Speculation: CBC & Rogers Secure 12-Year NHL Exclusivity Deal - TSN Loses National NHL Deal

Milan the God*

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout

Josh ‏@CdnSportsMedia 1m
Massive news about NHL TV contracts coming out this evening. Sounds as though TSN is out and CBC and Sportsnet will pick up rights.

BrianWilde ‏@BWildeCTV 2m
I would not be surprised one bit if there is a shocking change to the NHL coverage landscape.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bob MacKenzie reporting 2 Canadian Stations on the verge of signing 10+ years contracts with NHL will net them Billions and people(educated analysts) think that TSN is the odd man out.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What I would like to see.

-Sportsnet continues their "non-marquee games" broadcast, but shows out of market games that don't conflict with in market games. (IE Ottawa is broadcast in Alberta is Cgy/Edm aren't playing)

-HNIC broadcasts only 2 games each Saturday. Both games are all Canadian matchups and national broadcasts, and one is broadcast from the east and one from the west. No team (Toronto...) is shown three weeks in a row, or doesn't play more than two weeks in a row. The 4th "back to back spot" each week rotates (I have checked, there are enough games to do this)

-Same playoff format for choosing series

Qward: I find CBC gives us more respect than TSN. CBC seems to feel at least compelled to acknowledge us

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
im a financial nube, at the moment, nd i am planning on getting my major in finance :help:

question is does this help Melynk?

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Sounds really dumb. The only analysts I watch and opinions I care about are on TSN, especially Bob.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
im a financial nube, at the moment, nd i am planning on getting my major in finance :help:

question is does this help Melynk?

Yes. He gets a portion of the network deal.
It also helps him because Sportsnet does local broadcasting generating local advertisement which the Sens get part of. National games like HNIC do not generate additional revenue for the team.

Milan the God*

It may create extra revenue for the Sens which is good, plus we get our own announces which is cool...

BUT

I will miss TSN games. Chris Cuthbert is the best play-by-play man in the NHL, Gord Miller is very good as well. I always loved the Quiz...it had personality. They knew how to joke around yet be professional. James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Aaron Ward. All three bring unique traits are I thought they worked really well together. Not looking forward to having them replaced by two meatheads in Kypreos and McLean.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
TSN has always been my least favorite broadcast anyways.

Also, does this mean the original HNIC song will never be heard again?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It may create extra revenue for the Sens which is good, plus we get our own announces which is cool...

BUT

I will miss TSN games. Chris Cuthbert is the best play-by-play man in the NHL, Gord Miller is very good as well. I always loved the Quiz...it had personality. They knew how to joke around yet be professional. James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Aaron Ward. All three bring unique traits are I thought they worked really well together. Not looking forward to having them replaced by two meatheads in Kypreos and McLean.

They will still be there. They just won't be broadcasting games.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The three most important events were covered brilliantly by TSN.

Trade deadline, draft, free agency.

Who the hell will come close to how good they've covered that?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I guess how this will end up working is CBC will carry a lot more All Canadian match ups during the week instead of TSN's Wednesday night hockey. Sportsnet probably still carries about the same number of games. MAYBE we get more Saturday night games? I won't hold my breath though, more likely we play on Saturday afternoon against Canadian teams, Buffalo, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Once again, they will still be covering those. They just won't be broadcasting games.

Milan the God*

They will still be there. They just won't be broadcasting games.

Still not the same, though. They're a great panel, but not sure if I'll go out of my way to watch the panel if it's not on during a game I'm watching. I already dedicate 2.5-3 hours on game nights to watching it.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

They'll definitely still cover the deadline and free agency. Question is definitely what happens with the draft coverage. MAYBE it works out better if Sportsnet carries it. They have a ton of different channels so maybe they can actually give us full day 2 coverage. They'll need some actual draft experts. Sam Cosintino (sp?) is a good start. They need to pick up a Craig Button or Pierre McGuire though. I'll do it for under 100k.

Milan the God*

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1m
Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

Bam.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
More sportsnet means more Dean and Denis. TSN barely pays attention to the Sens as it is. CBC are the worst for always being against us.

Sportsnet also makes the Sens more money.

Edit: Also, how much did CTV pay for the original HNIC song?

Don't get all the hard-core love for TSN? Not a major fan of that station. I mean they're okay but at least Sportsnet does pay attention to Ottawa as stipulated.

Okay we all hate the CBC so I won't argue there.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Once again, they will still be covering those. They just won't be broadcasting games.

They'll definitely still cover the deadline and free agency. Question is definitely what happens with the draft coverage. MAYBE it works out better if Sportsnet carries it. They have a ton of different channels so maybe they can actually give us full day 2 coverage. They'll need some actual draft experts. Sam Cosintino (sp?) is a good start. They need to pick up a Craig Button or Pierre McGuire though. I'll do it for under 100k.

Haha, really? Phewwwwwww well that's a relief.

Whatever carry on, boys. As long as TSN doing those and SN showing games I don't care.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
all i understand here is that we can now afford to trade for players to help the team...i hope

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad