Speculation: CBC & Rogers Secure 12-Year NHL Exclusivity Deal - TSN Loses National NHL Deal

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
CBC loses its Saturday night Leafs games... there goes another tradition...

Do you think Rogers will force them to show other teams nationally in that time slot every Saturday? Like it or not the Laffs are the biggest draw in English Canada on that night in that time slot and it still lets them show a western team as the 2nd game. According to Bill Daly, while the CBC won't have to pay for the rights to broadcast the game (so as he says taxpayers aren't paying for NHL games) the money they make will go to Rogers so it benefits Rogers to let them draw the largest audience possible to maximize advertising revenues. Depending on the agreement it's possible that nothing stops Rogers from putting other games on Sportsnet in the same time slot if they so choose.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
According to Bill Daly, while the CBC won't have to pay for the rights to broadcast the game (so as he says taxpayers aren't paying for NHL games) the money they make will go to Rogers so it benefits Rogers to let them draw the largest audience possible to maximize advertising revenues.

So what benefit does the CBC gain from this if they're not making money from it?
Still hurts the overall bottom line as now rather than having a profitable 6h block of TV, there's now a 3h black hole and another 3h of filler. So in effect we're paying taxes for Rogers to get free advertising money.

I'd rather CBC pay for rights for amateur sports to promote in that slot.

Also going to suck lose the free streaming of all the playoff games on cbc.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
So what benefit does the CBC gain from this if they're not making money from it?
Still hurts the overall bottom line as now rather than having a profitable 6h block of TV, there's now a 3h black hole and another 3h of filler. So in effect we're paying taxes for Rogers to get free advertising money.

Daly said it lets CBC use the games for marketing purposes for their other shows to draw in viewers... something to that effect. I'd imagine this is above their production costs. I'm sure they'll repeat this on one of their Sportsnet channels or online. Check SNE or SNO at 6:00 p.m. in case they replay it then.

btw) I agree it's somewhat of a shell game because CBC made money off their Sat night games. The full implications aren't clear yet.

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Don't get all the hard-core love for TSN? Not a major fan of that station. I mean they're okay but at least Sportsnet does pay attention to Ottawa as stipulated.

Okay we all hate the CBC so I won't argue there.

They only pay attention to Ottawa because they do our regional broadcasts...pretty sure that's gone now.

Leafs TV may have just replaced HNIC.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

CBC isn't only for making a profit

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
CBC isn't only for making a profit

Agreed. In fact I think they're actually a non-profit.
But, the more revenue that they're able to generate - the more that they can put back into their actual mission.
They've lost a huge revenue generation resource - and turning it into a shell which mostly just benefits Rogers.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ive been watching sportsnet for the last hour... and they talk about themselves highly the entire time.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Agreed. In fact I think they're actually a non-profit.
But, the more revenue that they're able to generate - the more that they can put back into their actual mission.
They've lost a huge revenue generation resource - and turning it into a shell which mostly just benefits Rogers.

I would say broadcasting hockey would be part of their goal. It would be better if they could make money, but that doesn't seem possible

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Man this is giving me a headache, I live in northern ontario here I get SNO, city tv, cbc and tva, I hope I get to watch Sens games next season. :help:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Man this is giving me a headache, I live in northern ontario here I get SNO, city tv, cbc and tva, I hope I get to watch Sens games next season. :help:
According to what was said, Rogers owns the regional broadcast rights to the Sens and a few other Canadian teams but only limited regional rights to the Leafs (maybe because of co-ownership with BCE ... my assumption) so if your in an out-of-market area you have a very high probably of getting Sens games broadcast on Wed., Sat. and Sun. The only issue is that the game may jump around between any one of those English channels depending on who else is playing at the same time. You may need all the Sportsnet channels to be sure though. Sounds that in some cases e.g. some Leaf games people will be able to buy a monthly package approx. $5-$6 which will allow them to get the blacked out games

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
According to what was said, Rogers owns the regional broadcast rights to the Sens and a few other Canadian teams but only limited regional rights to the Leafs so if your in an out-of-market area you have a very high probably of getting Sens games broadcast on Wed., Sat. and Sun. The only issue is that the game may jump around between any one of those English channels depending on who else is playing at the same time. Sounds that in some cases e.g. some Leaf games people will be able to buy a monthly package approx. $6-$7 which will allow them to get the blacked out games

Thank you for your reply, now I can relax knowing I will be able to watch the Sens next season. :)

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
TVA Sports? Is that an english channel?

French in the 600+ on Rogers

edit:
I was recording so couldn't do a search at the time of posting but after checking for me on Rogers, TVA Sport SD is on 656 and HD on 657

The regular TVA (CHOT) is on 10 and 610 and in HD 611 but it's not clear if they will show hockey on those channels since they have dedicated sports channels for that purpose.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I hate rogers. They realize that television is going under and the feds are opening up telecomms. The distribution channels that their monopoly is built on are being tested. They're shifting into another type of monopoly. It's what's known in the business world as a "pivot".

My only hope: They drop the regional blackouts on GCL, keep the price within the stratosphere and don't make me bundle it with anything.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I hate rogers. They realize that television is going under and the feds are opening up telecomms. The distribution channels that their monopoly is built on are being tested. They're shifting into another type of monopoly. It's what's known in the business world as a "pivot".

My only hope: They drop the regional blackouts on GCL, keep the price within the stratosphere and don't make me bundle it with anything.

I'm in the same boat. I feel like it's unlikely though.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Oh, ok. I have Rogers, so what channels would City and SN360 be?

SN360 SD is supposed to be on 52 (maybe 53 for some) and/or 411 on Rogers and HD on 509. For me it shows up on 52, 411 and 509.

For me HDCTY is on 15 and 519 but CityT is on 133 and CityW is on 139 and HCTYV is on 583. Those are the channels I found after a quick manual search but yours may differ with your bundles.

Last edited:

Milan the God*

SN360 SD is supposed to be on 52 (maybe 53 for some) and/or 411 on Rogers and HD on 509. For me it shows up on 52, 411 and 509.

For me HDCTY is on 15 and 519 but CityT is on 133 and CityW is on 139 and HCTYV is on 583. Those are the channels I found after a quick manual search but yours may differ with your bundles.

Alright, thanks. Did SN360 replace The Score or something cause that was 52 for me.

I'll check it out soon. Thanks again.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

On a personal level, this is what I'm worried about. I've already cut cable, I'd rather pay 150 for my hockey and 5 bucks a month for a VPN. But if they mess up GCL, I will be pissed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad