Recalled/Assigned: Cayden Primeau, Matthew Peca recalled

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Is the plan for him to possibly be the backup for the season?

I just find this all very puzzling.

Honestly, I'm as stumped as you are.

I was fine with Kinkaid being waived but I fully expected Lindgren to be brought up. I was shocked when I saw it was Primeau.

It makes no sense for him to sit behind Price and be a backup.

Reactions: Tighthead

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I was fine with Kinkaid being waived but I fully expected Lindgren to be brought up. I was shocked when I saw it was Primeau.

But Lindgren has been garbage, why bring him up?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I'm excited to see Primeau. Why not throw him in, he's a professional now, get in there and try to steal a game. It's not going to ruin his career if he gets shelled like people want to believe.

Peca for Hudon is an upgrade imo.

He's played 12 professional games and it 20 years old.

He's not being called up to be the starting goalie. Price and his fat contract aren't going to sit on the bench.

So wouldn't it be better for Primeau to continue to play regularly in the AHL?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He's played 12 professional games and it 20 years old.

He's not being called up to be the starting goalie. Price and his fat contract aren't going to sit on the bench.

So wouldn't it be better for Primeau to continue to play regularly in the AHL?
He'll be going back down, it's not going to hurt him being up here for a week or two

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not really, no. Price came in and looked like a very promising 20 year old rookie. Played very well at the beginning, struggled and got sent down to the AHL. Recalled, played pretty decent when he returned and Bob Gainey decided it was better to send our veteran goalie to a conference opponent rather than have him mentor/support Price during his first playoff run. Took our best team in the past 25 years into the playoffs with 2 goalies with a combined zero NHL playoff minutes. Cost us the series against Philly.

Huet wasn't outstanding in 07-08 (.916/2.56) but he should have never been traded for a second.
Agreed, this is how I remember it as well. I remember being infuriated during the philly series. I don’t know if it was extremely poor goaltending or really bad luck, but at any rate, I don’t remember Price actually out performing huet to win the job.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm excited to see Primeau. Why not throw him in, he's a professional now, get in there and try to steal a game. It's not going to ruin his career if he gets shelled like people want to believe.

The D we need are all centers and wingers who have to help our D deep in our zone and prepare to get the puck of our zone. Like 2 players winning a battle in corners. All the teams does pressure to the opposing D, including the Habs when they win. Habs can maybe win games by small score, like in 1998-2002. Peca might fit the role. Back to the trap ...or lose.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

no pressure kid.

Reactions: Tighthead

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

It makes no sense to you because its not your plan lol, but if the plan is to have primeau as careys backup so fast....then maybe its to get him ready to take over for Carey after we possibly trade him?

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
No surprise here. Gutless Bergevin will do everything in his power to buy himself some more time, including rushing our best assets. He’s in desperation mode right now and couldn’t give two ***** about what happens with the team once he’s fired. What a clown.

Megaforce

Dying to revisit this thread after Primo plays well. He has proven he can stop high-level hockey pucks so there's no reason not to try.

Too many people on this board are obsessed with the magical benefits of keeping guys in the minors too long. We wasted a year of Subban in the minors for no particular reason, which is a big deal cuz his career as a superstar only turned out to be about five years.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I always figured this organization rushes their prospects but Primeau getting called up is beyond even my low expectations.

It's like every prospect thread is a replay: early call up to NHL > people saying rushed or defending prospects skill being too good to be ruined > prospect succeeds a bit and then struggles > people acting like he never had the skill > on the the next prospect

Reactions: montreal

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Price said he didn't want to babysit. Almost looks like a Babcock-esque psycho move by management.

Good luck Cayden!!
I love Carey, but with the way he's been lately who cares what he wants? Don't want to babysit? Don't want to be pushed? Have your play make it so it can't happen.

Carey's been the face of the franchise for a while but that clout isn't good for much if you're not winning.

Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying I agree with the Primeau call-up. Just saying that what Carey wants, especially right now, shouldn't hinder any decision.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I love Carey, but with the way he's been lately who cares what he wants? Don't want to babysit? Don't want to be pushed? Have your play make it so it can't happen.

Carey's been the face of the franchise for a while but that clout isn't good for much if you're not winning.

Before anyone freaks, I'm not saying I agree with the Primeau call-up. Just saying that what Carey wants, especially right now, shouldn't hinder any decision.

Taking a closer look, the combined recall of those two guys might just be a PR move to appease the media & fans.

I don't disagree that Price will have to mentor Primeau at some point, it's just that the timing is awkward as ****.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Taking a closer look, the combined recall of those two guys might just be a PR move to appease the media & fans.

I don't disagree that Price will have to mentor Primeau at some point, it's just that the timing is awkward as ****.
I agree. But maybe they find Price way too...comfortable? I guess? Like maybe he just has a "whatever" sort of attitude, similar to how he was before Halak took his job. He knows Kinkaid will never take over for #1 so he's just going through the motions.

There's not a lot of ways to kick a 10.5 million dollar franchise player in the ass to get him going. Taking away his safety net backup in Kinkaid and putting in the kid who, right now, looks like a successor of sorts might be enough to piss him off enough to really start going and want to shove it back in management's face, especially with the comments you mentioned.

Or it could be nothing. They just want Kinkaid to play so they sent him down. This is the Habs fandom, after all, and we tend to overreact to everything.

Reactions: Roadhouse

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He sounds promising. Why put the kid in this mess?
A couple of weeks ago when Primeau had a higher save PCT I looked up where he stood. 6 goalies in the AHL had higher SV. It's not unusual to have a good SV down there. Makes sense. Lousy shooters. I'm not by any stretch saying he's not going to be good, just wondering why rush the kid?

EDIT: I looked up where he stands now. 15th in SV. Again not saying he's bad but he's currently struggling a little (not unusual for a young goalie) but it just seems like bad timing.
Maybe he wont play a game and they'll work the phones to get a veteran in here.
Primeau just doesn’t seem to be a permanent solution right now. I did hear someone say that maybe they’re hoping Kincaid finds his game again in Laval and comes back? Other than that, this is very puzzling.
Primeau hasn’t really been struggling lately either. The team has been up and down because of all the injuries and call ups. The losses were definitely not on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad