CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Y'know, I'd written off Shea Patterson. I didn't think he'd do much. That was incredibly hubristic and foolish of me. The kid's done everything the Wolverines needed of him and then some. But his receivers are letting him down really, really badly. :shakehead

Oh well. Go Bucks! :)

Didn't the WRs have four consecutive drops at one point? I don't think I've ever seen that. It was immediately after Fields returned and threw that ridiculous TD to Wilson. Perhaps his "Heisman moment."

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I am all in favor of the Browns firing Freddie after this game. Why not take a knee going into the Half? Instead he wants to throw the ball thereby risking his QB to injury? Stupid. And our CB can’t tackle or cover a receiver. This was supposed to be a strength but it sure isn’t today

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I am all in favor of the Browns firing Freddie after this game. Why not take a knee going into the Half? Instead he wants to throw the ball thereby risking his QB to injury? Stupid. And our CB can’t tackle or cover a receiver. This was supposed to be a strength but it sure isn’t today

Not a Browns fan, but I do have a soft spot for a lot of the players on the team. How long before enough is enough with the coaches? It was a mistake to hire Kitchens as HC, no denying that, he's inexperienced and has the keys to not only a controversial QB but two hot headed WR's. The lack of usage of OBJ is staggering, and I'm not sure if its Baker's fault or Kitchens'. Either way, Kitchens has proven to be way over his head, but firing him just continues to push the unstable Browns narrative.

I think they should stick it out with Kitchens. Mostly due to lack of proven veteran HC's available right now (Unless McCarthy, Quinn, potentially Garrett are attractive). He's in way over his head, but stability is necessary especially with such a young QB. The coordinators need to go though, because Kitchens needs some VETERAN coaches around him to help with some of the HC duties.

Jay Gruden would be a GREAT OC hire for the Browns and Baker IMO.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not a Browns fan, but I do have a soft spot for a lot of the players on the team. How long before enough is enough with the coaches? It was a mistake to hire Kitchens as HC, no denying that, he's inexperienced and has the keys to not only a controversial QB but two hot headed WR's. The lack of usage of OBJ is staggering, and I'm not sure if its Baker's fault or Kitchens'. Either way, Kitchens has proven to be way over his head, but firing him just continues to push the unstable Browns narrative.

I think they should stick it out with Kitchens. Mostly due to lack of proven veteran HC's available right now (Unless McCarthy, Quinn, potentially Garrett are attractive). He's in way over his head, but stability is necessary especially with such a young QB. The coordinators need to go though, because Kitchens needs some VETERAN coaches around him to help with some of the HC duties.

Jay Gruden would be a GREAT OC hire for the Browns and Baker IMO.

While I've chosen the Blue Jackets over the Pens of my native city, I'm still a Steeler fan. While I love that the Browns can't get out of their own way, especially in the wake of the offseason self-love fest, the organization is in a tough place regarding the head coach. Although, I feel like if the offense was force-feeding OBJ, Kitchens would take the heat as an inexperienced guy who's bowing to pressure from a star player. But...

The only way you fire him now though is if you've already decided he's the wrong guy. Stability, sure, but not for it's own sake. But if you're not convinced right now that he's the wrong guy, I think yeah you bring him back. (And no, that's not a Steeler fan just wanting the Browns to retain a HC I think my team can beat.)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am all in favor of patience and stability but sometimes a person makes a mistake. Dorsey made a mistake hiring Kitchens, keeping him would be doubling down on a bad bet.

Kitchens needs to go. I looked through the list of current NFL coaches and I was hard pressed to name two other current HCs I’d prefer Freddie over (Gase is the other).

I don’t know who gets his job but Freddie is the wrong personality and too inexperience for this job. He’s over his head and contributing to the circus.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Some news in light of the failure of the Arena Football League and, thus the Destroyers:

I have heard from a reliable source that there will be a press conference at 11 tomorrow that the Germains are starting a Columbus team in the Indoor football League in 2021.

The IFL plays a similar form of football to the AFL, albeit sans rebound nets.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Michael Thomas just broke the NFL record for receptions in a season.

Did any OSU fans think he would be this good?

I don't know about "best NFL season by a receiver" good, but yeah, I thought he'd be a multiple-time Pro Bowler. He didn't have great QBs at OSU to throw him the ball, and with the O-Line and game plan geared towards an all-time back in Zeke Elliott, it was clear he was under-utilized at Ohio State given his talent. But no, I wouldn't have said, "he'll set the season mark for receptions in the NFL" when he left.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
LeBron is putting up the best age-35+ season in NBA history, and it's really not all that close.

Father Time has to catch him eventually, right?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Go Bucks!

They should be able to run the ball against Clemson as they did against Michigan as both teams' d-lines are relatively small. Their run D will likely hang in there for a while but as the game progresses it should wear down as Michigan's did.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Settling for FGs, the idiotic punt block penalty, punting with 3:00 left from the Clemson 40, Day looked like a rookie last night. Bad calls aren’t an issue if we score TDs instead of FGs in the first half.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I agree that the calls, particularly the catch/fumble one, had a big impact. Still, they had the lead and had penned Clemson on their own six with about three minutes to go. Four plays, 1:16, and they’re down. Didn’t even force a 2nd down! That it finally came down to a miscommunication between Fields and Olave ( might have been a TD had he not broken to the flag) was a real tribute to their resolve. Hate to lose, especially to Clemson, but it was a terrific game!

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Settling for FGs, the idiotic punt block penalty, punting with 3:00 left from the Clemson 40, Day looked like a rookie last night. Bad calls aren’t an issue if we score TDs instead of FGs in the first half.

What does any of this have to do with Day besides punting? He gave Clemson a long field to drive to win it, and they torched the OSU defense.

Day coached circles around Clemson except in the red zone. Can't help it if the refs take their most versatile defensive player out of the game for tackling their 6'5'' QB like a RB when he got into a running crouched position. The punt block penalty was a 5 yarder turned into a 15 yarder - how is that on Day? The offense put up 517 yards of offense. That's Day specialty and he exposed Clemson's D.

LSU will route Clemson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->