CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
What does any of this have to do with Day besides punting? He gave Clemson a long field to drive to win it, and they torched the OSU defense.

Day coached circles around Clemson except in the red zone. Can't help it if the refs take their most versatile defensive player out of the game for tackling their 6'5'' QB like a RB when he got into a running crouched position. The punt block penalty was a 5 yarder turned into a 15 yarder - how is that on Day? The offense put up 517 yards of offense. That's Day specialty and he exposed Clemson's D.

LSU will route Clemson.

1. Setting up a punt block in that situation was completely and utterly stupid. OSU was set to get the ball back AT WORST at the 50. Just return the damn kick (or even fair catch!) and OSU is in business. Instead it’s an idiotic 15 yard drive extender for no reason whatsoever (and no chance in hell that was EVER going to be called “running into”, dude plowed directly into the kicker).

2. Punting with 3:00 left from the Clemson 39 on 4th and 4 up 2 points is the epitome of conservative and playing not to lose. You convert there and the game is basically over. Instead you take it out of your offense’s hands (who were driving nicely to that point) and give a top offense in the country 3:00 to just drive to FG range. (Yes if OSU got stuffed Clem has to go 60 yards instead of 90 but at least you gave your offense a chance. You give your offense a chance to convert on 4th and put the game away in that situation every single time in my book). Only way I agree with a punt there is if we were up by a touchdown or more, that way you are looking at OT at worst.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The only thing I disagree with was the punt block.
The kid has to know (and be coached) you don't run past the kicker, you lay out to the point where ball should be kicked. Running allows the kicker to step into him to get 15 yards. That was a bad play by OSU. I don't get many things right but when they were lining up I was saying just don't rough the punter. Take the ball back, but nope rush the kicker and he doesn't lay out.
Other thing is just going for 1, when he should have gone for 2. That was pretty obvious to me.
Day and his staff was so good early in game. But the players didn't capitalize (3 field goals, including 2 dropped passes which could have been scores). That is not coaching that is execution.

For players:
-Last throw wasn't needed. Dobbins was wide open and could have got ball inside 10 with time left. Also looked like a TE dragging across middle was open as well, but unfortunately WR slipped and was picked off.
-Dobbins was a beast pre-ankle. He is a legend for coming back but not same explosiveness.
-Roughing the QB is a legit call by the rule. I don't like it and think should be changed to auto ejection for hitting defenseless player (like what Oklahoma player did earlier to LSU receiver) but for a football play like that, I get throwing a flag for leading with crown of helmet, but hope in future that players aren't ejected for that.
-Also I love Chase Young but last 3 games he wasn't the same (Michigan, Wisky, Clemson). Not sure if injured, I know MI doubled him a lot, etc.
-I don't understand how the catch, fumble and return was not legit. Even some officials are confused. Only explanation I heard was in college they can't slow down the replay (NFL can watch frame by frame) but in College it's live replay and it did happen fast. But that is the call I have no idea how they over turned.

Tough loss. We could have won it. Poor red zone execution, losing Wade and having Dobbins hobbled. Then to have Sunshine show off speed he hasn't shown all year for Clemson.
Congrats to them. I'm rotting for Joe B in championship, but I do think it will be a good game.

Reactions: DJAnimosity

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
-I don't understand how the catch, fumble and return was not legit. Even some officials are confused. Only explanation I heard was in college they can't slow down the replay (NFL can watch frame by frame) but in College it's live replay and it did happen fast. But that is the call I have no idea how they over turned.

I don't watch as much college as NFL and I'm not an OSU fan, but I do have a long history of beefing with the changes and attempts to establish what is an is not a catch in football in general.

I don't know what more the Clemson player could have done to make that a catch. It looked pretty clear to me. Replay has completely f***ed up catch rules in football, and attempts to clarify those kinds of plays with rules have just made things worse.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Joe Burrow is experiencing the highest of highs right now. I hope he treasures these moments.

He is soon to be a Bengal. From this point forward, his football career will be a continual experience of pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Watching Ohio State hoops playing offense vs Wisc. is a lot like watching the Jackets offense against the Avs.....Painful.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Exactly what a buddy of mine was saying.

As soon as they reached #2 (or was it #3?) they stopped playing like a team and started thinking they were better than they were. I never believed this team was that talented, but I think they were winning games because of team play and relentless aggression on rebounds. Now I think they're shooting too many threes (something they're not good at), lagging on defense, and Wesson hasn't been as good. Just an all out freefall because they got full of themselves, got hit in the mouth, and now lost confidence. IMO.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
A question for those far more knowledgeable than me on this topic; what's the outlook on the Crew this coming season? Are the new additions expected to make a significant difference?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A question for those far more knowledgeable than me on this topic; what's the outlook on the Crew this coming season? Are the new additions expected to make a significant difference?
Should be a much better team with players suited to the style Porter want to play. Should be much better offensively.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Zelarayan is supposed to be a new #10 to replace Higuain, who we were missing nearly all of last season. That alone is going to be significant. Getting Valenzuela back from injury should also be pretty big. I don't know much substantial about Wormgoor (I thought our defensive center backs were just fine, myself), but folks seem to be suggesting he's going to be a big help as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You'd of thought they wouldn't with it being out doors.. not to mention their time to shine with absolutely no other sports playing at the moment
Technically, they could probably keep playing and still be OK under DeWine's order. Realistically, the "indoor/outdoor" distinction was kind of garbage from the start.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If MLB does get to play its 2020 season, I want a World Series between the Indians and Reds. It would be of great financial benefit to the state of Ohio. And if the Indians were to win such a series, it would be a real feel-good story, given they haven't won since 1948. The Reds winning might also be a feel-good story too, their last title was in 1990, the year after former Reds star Pete Rose was banned from baseball (I support his reinstatement).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad