Recalled/Assigned: Cayden Primeau, Matthew Peca recalled

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Checking to see if Primeau is ready to take over for Carey or showcasing him for a trade?

Otherwise this is just slight of hand

Something tells me it's about about a few things...

- Kinkaid struggling
- Habs need a shakeup with our losing streak
- Primeau playing might make the players play better knowing they have a rookie goalie in net
- Might be a few trade talks on Primeau's value and he is being devalued so we want to showcase him a bit.
- He gets some NHL money for a week or two.

I like to think that we are doing this cause we want to evaluate Primeau with NHL quality shots and to showcase him in trade value. If not, Lindgren should have been called up IMO.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

- Kinkaid struggling
- Primeau playing might make the players play better knowing they have a rookie goalie in net
- Might be a few trade talks on Primeau's value and he is being devalued so we want to showcase him a bit.

I like to think that we are doing this cause we want to evaluate Primeau with NHL quality shots and to showcase him in trade value. If not, Lindgren should have been called up IMO.
Or it’s another in a long line of moves we think are strategic in a master plan and end up being nothing but a bewildering move that has no follow up

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

- Kinkaid struggling

Trading Primeau would be a dumb move if we think future. We need to have solid return of Primeau, like a new Borge Salming cause that's what we need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trading Primeau would be a dumb move if we think future. We need to have solid return of Primeau, like a new Borge Salming cause that's what we need.

Depends. I like Primeau a lot but if we can trade him for Hall with an extension, I'm not going to automatically say no. Make not mistake about it, I do not support trading him for cheap value.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
No it's not. 'Cause we all know it won't last. But while it would happen, it would create that big time drama about having to absolutely trade Price and so on.

And everyboyd knows that Primeau won't do miracles with that team in front of him. Come on.
I don't think anyone expects Primeau to pull a Jordan Binnington or even to a lesser extent a Carter Hart this season. I'm just thinking he gets 5-15 starts this year, and builds some confidence/gains some experience towards being a NHL starter someday. Maybe he stops that Provorov breakaway in 3 on 3 and helps the team break the slump a little bit earlier.

Or he starts 3 or 4 games, struggles, and gets sent back down to work on his game. I don't see this as a high risk move.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Something else that needs to be said as Montreal does a terrible job of looking after their young..

If Primeau comes up, and does well, he's 20 years old in Montreal.. easy to say you can keep your head in the game, but I know if I was a Montreal Canadiens superstar, with the girls in Montreal, I don't know if I could keep my focus at 20 years old.

Price, Galchenyuk, Sergei Kostitsyn, etc. there's been plenty of examples of guys who came with the right attitude, with lots of skill, but took a while to settle down and have it click because of the temptations.
One would hope having a father who was a pro for many years in the league would be able to warn the kid about the temptations and staying focused on the big goal.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It was ****ing stupid to give Kulak a 3 year deal, unless you think you uncovered a hidden gem which if he can't crack this D it's not a good sign. He started last year in the AHL, so why give him 3 years, why not give him a one year deal and see how he does? Granted if Kulak was having a strong season, MB and the pro scouts would look good here. But hockey is a business and you get paid for results, so when you **** up and the team is not doing well then fans are going to get on your ****. So as of right now giving Kulak 3 years looks stupid. Of course that could change.

I'd much rather have a 5th round pick then Reilly, but why re-sign the guy let alone give him 2 years when he couldn't get on the ice for much of the 2nd half as clearly Julien didn't trust him. If Reilly or Olofsson or Kulak, any of them turn into anything solid over a few seasons then it's for sure a win for the pro scouts and MB, but if they don't then you look at management and the pro scouts and say what the **** since the only way we get better is by making the right choices, being good at our jobs and if they aren't, we will continue to suck most likely.
The term on the Kulak deal was strange but to be completely fair, he was really good last year. If he were playing like he was last year, we'd all be happy with the contract.

The other ones were completely ridiculous though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The term on the Kulak deal was strange but to be completely fair, he was really good last year. If he were playing like he was last year, we'd all be happy with the contract.

I think Julien's abandoning the Kulak-Petry pair a little quckly. They will have a bad game here and there. But they'll give you more good than bad.

I'd go:

Chiarot Weber
Kulak Petry
Mete Fleury

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Everybody can have 1 good year. You don't need to give 3 years because of it.

Reactions: montreal

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Don’t remember Huet being outshined by Price or Halak.
Not really, no. Price came in and looked like a very promising 20 year old rookie. Played very well at the beginning, struggled and got sent down to the AHL. Recalled, played pretty decent when he returned and Bob Gainey decided it was better to send our veteran goalie to a conference opponent rather than have him mentor/support Price during his first playoff run. Took our best team in the past 25 years into the playoffs with 2 goalies with a combined zero NHL playoff minutes. Cost us the series against Philly.

Huet wasn't outstanding in 07-08 (.916/2.56) but he should have never been traded for a second.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So... anyone still wanna step forward and tell me "Bergevin is not waiving Kinkaid to save the season. He's bad but he's not crazy..." Was it you @Whitesnake who said this?

Now, what does this look like to you? Do you think it was "part of the plan" going into this season? To have Kinkaid waived after 2 months and Primeau called up?

As for your original quote, I'll refrain what @Kriss E has said; Yes, he's f***ing crazy. The sooner he's fired the better.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
One would hope having a father who was a pro for many years in the league would be able to warn the kid about the temptations and staying focused on the big goal.

It's not about a guy avoiding temptations and being focused on the big goal. It's about a guy who's not ready, being thrown into the lions cage to save our season. He's a highly regarded prospect and likely Price's heir apparent, and here we are, doing something that could potentially seriously derail his development, calling him up on a struggling team when he, himself has had some recent struggles in the AHL.

It's absolutely ridiculous. If Molson can't see how f***ing bad the situation is, we're helpless.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It was ****ing stupid to give Kulak a 3 year deal, unless you think you uncovered a hidden gem which if he can't crack this D it's not a good sign. He started last year in the AHL, so why give him 3 years, why not give him a one year deal and see how he does? Granted if Kulak was having a strong season, MB and the pro scouts would look good here. But hockey is a business and you get paid for results, so when you **** up and the team is not doing well then fans are going to get on your ****. So as of right now giving Kulak 3 years looks stupid. Of course that could change.

I'd much rather have a 5th round pick then Reilly, but why re-sign the guy let alone give him 2 years when he couldn't get on the ice for much of the 2nd half as clearly Julien didn't trust him. If Reilly or Olofsson or Kulak, any of them turn into anything solid over a few seasons then it's for sure a win for the pro scouts and MB, but if they don't then you look at management and the pro scouts and say what the **** since the only way we get better is by making the right choices, being good at our jobs and if they aren't, we will continue to suck most likely.

Because it worked once with Byron. MB is this type of guy suffering from the Dunning–Kruger effect and probably thought Byron's success proved he was right. Many guys pointed out when Byron was signed how stupid it was to give 3 years to an unproven guy who failed with two teams prior to coming here. It turned out well in the case of Byron and guys had to eat crows but unsurprisingly it did not work really well after that. Kulak can of course be buried in the AHL. But the more guys we bury in the AHL to more we build a reputation of a team burying guys in the AHL after signing them to long deal. Not really a good reputation to have.

Reactions: montreal

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So... anyone still wanna step forward and tell me "Bergevin is not waiving Kinkaid to save the season. He's bad but he's not crazy..." Was it you @Whitesnake who said this?

Now, what does this look like to you? Do you think it was "part of the plan" going into this season? To have Kinkaid waived after 2 months and Primeau called up?

As for your original quote, I'll refrain what @Kriss E has said; Yes, he's ****ing crazy. The sooner he's fired the better.

Yes I still will do it. He's not satisfied with Kinkaid. But he's not doing that by saying that he feels Kinkaid is the sole and only responsible for the Habs problems. Come on man...the guy is never in net. How can you be responsible for something you don't do? As far as the plan is, as I keep saying, there is no plans. He didn't have confidence in Lindgren, Kinkaid was the only guy available for him. He was wrong then, as predicted, he shows he is now.

Bergevin is a bad GM. Pretty sure I keep saying that. But to say that Bergevin REALLY thinks that Kinkaid is the guy responsible for everything going on is insane.

But what are you saying now? That the net belongs to Primeau? That Price is not going to play anymore and that Primeau will have all the games?

The only thing they are doing right now is that while they are unsatisfied with Kinkaid, they want to give the fans some hope that the best is yet to come. For that, they will have to pray hard that Primeau will indeed make miracles. And that the boys in front of him will play differently, more defensively, to be sure that he doesn't look bad.

But Price will have the bulk of the games. And Primeau, sitting on the bench, won't be able to do a single thing about it. And then Kinkaid after a few great games, will be back. What will it be then? What will be your point then?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yes I still will do it. He's not satisfied with Kinkaid. But he's not doing that by saying that he feels Kinkaid is the sole and only responsible for the Habs problems. Come on man...the guy is never in net. How can you be responsible for something you don't do? As far as the plan is, as I keep saying, there is no plans. He didn't have confidence in Lindgren, Kinkaid was the only guy available for him. He was wrong then, as predicted, he shows he is now.

Bergevin is a bad GM. Pretty sure I keep saying that. But to say that Bergevin REALLY thinks that Kinkaid is the guy responsible for everything going on is insane.

But what are you saying now? That the net belongs to Primeau? That Price is not going to play anymore and that Primeau will have all the games?

I'm not saying they're scapegoating Kinkaid. I'm saying Primeau being called up would never have happened if we weren't on an 8-games losing streak. Kinkaid <==> Peca + Primeau is done in reaction to the current losing streak. And as bad as Kinkaid might have been, there's no way we waive a recently signed UFA 2 months into the season if we're not in an 8 games losing streak. So yeah. In a sense, it was done to either calm the fans down, or to jumpstart the team. Both scenarios are equally crazy. Because we're talking about the development plan of one of our highly touted prospects, and a pretty important one at that.

Reactions: 1909

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You thinks calling Primeau up is a rational decision, that was part of the original plan? You don't think this is a reaction directly in response to the latest losing streak? Ok. I beg to differ.
No, but you're arguing two separate things.

Kincaid sucking as bad as he has was definitely not part of the plan, and yes this move is a direct result of the losing streak.

That doesn't mean that Primeau was brought in to save the season/be thrown into the fire. He's replacing the backup goalie. He will get 2 or 3 starts a month, if that. All of the pressure is still on Price.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No, but you're arguing two separate things.

Kincaid sucking as bad as he has was definitely not part of the plan, and yes this move is a direct result of the losing streak.

That doesn't mean that Primeau was brought in to save the season/be thrown into the fire. He's replacing the backup goalie. He will get 2 or 3 starts a month, if that. All of the pressure is still on Price.

And we're ready to take a 20 years old goalie prospect recently struggling in the AHL, and call him up to either:
A) Put him on the bench when he should be playing TONS of games
B) Have him spark the team up by his sole presence on the bench and shake it out of its misery

And Bergevin is not crazy?

ludwig

Dec 17, 2007
I know getting a laugh out of a guy's crippling alcoholism makes me a bad person and all but this never stops being funny to me :laugh: . At least he did clean himself up later so there's no sad ending to it.

I feel the same bro...I remember it was his daughter filming that video too. That being said I think it’s a pretty accurate depiction of what it’s like being a habs fan these days! Just a big ol mess

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm not saying they're scapegoating Kinkaid. I'm saying Primeau being called up would never have happened if we weren't on an 8-games losing streak. Kinkaid <==> Peca + Primeau is done in reaction to the current losing streak. And as bad as Kinkaid might have been, there's no way we waive a recently signed UFA 2 months into the season if we're not in an 8 games losing streak. So yeah. In a sense, it was done to either calm the fans down, or to jumpstart the team. Both scenarios are equally crazy. Because we're talking about the development plan of one of our highly touted prospects, and a pretty important one at that.

Every change happens when you are losing. But it's not because you make a change while you are losing that the GM thinks that it will fix everything. It's insane to think that Primeau comes in to fix things. First, it would mean that he thinks a 20-year old who was struggling lately will come in and save the day. But it also means that...he will have to play. More often than the guy who is paid 10M$ to be a No1? That's what Bergevin is thinking? He just can't. Not crazy enough. Bad? Yeah. Really bad? Oh yeah. Crazy? Nope.

Reactions: JSR 56

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad