Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He has made strides. But how long can they continue to wait until he can unpack his tools every night?

Move him to wing. Find a center who isn’t a defensive liability and easily overpowered. Kick him in the ass every time he mentions Fortnight or going to the cottage with his friendos.

He played wing tonight and was pretty solid. Keep him in the top 6 so he can play with talent. I have no idea why Krueger didn’t just leave Skinner/Mojo together and add Mitts as the RW. The amount of times Mojo and/or Mitts sprung Vesey would have probably turned into something if it was Skinner.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
8th overall pick and Sabres are bad fit.

Looking at the trends of picks around the 6-9 range, we see a lot of guys who never hit their potential. It's interesting at least to look at over the last couple of decades beyond just the Sabres. Lots of bad teams that haven't worked out good development paths and seem to rush players into roles that they haven't grown into is more the norm. And lookie, lookie... that's Buffalo in a nutshell with three guys drafted at #8OA. Good times.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Looking at the trends of picks around the 6-9 range, we see a lot of guys who never hit their potential. It's interesting at least to look at over the last couple of decades beyond just the Sabres. Lots of bad teams that haven't worked out good development paths and seem to rush players into roles that they haven't grown into is more the norm. And lookie, lookie... that's Buffalo in a nutshell with three guys drafted at #8OA. Good times.
Well we could trade him for another right shot PMD. :sarcasm:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Hey guys and gals, wanted to know how Mittelstadt has been playing? I was enamored with the player in his draft year but unfortunately don't get to see Sabres games so I'm not up to date on his development.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Hey guys and gals, wanted to know how Mittelstadt has been playing? I was enamored with the player in his draft year but unfortunately don't get to see Sabres games so I'm not up to date on his development.
Bad time man. He has been underwhelming and is pressing. Now he is compounding things with hesitation to shoot the puck. Could use some AHL time to get his confidence back.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So... taking him off of being center seemed to lighten him up a bit tonight and he played better. Not great, but better. Nothing like death, taxes, and the Sabres inability to develop players.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
So... taking him off of being center seemed to lighten him up a bit tonight and he played better. Not great, but better. Nothing like death, taxes, and the Sabres inability to develop players.
I saw that as well. I think some time on the wing with less responsibility for defensive positioning may allow him to be a bit looser and focused on putting the biscuit in the net. But who knows.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The kids looked pretty good as a line. Hopefully they build on it, Mitts in particular.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I also liked some moments in his game, but hell, when will he start throwing on goal?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I don't remember exactly what point in the game it was last night but Mittelstadt came down on an odd man rush, had an open shot, but elected to try a difficult pass, which was deflected. Pretty sure I heard Razer exclaim "SHOOT!" on the telecast, which was pretty much the same reaction I had.

It seems his confidence is toast and he's afraid to shoot. I think Rochester would be good for him for a couple of weeks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't remember exactly what point in the game it was last night but Mittelstadt came down on an odd man rush, had an open shot, but elected to try a difficult pass, which was deflected. Pretty sure I heard Razer exclaim "SHOOT!" on the telecast, which was pretty much the same reaction I had.

It seems his confidence is toast and he's afraid to shoot. I think Rochester would be good for him for a couple of weeks.

Right after one of the Bruin goals and it was a 3-on-1 that the defenseman played pass the whole way. Mitts never looked at the goalie, he tunneled on pass the whole way.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Bad time man. He has been underwhelming and is pressing. Now he is compounding things with hesitation to shoot the puck. Could use some AHL time to get his confidence back.
Oof, not quite what I was expecting to hear. I figured I'd hear he was snakebit but was starting to physically assert himself more and is turning into a nice sniper with some power forward tendencies.

Thanks for the update!

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If he can play like he did last night I'm okay with keeping him up.

He still pissed me off by messing up the 3 on 1 but at least he looked creative and loose at wing,

Reactions: k8prisoner

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Right after one of the Bruin goals and it was a 3-on-1 that the defenseman played pass the whole way. Mitts never looked at the goalie, he tunneled on pass the whole way.

Pretty telling play for a guy with his skill set. That situation screamed fake pass, back hand short side all day. The goalie literally has to take the bait with two pass options that can't be covered.

Instead he molasses the whole play thinking he could keep a goalie on the post that was never gonna happen and duffs the pass anyway.

Tight hands.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's what now, 15 games without a point?

This is not okay what's happening right now. He's on pace for a worse year, as if last year was anything special. Either put him on a real scoring line and see what he can do or send him down.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
They should send Casey down when guys get healthy or if the dolt of a GM ever acquires forward help, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

I feel bad for the kid, the org. massively screwed up his development by rushing him to the NHL after just 1 year of college hockey when he wasn't even all that dominant

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This is a vicious circle, they will not send it to the AHL, but they will keep it in bottom 6 where it will not develop and progress, it is better to simply trade it and wish good luck.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This is a vicious circle, they will not send it to the AHL, but they will keep it in bottom 6 where it will not develop and progress, it is better to simply trade it and wish good luck.
Only way to trade him would be to find a Tim Murray-sucker that is in love with picks that didn't happen.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Only way to trade him would be to find a Tim Murray-sucker that is in love with picks that didn't happen.
Why? Can trade it in a package with Risto or Reinhart or if there is a similar deal Nylander for Jokiharju.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
"What if.. they would have gave him the Asplund treatment...
He would probably be much better...
With the reaction speed of JB he probably sends him down next year.
As we know his universe isn't shaped by time or quality but cap space.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2