Not even at a discount price
I do not want AHL scrubs
Let them go play for other clubs
If I'm to get my freebie chili
It won't come courtesy Jack Skille

CAMSANITY

Jan 30, 2013
Redondo Beach
Cory Conacher made the Isles over him. Jack Skille isn't very good.

When you play with a stud (or a "take your ball and go home greedy punk diva") like Ryan Johansen, sometimes good things can happen. Even Brian Gibbons put up points when playing with Crosby, that doesn't make him more than another borderline AHL scrub.

IHeartZherdev*

I can't tell if you guys are just trolling me or if you actually think Jack Skille is good?

CAMSANITY

Jan 30, 2013
Redondo Beach
I can't tell if you guys are just trolling me or if you actually think Jack Skille is good?

Jack Skille was a first round draft pick. Does that make him the next great one? No, but it does mean he has some skill. I think the Blue Jackets are the type of team he needed to play with in order to showcase his ability. You can't deny the speed or the wicked shot he has. How about we see where he ends up by the end of the year and revist your thoughts.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

More like you're trolling them by saying he sucks. Skille is a good fit and can play to his strengths here more than other places he's been. I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with recognizing that he's had some success here.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Jack Skille was a first round draft pick. Does that make him the next great one? No, but it does mean he has some skill. I think the Blue Jackets are the type of team he needed to play with in order to showcase his ability. You can't deny the speed or the wicked shot he has. How about we see where he ends up by the end of the year and revist your thoughts.

This. Perhaps this room, with this group of guys, is helping Jack be at his best. Is he worthy of being a first rounder? Chicago thought so. Nothing we can do about his draft position but we can put him in situations that will help him flourish.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
How anyone who actually watches all the games can say Jack Skille isn't a good hockey player is beyond me.

He isn't Ryan Johansen but the guy works his tail off and has some great skills that many of our other forwards don't have. He is the only guy on the team who even comes close to comparing to Joey in terms of shot quality, IMO. Cam and Boone also come to mind, but Skille can downright rip it.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
How anyone who actually watches all the games can say Jack Skille isn't a good hockey player is beyond me.

He isn't Ryan Johansen but the guy works his tail off and has some great skills that many of our other forwards don't have. He is the only guy on the team who even comes close to comparing to Joey in terms of shot quality, IMO. Cam and Boone also come to mind, but Skille can downright rip it.

Just to add to this, it's not like anyone claims Skille should be or is a a top 6 skill player. The y guy has shown though that he's at least a 4th liner if not a potential 3rd liner. No where does that mean you're a scrub on an AHL players, especially on a team as deep as Columbus.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Skille has shown as much desire and brought high energy to the team as much as anyone through 5 games from what I have seen. He wants to be here and wants to be successful and is going to give all he has to bring a cup to Columbus

He also has plenty of skill to go along with his intensity

IHeartZherdev*

He's 27 and still on a one year, 2-way deal, so it's not just my opinion, it's the NHL's.

I can respect that you guys appreciate that he's hardworking - by all accounts he is and seems to be well liked in the room too. But like a D-Mac or a Malhotra he's a minimum role player that doesn't have a place on our roster when we're healthy and I think sometimes because skill players make it look easy and non-skill players look like they're trying so hard, they can overrrated by the fans.

He has a hard wrist shot, but that's just a wrench and he's missing the whole toolbox so to speak. There are plenty of guys who had high draft pedigree who might be able to do one thing well but don't have the complete game it takes to be a consistent NHL player (Rob Schremp comes to mind)

IHeartZherdev*

edit:

He's 27 and still on a one year, 2-way deal, so it's not just my opinion, it's the NHL's.

I can respect that you guys appreciate that he's hardworking - by all accounts he is and seems to be well liked in the room too. But like a D-Mac or a Malhotra he's a minimum role player. Skille doesn't have a place on our roster when we're healthy and I think sometimes because skill players make it look easy and non-skill players look like they're trying so hard, they can overrrated by the fans. It's a problem that they couldn't upgrade the depth after letting him walk and now he's back here again.

He has a hard wrist shot, but that's just a wrench and he's missing the whole toolbox so to speak. There are plenty of guys who had high draft pedigree who might be able to do one thing well but don't have the complete game it takes to be a consistent NHL player (Rob Schremp comes to mind)

IHeartZherdev*

Does he need the whole toolbox as a 4th liner? If he can be physical, bring energy/speed, and a nice wrist shot.. isn't that valuable enough?

Boll, Tropp, Chaput is usually the 4th line.

I don't think Skille is physical or tough enough to grind out the hard minutes of a true 4th liner, and playing with Boll and Chaput, I don't think he'd have many chances to make use of that wrister.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

I don't think Skille is physical or tough enough to grind out the hard minutes of a true 4th liner, and playing with Boll and Chaput, I don't think he'd have many chances to make use of that wrister.
How can you say Tropp is "usually" the 4th line when he's played 1 game this whole season. And if you're referring to him usually being the 4th line last year, then why are you including Chaput?

Skille still has 2 goals in this young season, at least one of which came with Boll and Chaput. Yeah, 4th liners don't score a lot, but he's already proven that he's able to make use of his shot.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things

We have several individuals who can slot into the 4th line. Jack's just one of them. Personally I'd rather him than Tropp. And if he needs to slide up a line he doesn't look out of place. It's a good thing to have these kinds of problems.

IHeartZherdev*

How can you say Tropp is "usually" the 4th line when he's played 1 game this whole season. And if you're referring to him usually being the 4th line last year, then why are you including Chaput?

Skille still has 2 goals in this young season, at least one of which came with Boll and Chaput. Yeah, 4th liners don't score a lot, but he's already proven that he's able to make use of his shot.

OK, well, I guess we'll just see how many goals he ends up with and how big of an impact he ends up having.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
From Fox Sports,

Here's what JD has to say about him:

"With the injuries that hit us, it's opportunities for other guys, young people, older players or waiver pickups, whatever it is. A great example would be (forward) Jack Skille. He's comfortable here. We like him, he's big, he skates well, shoots the puck well and he fits right in with what we're trying to do."

Seems like a pretty reasonable appraisal, certainly not overselling him. He's a useful piece, if he maintains that level, he'll continue to play. If not, they'll plug someone else into his spot. That's what it means to have depth, for a change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad