Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
First, they didn't understand the context of that remark. He meant this kid is good and I'm not trading him, unless some team were to offer me the moon.

Second, MB was right not to trade him - unless some team offered him the moon.

Goaltending is such an important position. We now may have Price's soon to be backup (for a total elite tandem, no more great #1 and an unreliable #2), plus Price's successor.

I've said it before, but I think it could work: have Lindgren as the injury reserve backup for Price next year in MTL. Have Price play all non-back to back games. Call Primeau up to play the 2nd of back to back games then send him right back to Laval where he plays the lion share of the games. A young goalie needs to play a lot. Lindgren can play in Laval during the brief stints Primeau is up.

Lindgren’s finished here. You look at his age and contract which he still hasn’t made the team on a one way and garbage backup situation on our team two years in a row and the writing is on the wall. He’s using up a roster spot at this place.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lindgren’s finished here. You look at his age and contract which he still hasn’t made the team on a one way and garbage backup situation on our team two years in a row and the writing is on the wall. He’s using up a roster spot at this place.

i don't think you understood the way i'm suggesting using him in the NHL: only if theres an in game injury to Price. Otherwise, when we're planning on using a back up, we call up Primeau in advance. But we don't make Primeau the permanent back up in mtl, because that's too much sitting for a young goalie. So Lindgren is there to sit on the bench and only play if there's an injury.

who else would be better suited and or willing to do that?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If there's injuries or Kinkaid sucks, i'm not afraid of calling him up either….still, don't mix up things here.
In Montreal we chew up our prospect and spit them out at first sign of weakness (look how medias is dealing with KK right now) and goaltender it's like 10x worst than any other position.

I know it's easy to get excited but as i said for Price and NHL goalie….when you look stats based on % , it takes at least 15-20 games to settle a little and now it's too volatile to put certainty in our evaluation.

For example. let's say next game Primeau has a bad one ( or the team completely sucks) and let in...5 goals on 20 ..then ishots ….his stats drop to 92.6%. It's encouraging for sure…...but we're still far away from drinking the bubble.

Why, oh why did i wrote this bolded part…..i jinx him.
Still…..prove once again that every stats base on % are extremely volatile at this stage of the season.

Reactions: kevsavard95

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm starting to think he may be our best prospect. I'd certainly rank him right there with Suzuki and KK ( if we can still consider him a prospect) and above Poehling, Caufield, Brook and Romanov. Having a successor to Price would be such a relief down the road.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's got a .934 save percentage which at first glance seems crazy good. But that puts him in a tie for 7th in the league. They got some stingy goalies down there.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
So if Primeau continues along this development curve, what's the timeline for him? Can we pencil him in as our backup next year? We could play him more than most backups which would help keep Price fresh, but also give Primeau the PT he needs. After that who knows. It seems as though we are heading towards a crossroads where we will either have to trade Price or Primeau, as the kid is on the fast track.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So if Primeau continues along this development curve, what's the timeline for him? Can we pencil him in as our backup next year? We could play him more than most backups which would help keep Price fresh, but also give Primeau the PT he needs. After that who knows. It seems as though we are heading towards a crossroads where we will either have to trade Price or Primeau, as the kid is on the fast track.

I think he needs to play more games than a backup gets. I'd have him as the #1 in Laval and call him up for back to backs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm starting to think he may be our best prospect. I'd certainly rank him right there with Suzuki and KK ( if we can still consider him a prospect) and above Poehling, Caufield, Brook and Romanov. Having a successor to Price would be such a relief down the road.
I wouldn't put Primeau above Caufield. Goalies are a wildcard.

Reactions: phillytennis

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think he needs to play more games than a backup gets. I'd have him as the #1 in Laval and call him up for back to backs.
At somepoint he's going to have to do the backup goalie thing in the NHL. You don't just hand the keys to your franchise to a goalie who's never played in the NHL before. There needs to be a buffer year where they get their feet wet as a backup.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
At somepoint he's going to have to do the backup goalie thing in the NHL. You don't just hand the keys to your franchise to a goalie who's never played in the NHL before. There needs to be a buffer year where they get their feet wet as a backup.

Yes that buffer year should be as late as possible - i suppose the first year he's no longer waiver exempt. I don't think that's next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Primeau is now 2.10 and 0.928 in 8 games. @TatTar

He's back under 2.00 GAA again...

uvgaNBi.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't put Primeau above Caufield. Goalies are a wildcard.

I would have Caufield over Primeau as well but I don't think we can just say Primeau is just some goalie prospect at this point in time. Not all goalie prospects are created equal and Primeau is trending very very good. That's not ignored with scouts and they look at things much deeper than fans do.

Look at Hawkey for example. His NCAA stats are also very very good but he's playing ECHL this year in his 1st pro season as a 24 year old.

Primeau is the cream of the crop in terms of goalie prospects. He has more value than some are willing to admit cause some think "goalies" have no value. The issue is not all goalies are the same and it's weird to pretend they are. What Primeau has done in 9 AHL games is a major factor from what he was worth last season vs this season. It's working the opposite with Poehling and Brook.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Primeau's stats since being drafted are nothing short of incredible. The worst Sv Pct he's had wherever he's played (WJC, NCAA, AHL), was his first year in the NCAA at .931...that's insane.

2017-2018 (NCAA)- .931
2018=2019 (NCAA)- .933
2018-2019 (WJC)- .936
2019-2020 (AHL)- .934

So basically, in the 84 non exhibition games he's played since he was drafted, he has kept a + .930 sv pct

Reactions: cphabs and Redux91

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
With the farm club in Laval Primeau could easily play 25 games as a backup next year for Montreal, and 20 games at home for Laval. That would allow him a proper workload with minimal travel time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Primeau's stats since being drafted are nothing short of incredible. The worst Sv Pct he's had wherever he's played (WJC, NCAA, AHL), was his first year in the NCAA at .931...that's insane.

2017-2018 (NCAA)- .931
2018=2019 (NCAA)- .933
2018-2019 (WJC)- .936
2019-2020 (AHL)- .934

So basically, in the 84 non exhibition games he's played since he was drafted, he has kept a + .930 sv pct

He is looking elite level or putting up insane numbers earlier than just some "goalie prospect". Look at Hawkey for example... he had great NCAA numbers as well and is playing ECHL at 24 in his first pro season.

Not all goalie prospects created equal so not sure why some are pretending it to be.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With the farm club in Laval Primeau could easily play 25 games as a backup next year for Montreal, and 20 games at home for Laval. That would allow him a proper workload with minimal travel time.

I've never heard of a young goalie doing such a split. But it makes too much sense not to do so.

For me it's simple: as soon as Primeau shows he's ready to be better than some cheap, mediocre veteran backup we can sign, have Primeau play the 2nd night of back-to-backs, and then after the game send him back down to Laval where he plays the lion share of the games. That way Price plays a lot, Primeau plays a lot, and we have the best goalies in the organization playing every game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

It's tough to say, I would assume they have Primeau as the full on starter next year and then have him get in some games at some point. The problem is you can't trade Price at any point until he wants out. So I think a lot of it will come down to Price, if he goes to management in the off-season and says he doesn't want to mentor the kid or he wants to win a cup now, then that would change the plan. If Price doesn't want out, then at some point they may have to look at trading Primeau.

2017-2018 (NCAA)- .931
2018=2019 (NCAA)- .933
2018-2019 (WJC)- .936
2019-2020 (AHL)- .934

i've been saying how impressed I was with him, I watch a lot of NCAA hockey and it's very rare to see what he did at 18 and 19. He's trending to be at the level of Price and that's saying something. Not saying he will ever be that good in those years where Price was just crushing it after winning gold at the olympics but perhaps not too far from that. It's early though so we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Plekatorz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

In fairness to Lindgren, his stats in 18 NHL games are much better than Niemi and Kinkaid so far. And think about the roster in front of Lindgren in those 18 games? 2 shutouts as well.

Not saying he is our solution but I'd give him a shot in a few back-up games. He seems to to step up in big games.

I think he is a decent piece to have in case Kinkaid goes down and we don't want to rush Primeau

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Primeau never disapointed me. Whether when I'm going on the spot at his development camps and games.

Reactions: Redux91

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

Was impressed with both of his games he looks very calm and has some good rebound control decent puck handling for such a young goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad