CBC.ca: Why Leafs feel need to sign Phaneuf

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/hotstove-tonight-why-leafs-feel-need-to-sign-phaneuf-1.2021738

Hotstove Tonight: Why Leafs feel need to sign Phaneuf

Toronto blue-liner a free agent after season

CBC Sports Posted: Oct 12, 2013 7:56 PM ET | Last Updated: Oct 12, 2013 7:56 PM ET

The Toronto Maple Leafs should feel pressure to lock up their captain, according to Glenn Healy and Elliotte Friedman.

The duo explained during their Hotstove Tonight segment on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday why the Leafs need to lock up the defenceman, who becomes an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Healy talked about Phaneuf's goal scoring prowess over the last several years and how the blue-liner will be tough to replace via free agency.

Last edited:

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
He'd easily become one of the biggest ticket FA defenseman we've seen I quite some time. 29 other teams would happily have him and we should be retaining him.

UFancyHuh

May 29, 2008
Lost
really hope we can sign this man. he gets too much **** but our defense corp would look horribad w/o him.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Ryan Suter? He was available just 2 years ago...

Well 'technically' but it seems like Suter and Parise had a 'wink and nod' agreement in place long before free agency that they were going to Minny.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Phil might not even be our best forward, let alone best player.

There's only one leaf who's our go-to guy in both the toughest offensive situations, and the toughest defensive situations, and that's the Captain, our best player.

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
After tonight Dion will be flirting with top 10 scoring, top 10 hits, top 10 blocked shots, top 10 steals, top 10 time on ice.

Through 6 games he's only been on the ice for 4 of the team's 15 goals against.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Dion played his worst game of the season tonight, but it is a long year. I would wait until after Christmas and see what shakes out.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
6 years, 7 million each year
or
8 years, 6 million each year

he'll be 29 hitting free agency. players are beyond their prime by 35. Phaneuf has an excellent 6 years ahead of him, but his play will worsen beyond that. So if he wants the full 8 years, then he'll have to take a pay cut.

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Dion played his worst game of the season tonight, but it is a long year. I would wait until after Christmas and see what shakes out.

What game were you watching? He had 2 assists, and was +2.

The Oilers didn't do much damage to the Leafs when Phaneuf was on the ice, despite him playing the bulk of his shifts against Hall's line.

Most of the breakdowns happened while the 2nd and 3rd pairs were on the ice. Dion was on for just one goal against, and that was on a 5-on-3.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
Not sure I'd want to sign Phaneuf for 8 years actually at a high cap hit....would put him at 37 at the end of the contract. (Turns 29 next April)

In an ideal world, I'd like to do a 6x6 contract and then reevaluate and follow that up with a retirement contract around 3-4 million if he's still able to play at a decent level. My concern is that Phaneuf plays a pretty physical game and already isn't the speediest guy out there. He could end up being injured a bunch as he gets older and we'd be stuck with an albatross contract.

To me, the 8 year contract should only go to Kessel. 8 years is an absurdly long time and those contracts should only be used on the super elite players who are the face of their respective franchises (like a Kessel, Tavares, Eric Staal etc.)

In conclusion, sign Phaneuf for 6 years or less, because I think that one will bite us if we sign him for 8.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I don't even care to hear what stupid reasons Healy came up with for why we need to resign Phaneuf.

When not overplayed he's our key defenceman. I may not always love some things he does out there, but he's a huge piece and losing him would make our defence even worse which is a frightening thought to comprehend. Plus he is the captain of this group so all the more reason.

I just hope we can get him re-signed for reasonable price. He's already highly paid so a raise is just getting silly.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not sure I'd want to sign Phaneuf for 8 years actually at a high cap hit....would put him at 37 at the end of the contract. (Turns 29 next April)

In an ideal world, I'd like to do a 6x6 contract and then reevaluate and follow that up with a retirement contract around 3-4 million if he's still able to play at a decent level. My concern is that Phaneuf plays a pretty physical game and already isn't the speediest guy out there. He could end up being injured a bunch as he gets older and we'd be stuck with an albatross contract.

To me, the 8 year contract should only go to Kessel. 8 years is an absurdly long time and those contracts should only be used on the super elite players who are the face of their respective franchises (like a Kessel, Tavares, Eric Staal etc.)

In conclusion, sign Phaneuf for 6 years or less, because I think that one will bite us if we sign him for 8.

I'm ok with a 8 for Dion, use the last 3 years to lower the AVV and deal with the consequences 5/6 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad