Speculation: CBC & Rogers Secure 12-Year NHL Exclusivity Deal - TSN Loses National NHL Deal

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
My perfect scenario:

Galley returns to do Sportsnet games with Dean.
Denis Potvin returns to the drunk tank or whatever he does when he's not ruining hockey.

Or Dave Schreiber gets promoted to do games with Galley on tv, and Brown gets demoted to radio.

That would be a perfect scenario.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Mendes ****ed up. :(

The industry is incestuous by nature. If he left on good terms he could easily get back with sportsnet I think. But, yeah, seems he bet on the wrong horse.

Not related to your comment, but Sportsnet will not stay static from a production standpoint either. They've invested this much, I think we will see a positive shift in the quality of their broadcasts. Should include some personnel defections from TSN if TSN's plan B vis-a-vis NHL coverage fails to excite.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Teams won't be getting 17 million in the first few years as the money goes from $150 million a year in the first few years to over 500 million in the last few. As the money goes up from year 1 to 12.

Thus the first few years it might add 5-6 million per team.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The industry is incestuous by nature. If he left on good terms he could easily get back with sportsnet I think. But, yeah, seems he bet on the wrong horse.

Not related to your comment, but Sportsnet will not stay static from a production standpoint either. They've invested this much, I think we will see a positive shift in the quality of their broadcasts. Should include some personnel defections from TSN if TSN's plan B vis-a-vis NHL coverage fails to excite.

If I remember correctly, he left to be closer to family. He's on radio, not TV, so he'll be fine.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Keep this under wraps but to answer Sportsnet's monopoly on NHL hockey in Canada, TSN is about to make some major breakthroughs involving what some say could promise to become very new high profile sports. I'm not at liberty to provide specific details but leaks mention .... barrel fishing, octagon bowling, Velcro darts, a Tittily winks hybrid and bobbing for worms (don't ask).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Keep this under wraps but to answer Sportsnet's monopoly on NHL hockey in Canada, TSN is about to make some major breakthroughs involving what some say could promise to become very new high profile sports. I'm not at liberty to provide specific details but leaks mention .... barrel fishing, octagon bowling, Velcro darts, a Tittily winks hybrid and bobbing for worms (don't ask).

I'm kind of hoping SlamBall makes a resurgence.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Any chance TSN picks up our rights after this season ends since our contract with Sportsnet is up??? Because that would be ****ing fantastic if we get games on TSN.

I would expect TSN to go very hard after each regional deal as they become available. TSN 1200 move indicates that they like the Ottawa market. Having regional rights and radio would provide synergies

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I would expect TSN to go very hard after each regional deal as they become available. TSN 1200 move indicates that they like the Ottawa market. Having regional rights and radio would provide synergies

No thanks. If they liked us that much they would have put our game on TSN instead of the Leafs tonight. Rogers has dropped TSN2 from their main bundle but provide a preview until next spring so I was able to watch this game. I am not planning on paying extra to Bell just to get TSN2 back next year. I wouldn't trust Bell to put us on TSN2 just so Rogers customers have to pay extra to watch the Sens.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
The nice thing about the national Sat & Sun broadcasts is that either the Leafs will play back-to-back most weeks or other Canadian teams will get more national exposure.

utah

Apr 12, 2006

Tittily winks eh.....

Is this a new version of Tiddlywinks where the ladies play topless?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Well, there are some legit and fun sports that don't get enough coverage and would be attractive to a Canadian audience: track & fields, speed skating, rugby, bobsled, swimming, skiing, basically a whole bunch of sports and superstar athletes (including plenty of Canadians!) we only get to see during the Olympics, and the casual viewer usually has no idea who they are.

They show some of that stuff occasionally, but it's not even live usually, and if they advertized the heck out of them like they do with Curling and CFL they could be just as popular, if not more.

More generally, sports coverage in North America is limited to a handful of sports. In Europe you get to watch a much wider range.

member 137785

The day the deal was announced I got a robo-call from Rogers saying my VIP package had been upgraded to include TSN and TSN2 in HD at no cost to me....sounds like they are trying to head off any CRTC issues.

For Ottawa fans there is very little change, Sportsnet already does 90%+ of Sens games. I'd be fine if TSN gets the regional rights next year as well, now that they are in my Rogers package.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I'm just happy there is no more blackouts! As long as gamecenter remains the same or gets better (no price hike please) I'm happy. As a Sens fan trapped in Leafs first coverage zone this is a very good thing.

Only downside is its gonna kill CBC, there top rated show is now 100% controlled by Rogers? How messed up is that.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm just happy there is no more blackouts! As long as gamecenter remains the same or gets better (no price hike please) I'm happy. As a Sens fan trapped in Leafs first coverage zone this is a very good thing.

Only downside is its gonna kill CBC, there top rated show is now 100% controlled by Rogers? How messed up is that.

Apparently this deal is costing nothing for the CBC but they are losing something like $200M in advertising and spinoff revenue plus they are surrendering total editorial control. Other programming in the same time slot might not garner near the dollar amounts NHL games do but surely the net loss would be reduced. All that just to maintain a facade of bearing the now shared label HNIC.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Apparently this deal is costing nothing for the CBC but they are losing something like $200M in advertising and spinoff revenue plus they are surrendering total editorial control. Other programming in the same time slot might not garner near the dollar amounts NHL games do but surely the net loss would be reduced. All that just to maintain a facade of bearing the now shared label HNIC.

Yep. I'd rather CBC start a new tradition rather than run a shell for profit for Rogers. Indirectly our tax dollars are supporting Rogers' bottomline since that loss is going to need to be covered by us.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Yep. I'd rather CBC start a new tradition rather than run a shell for profit for Rogers. Indirectly our tax dollars are supporting Rogers' bottomline since that loss is going to need to be covered by us.

Better yet, privatize the CBC and save billions of tax dollars

Milan the God*

@BonksMullet: On @TSN1200 right now. RT @Sens_Army_ "I really hope we get the Sens regional package, I think we will" - James Duthie

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If TSN can do for the Sens on a regional level what they've done for the NHL as a whole on a national level, then I hope it happens. Make us popular in our own town TSN, please.

Milan the God*

The Globe and Mail has an article saying that the battle for Sens TV rights is going to be "fierce". This is great news for Melnyk and the team. I really hope TSN wins it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad