CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Following the season, Dwayne Haskins (in my opinion) was the best QB in football. Period. Today, despite the fact that I still believe Murray will be a total bust, I have serious concerns about Haskins off the field.

For one, Dwayne must have hit the Troy Smith buffet circuit after his Pro Day. JHC, dude looks like Dough Boy (Ice Cube) from Boys in the Hood. He has to be pushing 3 bills right now, and I'm not talking Buffalo Bills.

Second, his dad has turned out to be a complete nut job. Total control freak, ala LaVar Ball, who is putting himself in his son's spotlight to make a few extra bucks.

He and Dwayne have now formed the Haskins & Haskins Group, an entertainment and promotion company. They charged $50/head to attend Dwayne's draft party at a local Maryland bowling alley. His dad made everyone working the party rehearse a script that everyone greeting guests had to speak from. WTF. On top of that, Dwayne showed up to the draft party appropriately dressed like Dough Boy and stared at his phone by himself the entire time, which also happened to have a screensaver of his nude girlfriend on it for everyone to see. Who does this?

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see his dad screw up his entire career based on the way things have started.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Really, really great piece on Ryan Day.

“I’ve never dove into this in my mind,” he says. “I came from a town where who you are matters. There’s a pride in who you are. And in the sports world, it was the Celtics and the Red Sox and the Patriots. There is a sense of pride in that. That’s who we were. There’s an identity with that. And that’s what this place is. Ohio State is in the blood of every person in Ohio. If we were ever to win a national championship here, I would cry. I would cry like a baby. I would want to do a parade in Columbus and Cleveland and Cincinnati. I know what this team means to the people in this state.
That’s the way I was brought up. That’s how I was brought up in that town. That’s the way we were all brought up there. I wasn’t born in Ohio. But I know what identity is.”

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not a soccer fan but I did watch the game yesterday. Congrats to the ladies. I found it to be fairly exciting but doubt I'll be tuning in to the Premier League every Sunday morning/

Women's World Cup is the only soccer worth watching IMO

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Ohio State is in the blood of every person in Ohio. If we were ever to win a national championship here, I would cry. I would cry like a baby. I would want to do a parade in Columbus and Cleveland and Cincinnati. I know what this team means to the people in this state.

Literally makes me sick. It is that very ego-centric attitude about OSU that turns off so many of us. Believe me when I say there are scores and scores of people in Cleveland and Cinci who don't give a rat's behind about the buckeyes. I grew up near Cleveland, and my family was very much sports-oriented. After following PROFESSIONAL sports for all those years, my move to Columbus was interesting. Never felt even the tiniest bit of interest in following a college team. 30 years later...still don't. So, I think Mr. Day (who I still think is that golfer every time I read/hear his name) overestimates Cleveland and Cinci's interest in his team. Typical OSU ego-centric crapola.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Literally makes me sick. It is that very ego-centric attitude about OSU that turns off so many of us. Believe me when I say there are scores and scores of people in Cleveland and Cinci who don't give a rat's behind about the buckeyes. I grew up near Cleveland, and my family was very much sports-oriented. After following PROFESSIONAL sports for all those years, my move to Columbus was interesting. Never felt even the tiniest bit of interest in following a college team. 30 years later...still don't. So, I think Mr. Day (who I still think is that golfer every time I read/hear his name) overestimates Cleveland and Cinci's interest in his team. Typical OSU ego-centric crapola.

.....where did I say this?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:dunno: I dunno what to say. This feels very much like a "how dare he" rant over something that is, frankly, factual. The majority of sports fans in the state of Ohio are in fact Buckeye fans. Not always Buckeye fans first and foremost - other teams can come first - but still Buckeye fans. It's been confirmed before. I get why it can be frustrating, but, well, 120 years buys a heck of a lot of loyalty.

I mean, yeah, there's guys who are assholes about it, but they're assholes, so f*** 'em. That's their problem. That wasn't an asshole statement; why react as though it was?

* * *​
.....where did I say this?
You didn't; it's from a quote you posted.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
:dunno: I dunno what to say. This feels very much like a "how dare he" rant over something that is, frankly, factual. The majority of sports fans in the state of Ohio are in fact Buckeye fans. Not always Buckeye fans first and foremost - other teams can come first - but still Buckeye fans. It's been confirmed before. I get why it can be frustrating, but, well, 120 years buys a heck of a lot of loyalty.

I mean, yeah, there's guys who are *******s about it, but they're *******s, so **** 'em. That's their problem. That wasn't an ******* statement; why react as though it was?

* * *​

You didn't; it's from a quote you posted.

I get it, Viqsi, your OSU fandom runs deep. You may not have exactly unbiased views on your buckeyes and the rest of the state. I still maintain most fans in Cinci and Cleveland aren't rabid as is implied in the coach's grandiose statement. I grew up in Cleveland virtually unaware and certainly unconcerned about OSU, though DEEPLY immersed in pro sports fandom. I've lived in Cbus 30 years and still don't watch the local college games. College sports don't appeal to all sports fans.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I get it, Viqsi, your OSU fandom runs deep. You may not have exactly unbiased views on your buckeyes and the rest of the state. I still maintain most fans in Cinci and Cleveland aren't rabid as is implied in the coach's grandiose statement. I grew up in Cleveland virtually unaware and certainly unconcerned about OSU, though DEEPLY immersed in pro sports fandom. I've lived in Cbus 30 years and still don't watch the local college games. College sports don't appeal to all sports fans.
I don't doubt that. I'm just fairly certain that it puts you in the minority here in Ohio. Nothing wrong with that - and to hell with anyone who tries to suggest otherwise, and there's definitely way too many Buckeyes fans who pull that crap - but that means that comments like Day's aren't necessarily off-base.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

I agree with you 100%. It's obnoxious.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
It seems like every time I turn around, the Buckeyes still have the ball, even though they've just scored.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:facepalm:

Last damn gasp in stoppage time, one clear will get the full time whistle blown... and they manage to give the win away. That's this year's Crew for you. :shakehead

Well, at least the Jackets and Buckeyes did well.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
:facepalm:

Last damn gasp in stoppage time, one clear will get the full time whistle blown... and they manage to give the win away. That's this year's Crew for you. :shakehead

Well, at least the Jackets and Buckeyes did well.
I'm still beating my head against my coffee table over this one. All Maloney has to do is get between his man and the goal, and he lets the guy get goal-side of him. Ten more seconds was all it would have taken.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This Iowa-Michigan game is embarrassing for all involved. Iowa turns over the ball on the first play, Michigan has three plays in a row in which they fumble-and-recover, fumble-and-recover, then throw an interception... and two plays later Iowa throws an interception right back. And we're barely two thirds through the first quarter.

upload_2019-10-5_12-41-17.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad