CBC.ca: Why Leafs feel need to sign Phaneuf

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
agreed with comment above, 6 year 7m or 8 years 6m, the longer he wants the less the AAV should be.

He'll be a great d-man until about 34-35 i'd say, then he'll be good, but a little overpaid.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Dion played his worst game of the season tonight, but it is a long year. I would wait until after Christmas and see what shakes out.

He wasn't on the ice for any EV goals against (he was on for one PPG against), had 2 assists and finished +2. He was great tonight, very steady.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Based on what Elliot Friedman said it sounds like the Leafs don't mind giving Phanuef a long term deal and I'm going to assume it's 8 years, if his salary will be a bit less. Plus prior to this we heard how Phaneuf wants to stay, so I think it's a matter of time before a new deal gets worked out.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Based on what Elliot Friedman said it sounds like the Leafs don't mind giving Phanuef a long term deal and I'm going to assume it's 8 years, if his salary will be a bit less. Plus prior to this we heard how Phaneuf wants to stay, so I think it's a matter of time before a new deal gets worked out.

Pretty much, my feelings. And I think it'll be done before the end of October.

BayStreetBullies*

8-yr/56 mil

7.5, 7.5, 7, 7, 7, 7, 6.5, 6.5

OR

7-yr/49 mil

7.5, 7.5, 7, 7, 7, 6.5, 6.5

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Clearly Phaneuf is a number 1 D. currently there are only 7 defenceman in the league with a higher cap hit than Phaneuf. If there are 30 number 1's in the league, going by their cap hits Niklas Kronwall is 30th with a caphit of 4.75. If Phaneuf gets a raise the question should be is he one of the top 5 defenders in the league. The talk of whether he is a number 1 or not is just silly.
http://capgeek.com/leaders/?season=2013&type=CAP_HIT&position=D&limit=50

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Without Phaneuf this defense would be much worse.

8 year deal in the range of ~6-6.5M is good. They said that Dion is willing to take a paycut if given the term.

I have no problem signing Dion till he's 37.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
What game were you watching? He had 2 assists, and was +2.

The Oilers didn't do much damage to the Leafs when Phaneuf was on the ice, despite him playing the bulk of his shifts against Hall's line.

Most of the breakdowns happened while the 2nd and 3rd pairs were on the ice. Dion was on for just one goal against, and that was on a 5-on-3.
Seems like you weren't watching the game, considering you just threw out stats and nothing else.
I really like Dion, but he had a terrible game last night. He turned it over and over and caused a lot of grief in our own zone.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
People still think he gets less than his current deal? Please, get with the times. He's getting over 7. Only way its under 7 is if he gets something like 8 years at 55 mil which would be just under 7 but he gets long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->