Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hard to over look the hate towards our players when that is basically the only thing discussed on this forum. My post was basically pointing out that last year did no good for anyone on the team.

Why should fans be eager to heap laurels on more losing? Is there anything to actually celebrate with this team?

Reactions: kundahlini

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
No need for false praise of players. But letting up on the pummeling Mitts gets isn’t much to ask. I know you’re not one of them. But it’s been ridiculously vicious at times.

At the end of the day, he likely wasn't served by being kept in the NHL grinder all last year and it may be hard for some to let him be where he is and find their ire directed upward to the people who kept putting him on the ice to flounder, one of whom is thankfully gone. He has those amazing hand skills, some elusiveness in tight spaces, quick feet, and a known passion for the game. If they can continue to use the humbling he got last year as gateway to establishing great training and physical preparation habits, he should grown into the guy we all want him to be.

Short answer: I'm still miffed at management's handling of him last year and there is a lot of player there to still uncover.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
No need for false praise of players. But letting up on the pummeling Mitts gets isn’t much to ask. I know you’re not one of them. But it’s been ridiculously vicious at times.
Much the same as with Tage last season. Botts' mishandling of his development was the villain in the piece, not the player's shortcomings.

Hopefully Botts will do the right thing if Mitts continues to falter. Perhaps Ralph will provide insightful counsel, something we could never expect from the inept Housley.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Mitts need to be in the AHL.. doesn't belong in the NHL yet
What sucks is if Mitts were allowed to finish off his last college season and then given AHL duty last season I think he'd be in a perfect position to serve in a third line center role this season.

Cap Genius is a developmental dunce.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Why should fans be eager to heap laurels on more losing? Is there anything to actually celebrate with this team?
Then why cheer for the team? Why take the energy to look at only the negative with the team? No one forces any of us to cheer for the team that we do. I never mentioned anything about praising losing so I don’t know where your getting that from.

All I said is that last year management did nothing to help development of the players and we can all agree that is true.

It’s a new season and a new staff surrounding the players. I’m excited to see what they can do. Especially with CM.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Then why cheer for the team? Why take the energy to look at only the negative with the team? No one forces any of us to cheer for the team that we do. I never mentioned anything about praising losing so I don’t know where your getting that from.

All I said is that last year management did nothing to help development of the players and we can all agree that is true.

It’s a new season and a new staff surrounding the players. I’m excited to see what they can do. Especially with CM.

So what exactly have they done to help the development of the players that is different from last year? At the very most at this point we have an unknown about whether this coaching staff CAN develop these players. Is there room to be optimistic, absolutely, but right now it’s looking like the same bad mistake they made last year is being doubled down.

Not to mention Casey coming into camp seemingly in the same shape as last year and looking like the exact same player as last year.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So what exactly have they done to help the development of the players that is different from last year? At the very most at this point we have an unknown about whether this coaching staff CAN develop these players. Is there room to be optimistic, absolutely, but right now it’s looking like the same bad mistake they made last year is being doubled down.

Not to mention Casey coming into camp seemingly in the same shape as last year and looking like the exact same player as last year.

We have no idea what his shape is now vs last season. Keeping him in Buffalo is not necessarily a mistake that is being doubled down on either. First, it's not a given that it was a mistake Mittelstadt stayed in Buffalo last season, but if it was, a factor in that negative equation was not having a HC that could teach him what he needed to learn. The NHL is not a development league, but that doesn't mean that teaching and learning aren't supposed to happen in practice or otherwise throughout the season. Having a coaching staff with a clue makes a difference.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers

Did I say that they have done anything different then last year? Where did you pull that from.

Of course he looks like the same player as last year. THEY DIDNT COACH HIM OR DEVELOP HIM LAST YEAR. that’s what I have been saying my last 3 posts. Hope this year is different with a coach that actually seems to have a brain in between his ears.

I don’t care where CM plays as long as he is actually being coached.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
You may have overlooked the rampant on-line assassinations rightly or wrongly of Sobotka, Ristolainen, Scandella, Bogosian, Hutton, Larsson, Girgensons, Thompson, and Sheary as well. It's not like he's been singled out alone. There is a lot of blame heaped around, Casey is not alone.
Eichel sets the tone with his body language. :laugh:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Krueger has been measured in his praise, but also has said on a number of occasions that they are focusing on developing the defensive side of the game an NHL center needs to learn. He also was on the fence when asked about him during the last press conference. I suspect Krueger thinks he should go down to Roch, but may not be reading the same take from the GM. It's hard to overlook the Sabres PR around Mittelstadt.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
What sucks is if Mitts were allowed to finish off his last college season and then given AHL duty last season I think he'd be in a perfect position to serve in a third line center role this season.

Cap Genius is a developmental dunce.
The opportunity to play in the NHL right away was the bait that got him to turn pro. He's not leaving school to play in the AHL. If given enough time to think about it he might decide to stay until he graduates and become an UFA. He could have played in the AHL last season but I think burning a year of his contract was unavoidable to get him signed.

Reactions: slip

OswegoSabresFan

Jan 7, 2018
We all know and agree he was given to much workload last year and prob should have played a year in the Rock. But what the hate already this year. Guy has worked hard putting on weight and muscle. Looked ok the first couple games. But was great the last game. Easily the best player on the ice in the 3rd, and Buffalos top forward of the game. I'm excited to see what he does this year. In a 3rd line roll he should have a great year. The year we were hoping for last year

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
when you have talent like his, the offensive just seems to happen when you are doing all the little things right. He is definitely a better player when he's engaged physically.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's early, but both the plays he made tonight are things that he has done very well for years. Very quick hands and mind in the middle of traffic. Once he gets confident he'll also start shooting. Not the hardest shot, but very quick and deceptive release.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad