CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
The Browns are actually favored on the road at Indy this weekend. Not sure if that says more about the Browns or the Colts.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Indians win 100!

Third time in Indians history (1954, 1995) and, interestingly, the first time they've done it in a 162-game season (schedule was only 154 games in 1954 and 1995 was shortened to 144 games by the strike). The 1996 team (99-63) was the closest in a 162-game season before this year.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Indians win 100!

Third time in Indians history (1954, 1995) and, interestingly, the first time they've done it in a 162-game season (schedule was only 154 games in 1954 and 1995 was shortened to 144 games by the strike). The 1996 team (99-63) was the closest in a 162-game season before this year.
Sweet. What a run...31-3. Now, get the pitching rotation lined up, use Kluber effectively in playoffs (i.e. no 3-day rest starts, just run them all out there as they have for this entire stretch), and let's see. Baseball in the playoffs is so unpredictable, but like the Indians chances with the rotation and pen.

Reactions: Johansen2Foligno

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm pretty excited to see Salazar getting back into form. Last year, the Indians didn't have Salazar OR Carrasco in the playoffs.

Miller looks to have shaken most of his rust off too, he was nasty a couple days ago

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Well, the US national soccer team failed to qualify for the World Cup, and quite frankly they didn't deserve to make it. I follow the Crew, and keep track of how the National team is doing, but I still just can't get all that excited about soccer. I guess U.S. soccer needs an overhaul. We'll see how that goes.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, the US national soccer team failed to qualify for the World Cup, and quite frankly they didn't deserve to make it. I follow the Crew, and keep track of how the National team is doing, but I still just can't get all that excited about soccer. I guess U.S. soccer needs an overhaul. We'll see how that goes.
The overhaul is ongoing. Will just take a while to fix the damage Klinsmann did to domestic soccer development.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Will be interesting to see if the Indians make it past next year. Sounds like blowing playoff leads two years in a row has many of the fans about ready to give up on the team (not that it's been much of a baseball city anytime after man landed on the moon).

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Will be interesting to see if the Indians make it past next year. Sounds like blowing playoff leads two years in a row has many of the fans about ready to give up on the team (not that it's been much of a baseball city anytime after man landed on the moon).

We’re you not around for 422 consecutive sellouts?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, they pooped the bed, but they are still set up nicely for the future. The Central will be weak for the foreseeable future. They have some decisions to make this off-season, but most of their prime assets are under contract or are still under team control.

I am interested to see what happens with Brantley, Kipnis, and Santana. I don't think they will pick up Brantley's option. He has been great when healthy, but that has seldom been the case. I really do hope they keep Santana.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
My concern is that the fans may weary of the Indians blowing big playoff leads and cause attendance to reach the point that the team moves or folds (likely along with the Athletics). Admittedly, this was written largely out of frustration. Maybe I should avoid posting until the day after a loss like that.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Even during the lean years, I don't remember hearing or seeing speculation about them moving or being contracted.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Even during the lean years, I don't remember hearing or seeing speculation about them moving or being contracted.

Contraction was never seriously mentioned. They nearly moved to New Orleans in the early 70s (even had a deal to split the 1972 season between Cleveland and New Orleans before Nick Mileti bought the team and got out of the contract) and a move to St. Petersburg was likely if the Gateway sin tax vote ddn't pass (thank you Larry Nance, Mark Price, and Brad Daugherty).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My concern is that the fans may weary of the Indians blowing big playoff leads and cause attendance to reach the point that the team moves or folds (likely along with the Athletics). Admittedly, this was written largely out of frustration. Maybe I should avoid posting until the day after a loss like that.
That's my usual policy with GDTs here. For other threads, I take out my frustration on the cliffjumpers.

puckfan64

May 4, 2007
C-bus
Contraction was never seriously mentioned. They nearly moved to New Orleans in the early 70s (even had a deal to split the 1972 season between Cleveland and New Orleans before Nick Mileti bought the team and got out of the contract) and a move to St. Petersburg was likely if the Gateway sin tax vote ddn't pass (thank you Larry Nance, Mark Price, and Brad Daugherty).

And then there was the time in the late-80s when the owner wanted to move the team to Miami and tried to exercise an attendance-based escape clause in the lease to do so, but the team overcame the odds and won the division just to spite her...

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Is anyone concerned about this being a bad sign for the Blue Jackets? Mostly thinking in terms of Columbus' discomfort with spending tax money on sports venues (or renovations thereof).

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Is anyone concerned about this being a bad sign for the Blue Jackets? Mostly thinking in terms of Columbus' discomfort with spending tax money on sports venues (or renovations thereof).

Not really. Completely different ownership/venue situations. Honestly, if anything it's probably good for the Jackets, the Crew moving would effectively burn a lot of bridges between Columbus/MLS.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad