Prospect Info: Cayden Primeau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
.928 is not .946.
Sparks never had WJC performance or College career Primeau. It is not a .946% save percentage alone. Primeau has tore it up everywhere he has been.

For the last 8 months yes…..
Looked at Price, he was a lot better than Primeau back then and he still needed at least a 4 years before becoming the goalie we know. All i'm saying, it took longer for a G to be NHLready to take on a starting job and AHL numbers means very little for any players.

Reactions: 26Mats

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Looked at Price, he was a lot better than Primeau back then and he still needed at least a 4 years before becoming the goalie we know. All i'm saying, it took longer for a G to be NHLready to take on a starting job and AHL numbers means very little for any players.

Vasilevsky played just 37 games in the AHL. Samsonov the same and had 0.898 in the AHL... Yeah, there are different ways.

Reactions: jaffy27

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Primeau could go like Cory Schneider. His big college career, good WJC, backup to Luongo. Then bringing a core player in trade return. But even Schneider never achieved Primeau numbers so far. This is interesting case.

Reactions: jaffy27

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Vasilevsky played just 37 games in the AHL. Samsonov the same and had 0.898 in the AHL... Yeah, there are different ways.

It's different for every player….but being a goalie in Florida is different than Montreal.
Having said that, Vasi was a starter at 22 and Samsonov entered the league at 22 also…...so when i say to let Primeau there for another two year, it brings him at 22 also.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's different for every player….but being a goalie in Florida is different than Montreal.
Having said that, Vasi was a starter at 22 and Samsonov entered the league at 22 also…...so when i say to let Primeau there for another two year, it brings him at 22 also.

Well, Vasilevsky played 16 regular NHL games and 4 playoffs ones before he turned 21...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Well, Vasilevsky played 16 regular NHL games and 4 playoffs ones before he turned 21...

If there's injuries or Kinkaid sucks, i'm not afraid of calling him up either….still, don't mix up things here.
In Montreal we chew up our prospect and spit them out at first sign of weakness (look how medias is dealing with KK right now) and goaltender it's like 10x worst than any other position.

I know it's easy to get excited but as i said for Price and NHL goalie….when you look stats based on % , it takes at least 15-20 games to settle a little and now it's too volatile to put certainty in our evaluation.

For example. let's say next game Primeau has a bad one ( or the team completely sucks) and let in...5 goals on 20 ..then ishots ….his stats drop to 92.6%. It's encouraging for sure…...but we're still far away from drinking the bubble.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
By the way, his initials is CP too. I though of this just right now. What a coincidence.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I would not trade Primeau either..We have absolutely nothing else in the goalie pipeline at the moment with any sort of NHL upside in my opinion. If he continues to impress this year and next, it will absolutely give us the luxury of staying away from goalies in the draft until much later rounds. Let's not throw him to the wolves like we did with Price. There's no rush with Primeau at all. Let him gain his confidence and perfect his game in the AHL for another year or two. If he shows that he should be in the NHL, it can only be good for Carey to have some internal competition (which he hasn't had since Halak). Speaking of Halak, I know with the history between the team and him, he probably wouldn't come back, but he would be awesome as a backup for Price...even at 2.75M..we have the space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would not trade Primeau either..We have absolutely nothing else in the goalie pipeline at the moment with any sort of NHL upside in my opinion. If he continues to impress this year and next, it will absolutely give us the luxury of staying away from goalies in the draft until much later rounds. Let's not throw him to the wolves like we did with Price. There's no rush with Primeau at all. Let him gain his confidence and perfect his game in the AHL for another year or two. If he shows that he should be in the NHL, it can only be good for Carey to have some internal competition (which he hasn't had since Halak). Speaking of Halak, I know with the history between the team and him, he probably wouldn't come back, but he would be awesome as a backup for Price...even at 2.75M..we have the space.

I would not trade Primeau lightly but depends on who we can get. If we have to trade Primeau, Tatar, and a 2nd for Hall with an extension, I'm not saying no. Heck, we have Price from 32-38 man. Belfore, Hasek, Rinne, Roy, Luongo, Thomas, Lundqvist. Some won cups past the age of 37! Price is not overweight and is an athlete who is in very good shape. Name me a star in net who fell off the planet before 35?

I believe in Primeau just like you do but he is not untouchable and it comes down to the return we are offered.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I would not trade Primeau lightly but depends on who we can get. If we have to trade Primeau, Tatar, and a 2nd for Hall with an extension, I'm not saying no. Heck, we have Price from 32-38 man. Belfore, Hasek, Rinne, Roy, Luongo, Thomas, Lundqvist. Some won cups past the age of 37! Price is not overweight and is an athlete who is in very good shape. Name me a star in net who fell off the planet before 35?

I believe in Primeau just like you do but he is not untouchable and it comes down to the return we are offered.

Of course when I say I wouldn't trade him, it doesn't mean for anybody. If we get an offer that's CLEARLY in our favor, i'd drive him to the airport myself.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
his numbers are absolutely insane for a AHL rookie, specially on an average team! Great to see a late pick gaining value like that! i can say i could have never predicted that, not realy good at all to evaluate Goaltenders!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
his numbers are absolutely insane for a AHL rookie, specially on an average team! Great to see a late pick gaining value like that! i can say i could have never predicted that, not realy good at all to evaluate Goaltenders!

Same team and two different goalies. Lindgren is a pretty decent goalie too. Primeau looks elite level.

tijJkxy.jpg

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm assuming you are saying Laval is an average team but only 2 teams have more points in the league currently although Laval has a game or two in hand on most but tied in games with one of the two teams with more points.

Their slow start may have skewed things as only one team in the AHL has more wins in the past 10 games while Laval has picked up 15 of 20 points over that span. They have had a very tough schedule facing the best team in the AHL 3 times already (in their 15 games) yet they picked up 5 out of 6 pts and gave them their only loss in regulation in 15 games on the season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm assuming you are saying Laval is an average team but only 2 teams have more points in the league currently although Laval has a game or two in hand on most but tied in games with one of the two teams with more points.

Their slow start may have skewed things as only one team in the AHL has more wins in the past 10 games while Laval has picked up 15 of 20 points over that span. They have had a very tough schedule facing the best team in the AHL 3 times already (in their 15 games) yet they picked up 5 out of 6 pts and gave them their only loss in regulation in 15 games on the season.

There is very good AHL talent on that Laval team. They have to do better this year and looks like they are gaining momentum from that slow start. I agree. Hopefully they get some playoff experience. Primeau, Brook, Juulsen, Evans, Vejdemo, Leskinen, Olofsson can use some positive environment and depending how far the Habs go... we might add Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Fleury, Suzuki.

Reactions: dralaf

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And the people who used MB's 'wouldn't trade him unless it was for a #1C' remark as yet another piece of evidence for his extreme levels of stupidity.

First, they didn't understand the context of that remark. He meant this kid is good and I'm not trading him, unless some team were to offer me the moon.

Second, MB was right not to trade him - unless some team offered him the moon.

Goaltending is such an important position. We now may have Price's soon to be backup (for a total elite tandem, no more great #1 and an unreliable #2), plus Price's successor.

I've said it before, but I think it could work: have Lindgren as the injury reserve backup for Price next year in MTL. Have Price play all non-back to back games. Call Primeau up to play the 2nd of back to back games then send him right back to Laval where he plays the lion share of the games. A young goalie needs to play a lot. Lindgren can play in Laval during the brief stints Primeau is up. Lingren only plays in MTL in case of emergency injury.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
.928 is not .946.
Sparks never had WJC performance or College career Primeau. It is not a .946% save percentage alone. Primeau has tore it up everywhere he has been.

Agreed. Pretty sure the Leafs had a bigger budget for the AHL team when Sparks was doing his thing as well. Their AHL team has been very good for a long time now cause they are paying guys $400-$700k to play in the AHL. Habs have recently got on board with that strategy.

When Sparks was 20, his numbers were 2.63 GAA with a .915 Sv% and he also played ECHL that season. Totally not fair to compare Sparks to Primeau playing on different teams and at different development age points.

Better way to look at it is how much better was Sparks vs the other guys? Similar to how good Primeau's numbers look with Lindgren playing on the same team in the same season.

Reactions: Acadien86

Jul 6, 2016
By the way, his initials is CP too. I though of this just right now. What a coincidence.

The two first letters of the first name Ca + the three first letters of the family name Pri...... lol

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Yeah, surround them by contenders. That is another way. Unfortunately, that’s not an option here. A young goalie isn’t going to get anywhere near the confidence boost the guys you lised got playing behind strong teams.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I speculate based on next to no information that the reason Keith, Caydens father, was upset his son wanted to play goal is because Cayden is a special player and his camp believed he could have been a gem of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad