Confirmed with Link: CBJ Claim Jack Skille on Waivers

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'm pretty sure they assumed D'Amigo and Gibbons wouldn't suck complete ass and might be an upgrade on Skille.

They thought wrong.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
With Jenner, Joey and Horton out, I said I was hoping the CBJ would bite if he hit waivers. Glad to have him back and look forward to again seeing that nice quick release he has with his shot.

juno89

May 30, 2013
Great news. I really thought Jack was making progress mentally last year. Anytime guys go as high in the draft as Skille did and struggle in the league, it can take a while for them to click, that is to understand what effort, focus, preparation, etc that they are going to have to provide to make it. I though Jack was getting there last year, finding a how here. Was pretty disappointed when he left and even more disappointed that the reason he left he didn't get at the Islanders. That is a one way deal, I thought he left for no good reason. Very nice to see Jack say (in one of the tweets by Poz or Mitchell) he didn't understand what happened with us this offseason, contract wise. There was some confusion, probably due to timing and perhaps agent driven, in his attempt to move fast at the free agent signing period.

At any rate, if Jack can continue to develop the potential that lead to him being drafted 7th overall by Chicago in 2005 from the University of Wisconsin. I see Jack has had a 23-26-49 point season at the AHL level, best NHL mark is during the 10/11 season where he had 7-10-17 in 50 games for the Blackhawks. I thing he can improve on those numbers for us if he can get back to where he was last year, mentally and physically. At 6-1 215 he is big enough for the rough stuff and can skate so the potential is there, if we can bring him along mentally, is 30 points out of the picture, I don't think so. It's possible Jack is one of the stories at the end of the season that the media wants to talk about.

Go Jackets.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
They announced that they were trying to re-sign him.

Something doesn't add up. Porty reported they were trying to sign Skille. He signs a 2-way contract with the Islandres that pays $750k in the NHL. When he is claimed on waivers he says he wanted to be a Jacket.

Do you think they really tried to sign him or were they moving in some other direction and got caught with injuries?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Something doesn't add up. Porty reported they were trying to sign Skille. He signs a 2-way contract with the Islandres that pays $750k in the NHL. When he is claimed on waivers he says he wanted to be a Jacket.

Do you think they really tried to sign him or were they moving in some other direction and got caught with injuries?
The impression I got was that CBJ FO would have liked to keep him, but figured that the numbers game wouldn't work out and so allowed him to walk to get a better offer. Sort of a "we'd offer you a job if we had one available" deal.

Dunno how accurate or reasonable that is, but that's the impression I was left with. :dunno:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

The Jackets wanted to sign Skille to a two-way deal, which he rejected. Jarmo wanted more flexibility on the 4th line, and Skille thought he earned a one-way deal (I agree).

I don't know the details about how he ended up with the Islanders. My guess is that he wanted to sign somewhere quick to make sure he wasn't left with nothing, but he still couldn't find a one-way deal. But at least he had a really good chance of making the Islanders, so he and his agent went with it. AND then, the Islanders went out and signed Grabo and Kulemin, meaning Skille was doomed to the AHL.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The way I see it, Skille has more size than D'amigo and Gibbons with the same type of attributes and allows Rychel to learn the pro game in the AHL against men all while getting a bigger role and bigger minutes. Skille can play all over the lineup or sit in the press box. Dano and Wennberg have played in men's leagues already and, to me, have earned their spot in the lineup.

more size, speed and flexibility.... Good move with little risk or downside. I also expect Horton to be out long term.

Last edited:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
My new best friend...

Great news. I really thought Jack was making progress mentally last year. Anytime guys go as high in the draft as Skille did and struggle in the league, it can take a while for them to click, that is to understand what effort, focus, preparation, etc that they are going to have to provide to make it. I though Jack was getting there last year, finding a how here. Was pretty disappointed when he left and even more disappointed that the reason he left he didn't get at the Islanders. That is a one way deal, I thought he left for no good reason. Very nice to see Jack say (in one of the tweets by Poz or Mitchell) he didn't understand what happened with us this offseason, contract wise. There was some confusion, probably due to timing and perhaps agent driven, in his attempt to move fast at the free agent signing period.

At any rate, if Jack can continue to develop the potential that lead to him being drafted 7th overall by Chicago in 2005 from the University of Wisconsin. I see Jack has had a 23-26-49 point season at the AHL level, best NHL mark is during the 10/11 season where he had 7-10-17 in 50 games for the Blackhawks. I thing he can improve on those numbers for us if he can get back to where he was last year, mentally and physically. At 6-1 215 he is big enough for the rough stuff and can skate so the potential is there, if we can bring him along mentally, is 30 points out of the picture, I don't think so. It's possible Jack is one of the stories at the end of the season that the media wants to talk about.

Go Jackets.

This is spot on, & something I just referred to in the Wennberg thread. For a few seconds on Skille's sniping goal last night I saw beautiful skating and that snap wrist shot. Hopefully he can repeat that sequence many times the rest of the season

Glad your back, Jack!!

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm glad to see Skille up to the 3rd line, He deserves more ice time IMO

Brings high energy and has that lethal wrist shot

#CommonJackets TakdownThe Flames

#5thLineRocks

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Every time Skille carries the puck up the wing into the offensive zone, the crowd goes "oooooohhhhh" in anticipation.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
This pickup has been crazy good so far this season...numbers game sucks sometimes, but I am glad he is back on the team.

IHeartZherdev*

he's just another ham and egger... ;)

Cory Conacher made the Isles over him. Jack Skille isn't very good.

When you play with a stud like Ryan Johansen, sometimes good things can happen. Even Brian Gibbons put up points when playing with Crosby, that doesn't make him more than another borderline AHL scrub.

Last edited by a moderator:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Cory Conacher made the Isles over him. Jack Skille isn't very good.

When you play with a stud like Ryan Johansen, sometimes good things can happen. Even Brian Gibbons put up points when playing with Crosby, that doesn't make him more than another borderline AHL scrub.

Wow do you know how to craft a bad argument. :laugh:

1) Go ask an Isles fan what they think about Conacher making the team over Skille.

2) Skille doesn't play with Joey. He's outscored Conacher while playing marginal minutes on Chaput and Letestu's wings. Meanwhile Conacher has been playing on John Tavares' wing.

From now on when I hear IHZ refer to someone as a "ham-and-egger" my ears will perk up that the player might have some serious potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

IHeartZherdev*

Wow do you know how to craft a bad argument. :laugh:

1) Go ask an Isles fan what they think about Conacher making the team over Skille.

2) Skille doesn't play with Joey. He's outscored Conacher while playing marginal minutes on Chaput and Letestu's wings. Meanwhile Conacher has been playing on John Tavares' wing.

From now on when I hear IHZ refer to someone as a "ham-and-egger" my ears will perk up that the player might have some serious potential.

So you think Jack Skille, who has been waived by half the NHL, has "serious potential?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad