term deal that takes him to UFA.

yes, he is great at turning over assets. One of the best at not retaining his talent.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This deal doesn't change anything.

Max Domi has always been an extremely confident guy. It is no surprise that he is opting for less security and a better chance to raise his value.

And it is still a good deal for the Blue Jackets. They get a feisty and talented center who should be extra motivated for the two years of his contract in return for a less talented, less productive, inconsistent, older and possibly damaged player.

The huge question mark remains whether he will get along with Tortorella or not. I could be wrong and their relationship could be totally average, but I don't think there will be a middle ground. Domi is either going to fully realize all his potential, or he is going to clash with Tortorella in spectacular fashion.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
yes, he is great at turning over assets. One of the best at not retaining his talent.

I think last year were special cases

Bob - Wanted to live in FL
Duchene - Wanted to live in Nashville
Panarin - Wanted to live in NYC

Those were not hockey decisions. Those were lifestyle choices for those guys. I think there were very few teams that would have been able to keep them, not because of the team, but because of the location.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Classic damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sign him long term it's "LOL HE'S INCONSISTENT. THEY'RE GOING TO REGRET IT IN THREE YEARS WHEN HE HAS YEARS LEFT!!!! DUMMIES!!!!" Sign him to a short deal and it's "LOL HE'S GOING TO WALK FOR NOTHING!!! DUMMIES!"

If he's the player we hope, he'll earn a good raise and hopefully Columbus would be in the running to retain him. If he's not the player we hope, he's gone in two years.

As a CBJ fan, I'm fine with this. There's risk but it's also prudent. Dubois, Jones and Werenski all will be due big raises. You don't want to hamper your ability to pay them.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
CBJ makes out like bandits and the two year bridge is a really smart solution for both the player and the team for the reasons you mentioned.
I really like it for CBJ, horrible asset management from MB.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I think last year were special cases

Bob - Wanted to live in FL
Duchene - Wanted to live in Nashville
Panarin - Wanted to live in NYC

Those were not hockey decisions. Those were lifestyle choices for those guys. I think there were very few teams that would have been able to keep them, not because of the team, but because of the location.

I’m with you, was just being an ass. Not alot of players want to come to MTL these days, for many reasons, so I feel some empathy for CBJ and hope Domi lights it up.

You guys are going to enjoy watching him and for your sake I hope nasty Domi re-emerges. Sucker punch Domi is embarrassing but he is at his best on edge.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Looks like Domi was insisting on a 2 year deal taking him straight to UFA, which likely contributed to Montreal having to be the ones to add a 3rd in the trade.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
I’m with you, was just being an ass. Not alot of players want to come to MTL these days, for many reasons, so I feel some empathy for CBJ and hope Domi lights it up.

You guys are going to enjoy watching him and for your sake I hope nasty Domi re-emerges. Sucker punch Domi is embarrassing but he is at his best on edge.

Last season I wish we got 'sucker punch' Domi back instead of 'dead end plays' Domi.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
No, he took 2M$ less per year to bail on Columbus and cash-in as a UFA in 2 years.

And who will pay him big bucks? I wouldn't. This is perfect for CBJ. They get Domi to play his guts out for his next contract, or bust. If someone wants to take him on as UFA, CBJ can be in the mix or not.

I'm not a Domi fan, but if he can't get his head on straight in CBJ with Jarmo and Torts I wouldn't touch him as UFA.

Arhidia

Jan 6, 2019
CBJ makes out like bandits and the two year bridge is a really smart solution for both the player and the team for the reasons you mentioned.
I really like it for CBJ, horrible asset management from MB.
???
Anderson had more interest in the market
Domi will be gone in 2 years
Domi will be hated by cbj in 2 years anyway
Anderson will be cheaper $$$
And probably sign longer.
Thatss bad asset management?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad