CBC.ca: Why Leafs feel need to sign Phaneuf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
As been mentioned, a no brainer to sign Phaneuf, and it seems both sides want a deal doen. I hope it comes together. Quite amazing really, when and if Phaneuf signs long term. the ammount of long term contracts and core players on the team vs 3-4 years ago. This team has had a huge transition and has set themsleves up for long term future success. Brian Burke may have been the best thing to happen to this team in a very very long time.

I think Nonis has been negotiating these deals.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It'd go a lot easier for Dion, too w/ the media, as there are a lot more things expected of a $6.5M defensemen (even if he's 37 at the time) than there are of a $5.5M defensemen.

he's not getting anything under 6m, and even anything under 6.5m is unlikely.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I think Nonis has been negotiating these deals.

Seeing how Burke is no longer employed by MLSE it is obvious Nonis and his staff have been responsible for the negotiations. The core that is here was brought on by Burke and his staff. Kessel/Lupul/Bozak/Jvr/Kadri/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Reilly...the list goes on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Been putting some thought to this, it's a difficult value to put on Dion. He's our best D man, pretty sure he wants to stay. Would prefer him closer to 6 than 7. If we offer him max years perhaps we can sign him to a lower cap hit.

Bolland is a guy I want locked up. Need to allocate every dollar and sign guys that want to be Leafs at fair to hometown discounts. 2 key pieces, Nonis will be busy next summer.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Seeing how Burke is no longer employed by MLSE it is obvious Nonis and his staff have been responsible for the negotiations. The core that is here was brought on by Burke and his staff. Kessel/Lupul/Bozak/Jvr/Kadri/Phaneuf/Gardiner/Reilly...the list goes on.

Bernier, Clarkson, Bolland, Raymond, Ranger the list goes on. Burke become.ing less relevant and who knows if he would have negotiated the new deals in the same manner?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Bernier, Clarkson, Bolland, Raymond, Ranger the list goes on. Burke become.ing less relevant and who knows if he would have negotiated the new deals in the same manner?

I should have known better, someone would chirp about Burke if brought up. The thread is about Phaneuf; i'm glad he was brought in, and hopeful he is signed long term to the team. Point still stands, looks like a very good and young core signed long term.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I should have known better, someone would chirp about Burke if brought up. The thread is about Phaneuf; i'm glad he was brought in, and hopeful he is signed long term to the team. Point still stands, looks like a very good and young core signed long term.

So next time don't bring him up sheesh

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Obviously you can only consider contracts made under the same situations.

Current CBA is more important than previous CBA's, so don't try and compare a 12 year loop hole deal with today's no hide the cap in the minors deals.

The old CBA allowed you to minor league mistakes that cannot happen today, so let's pay attention to the rules of the current CBA.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'm confident a long term deal will get done.

It would be crippling to lose him, think Philly losing Pronger. Not saying Phaneuf is as good as Pronger, but it would just be a simply massive blow to our chance of contending.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
We'll probably see his current cap being extended as a discount. I can't see anything less considering the amount Suter and Weber are getting paid. Those two are ridiculously overrated, and yes, it can be seen by watching the games.

Give Phaneuf a partner like Brodin, Josi or Jones, and you'd see much greater performance. We should be building around him rather than attempting to save cap space by moving him.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
If Phaneuf gets anything more than 5 mil over 5 years, he's overpaid and overtermed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We'll probably see his current cap being extended as a discount. I can't see anything less considering the amount Suter and Weber are getting paid. Those two are ridiculously overrated, and yes, it can be seen by watching the games.

Give Phaneuf a partner like Brodin, Josi or Jones, and you'd see much greater performance. We should be building around him rather than attempting to save cap space by moving him.

that wouldn't surprise me one bit. MAYBE a touch of a raise. it's so quiet on the Phaneuf front, it's hard to speculate too much - but i totally see Phaneuf caving on the dollars if he gets the years. and you know, I can live with that.

and i'm not worried about it. it goes under it gets done, or it doesn't. but Like I've said. Phaneuf and Nonis are on the same page. he wants to stay, Nonis wants him to stay so that's 1/2 the battle done right there.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
IMHO it would be a genius move for Phaneuf to take a slight pay cut, he'd get so much respect and lowered expectations, I think his game would benefit from the reduced pressure too. He's made his big money already,you never know he might consider taking 6m x 8 years good deal both sides.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
IMHO it would be a genius move for Phaneuf to take a slight pay cut, he'd get so much respect and lowered expectations, I think his game would benefit from the reduced pressure too. He's made his big money already,you never know he might consider taking 6m x 8 years good deal both sides.

8+ million over the life of a contract you are signing in your prime is not something I see him doing. I don't care what people would think, I wouldnt leave that much off the table just for respect.

leafstilldeath*

Was a non-BeLeafer in Dion. But I have seen calmness and less boneheadedness in his play this year (Because Contract year?).

would still prefer a better D than Dion if available BUT am not as opposed to resigning Dion as I was before as Dion certainly seems to have matured in his defensive game. PLUS He seems to have lost a bit of weight and put on muscle mass as I can see him moving much better on the ice than previous years (visually it can also be seen with Dion's face fat a bit down ;))

leafstilldeath*

Quite frankly if Dion does that I would whole heartedly accept him as my Captain (I am not there yet...) That would be a class act!

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If Phaneuf gets anything more than 5 mil over 5 years, he's overpaid and overtermed.

Any top UFA's get 6-7 years on a new deal. Looking at the crop of UFA d-men next summer he's the best available. When your in that position you will get way more then 5x5. The leafs won't find a replacement in the UFA crop for Phaneuf and no teams that have a d-man better then him are trading one. Resigning Phaneuf is the best option for the leafs.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The Leafs obviously need to re-up Phaneuf for lack of better options. But they should be wary of giving him a high caphit over 7-8 years. Phaneuf is 28 years old, if we're paying a declining, slower Phaneuf 6+ million dollars/year it will hurt us just like the Clarkson contract is going to hurt us. Best to go for a tapered salary structure.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.

with all the hatred for dion on this board do you really expect the bolded.
some posters just look at the name not the body of work

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
8+ million over the life of a contract you are signing in your prime is not something I see him doing. I don't care what people would think, I wouldnt leave that much off the table just for respect.

Did you actually try to break down the salary season by season? To me, the quoted response below seems more than reasonable considering the age of the player.

If management does want to go for 8 years, which as I said above, I think that one will be a mistake and he will be difficult to trade down the road if we need to, but heres what I'd like to see

8 years - 44 million ~ 5.5 mill cap hit

7 -7- 6- 6- 5- 5- 4- 4-

Puts his contract in line with most of the other elite defensemen. We get a discount on caphit. Dion gets paid until 37 and very likely retires a leaf. Wins all around.

29-30 ==> $7M per
31-32 ==> $6M per
33-34 ==> $5M per
35-36 ==> $4M per

Can you honestly make the argument that he'd be worth at least $1-1.5M more per season. 37 yo Phaneuf with the actual salary of $5M? That's almost Pronger territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad