Speculation: CBC & Rogers Secure 12-Year NHL Exclusivity Deal - TSN Loses National NHL Deal

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I'd imagine we'd still be hearing plenty of Dean and Denny on Sportsnet broadcasts.

I guess, how many games would we get though? If Rogers has exclusive rights to 3 days then we probably get 2 games most weeks. But if we are playing Montreal on a Saturday/Montreal is playing the Leafs on Saturday/Montreal isn't playing on Saturday we would get CBC guys

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
The Globe and Mail has an article saying that the battle for Sens TV rights is going to be "fierce". This is great news for Melnyk and the team. I really hope TSN wins it.

The relevant quote from that article in some context:
---
Rogers and BCE each hold 37.5 per cent of the parent company of the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs – and the tension that already existed between the communications competitors was ratcheted up when Rogers swiped the NHL contract out from under BCE.

Battles on several NHL fronts lie ahead for Rogers and BCE in the wake of the stunning decision by the NHL to go with Rogers.

While Rogers already has regional broadcast contracts with four of the seven Canadian NHL teams – the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers are on long-term deals, while the Maple Leafs will be shared with TSN beginning in 2015-16 – a couple of contracts are up next summer.

The bidding is expected to be fierce for the regional rights to Ottawa Senators games and the French-language rights to Montreal Canadiens games.

Last edited:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm just happy there is no more blackouts! As long as gamecenter remains the same or gets better (no price hike please) I'm happy. As a Sens fan trapped in Leafs first coverage zone this is a very good thing.

Only downside is its gonna kill CBC, there top rated show is now 100% controlled by Rogers? How messed up is that.

Protip:

Use a vpn and sign up for game center from Europe. They charge Canadians $170. I paid $100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad