Confirmed with Link: CBJ Claim Jack Skille on Waivers

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
LOL that's bold

Potential for sarcasm notwithstanding how is that a bold statement? You stated Tropp belongs on the 4th line. I stated Jack will outscore Tropp. This implies Jack will see more ice time than Tropp. To me that's not exactly rewriting Einstein or something. I believe Jack brings a better skill set (though I concede that that one goal Tropp scored last year was pretty awesome) so I feel he will play more than not, assuming no injuries.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Preemptive strike.

I just have a hard time believing anyone could talk **** about Skille right now. Obviously he's not a top 6 kind of guy, but he's arguably one of our best bottom 6 this season. He's looked better then Chaput and Boll, and plays damn well with Calvert and Letestu.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I can agree with a lot of what folks are saying about Skille - all those in favor and sometimes the lone detractor - but it really comes down to something pretty simple. He puts the puck in the net.

Last year Skille was #1 on the Jackets in goals per minute.
This year, through 5 games, Skille is #1 on the Jackets in goals per minute.

Coincidence? I'm guessing not.
Guess what? He's not a ham-and-egger.

Sample size is too small to draw a conclusion for me......still, it's possible that Jack Skille is a horse for a course and that course is the CBJ.

I wonder what kind of influence Todd Richards has had on Skille? Richards, though not a 7th overall pick, was a high second round pick who only played 8 career NHL games. Richards played the last 10 years of his career as a minor leaguer who knew he wasn't prime time material. Richards commanded a lot of respect from his teammates and peers in the IHL. He made the best of his career relative to his true abilities. Perhaps Richards has been able to help Skille redefine himself as a bottom 6 role player and eliminate the expectations of stardom that he wasn't able to meet.

If Skille is able to continue to help the team as he has during his two tenures here, then great. If he turns into an organizational depth player who can be called up when injuries hit and knows how to play his role, then that's not a bad thing either.

I'm rooting for the guy to stick with the Jackets. While he doesn't seem to have the package of a top 6 player-he's had numerous opportunities to showcase his abilities- perhaps he can find his niche on the Jackets and remain an NHLer for the long term.

Last edited:

IHeartZherdev*

I can agree with a lot of what folks are saying about Skille - all those in favor and sometimes the lone detractor - but it really comes down to something pretty simple. He puts the puck in the net.

Last year Skille was #1 on the Jackets in goals per minute.
This year, through 5 games, Skille is #1 on the Jackets in goals per minute.

Coincidence? I'm guessing not.
Guess what? He's not a ham-and-egger.

Good players play a lot of minutes. Skille doesn't play a lot of minutes, that's why this stat is so high.

CAMSANITY

Jan 30, 2013
Redondo Beach
Good players play a lot of minutes. Skille doesn't play a lot of minutes, that's why this stat is so high.

Seriously? You do know that MATT READ is 32 in the NHL in TOI...he sure is an all-star. You know who else just has to be amazing because they have a high TOI? Bryan Little, Joel Ward, and Andrew Shaw. All of the guys mentioned before are averaging more TOI than Loui Eriksson, Max Pacioretty, Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly and I would take all of these guys before the players mentioned in the previous sentence. Oh and by the way. Read, Little, Ward and Shaw average more TOI than Johansen, Foligno, and Atkinson. Just food for thought.

Maybe guys that have high TOI have that because their teams can't roll 3-4 lines...

IHeartZherdev*

Seriously? You do know that MATT READ is 32 in the NHL in TOI...he sure is an all-star. You know who else just has to be amazing because they have a high TOI? Bryan Little, Joel Ward, and Andrew Shaw. All of the guys mentioned before are averaging more TOI than Loui Eriksson, Max Pacioretty, Matt Duchene, Ryan O'Reilly and I would take all of these guys before the players mentioned in the previous sentence. Oh and by the way. Read, Little, Ward and Shaw average more TOI than Johansen, Foligno, and Atkinson. Just food for thought.

Maybe guys that have high TOI have that because their teams can't roll 3-4 lines...

Goals per minute is a terrible stat and one that cannot stand on its own at all to argue a player's merit. Here is it league wide.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

Jason Zucker, Chris Brown, John Scott, Zach Boychuk, Chipcura, etc al in the top 30. You going to make an argument for any of those players?

Stamkos, Crosby, Johansen, Perry, etc nowhere to be found.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Goals per minute is a terrible stat and one that cannot stand on its own at all to argue a player's merit. Here is it league wide.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...&f1=2014_s&f2=5v5&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+17+18+19+20

Jason Zucker, Chris Brown, John Scott, Zach Boychuk, Chipcura, etc al in the top 30. You going to make an argument for any of those players?

Do you think the team should have any players that aren't your 1st/2nd line high scoring finesse type of guys? Your Joeys and Zherdevs and such? If so name them please.

IHeartZherdev*

Do you think the team should have any players that aren't your 1st/2nd line high scoring finesse type of guys? Your Joeys and Zherdevs and such? If so name them please.

What does Zherdev have to with anything? Can you even find the last time I mentioned him on this board? That's like me replying to one of your posts asking if you think players should wear socks.

I didn't say the team shouldn't have fourth liners but am disputer the notion that Jack Skille is a valuable player and that somehow goals/per 60 minutes is proof of that.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
What does Zherdev have to with anything? Can you even find the last time I mentioned him on this board? That's like me replying to one of your posts asking if you think players should wear socks.

I didn't say the team shouldn't have fourth liners but am disputer the notion that Jack Skille is a valuable player and that somehow goals/per 60 minutes is proof of that.

Z just happens to be a high skill player who can put the puck in the net a lot of times and make pretty plays (off ice issues notwithstanding). Now again I ask. Name your 4th liners please? You rail against guys like Skille and DMac. Quintessential 4th line guys, as well as guys who have had success here within their roles. So who would you have play in their place?

IHeartZherdev*

Z just happens to be a high skill player who can put the puck in the net a lot of times and make pretty plays (off ice issues notwithstanding). Now again I ask. Name your 4th liners please? You rail against guys like Skille and DMac. Quintessential 4th line guys, as well as guys who have had success here within their roles. So who would you have play in their place?

Zherdev hasn't been in the NHL in years and isn't relevant to the discussions whatsoever, not sure what point you are trying to make there.

The Kings and Bruins have ideal fourth lines and would easily prefer the guys they have to the ones we have. Although I don't "rail against" guys like Skille I just think they are completely expendable and not worth the praise that often gets showered on them by media and fans in Columbus, who seem to throw venom at skilled players (see Johansen before he signed, or Atkinson last year, or even this year people already labeled Wennberg a "floater") and gush over these grinder types who make who are a dime a dozen.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Zherdev hasn't been in the NHL in years and isn't relevant to the discussions whatsoever, not sure what point you are trying to make there.

The Kings and Bruins have ideal fourth lines and would easily prefer the guys they have to the ones we have. Although I don't "rail against" guys like Skille I just think they are completely expendable and not worth the praise that often gets showered on them by media and fans in Columbus, who seem to throw venom at skilled players (see Johansen before he signed, or Atkinson last year, or even this year people already labeled Wennberg a "floater") and gush over these grinder types who make who are a dime a dozen.

Just one name.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Kyle Clifford, Gregory Campbell, Jordan Nolan, Daniel Paille. My apoligies just saying the Kings and Bruins 4th lines wasn't clear enough.

Ok. That's all I wanted. Personally I'm not crazy about Campbell (that one insane shift where he blocked a ton of shots on one leg aside) and am so-so on Paille but I can dig the others. I still feel Jack and Mac fit right in with them. And on this particular team Jack's game matches the style set by Ritchie better than on maybe any other team.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Stamkos, Crosby, Johansen, and Perry are at the top in the full season results. Where are your ham-and-eggers on this list?

Now of course, Skille is not that good. We still have a sample size problem with him. But he has managed to lead the team in goals per minute for parts of two consecutive seasons now. I don't think that is entirely random.

IHeartZherdev*

Stamkos, Crosby, Johansen, and Perry are at the top in the full season results. Where are your ham-and-eggers on this list?

Now of course, Skille is not that good. We still have a sample size problem with him. But he has managed to lead the team in goals per minute for parts of two consecutive seasons now. I don't think that is entirely random.

"parts of two consecutive seasons?" again, him being in the lead at this point in that stat category is meaningless.

And yes, over the course of a full season, he won't even come close to being tops in that stat as a full season stats list will show.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I'm losing it that certain people in this thread are now claiming stats aren't always a useful metric to examine a guy's production. Or they can be misconstrued to prove a point.

Huh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad