Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
No I'm not saying that at all. Lol. It was about developing a prospect. Nothing about what Mittelstadt could become. I'm not even sure how you turned it into that.
I didn't say they were the same. I very clearly stated the ages. You proved my point even better by saying Mittelstadt wasn't the same level of prospect. Mittelstadt was obviously in the NHL way too soon. Vanek started at 22 years old, Mittelstadt was labeled a bust at 22, actually before 22.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I didn't say they were the same. I very clearly stated the ages. You proved my point even better by saying Mittelstadt wasn't the same level of prospect. Mittelstadt was obviously in the NHL way too soon. Vanek started at 22 years old, Mittelstadt was labeled a bust at 22, actually before 22.

Yeah, people have been way too impatient with Mitts. He's always had talent and, by all accounts, is a rink rat. But he needed time to develop that this org wasn't giving him.

Reactions: Dingo44

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Yeah, people have been way too impatient with Mitts. He's always had talent and, by all accounts, is a rink rat. But he needed time to develop that this org wasn't giving him.

He should do well now, given the massive minutes that will be available to those that seize the opportunity in the forward ranks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Vanek spent 2 years in college, 1 year in the AHL. And the only reason he didn't go right to the NHL was the lockout. Vanek was like 11 months older than Mittelstadt when he got drafted. Mittelstadt had 1 year in the NCAA before he was thrown to the NHL fire.

Nobody thought Vanek was a bust because at 22 because we saw linear progression (college year 2 was better than college 1 year, great AHL year, strong NHL start). All we've seen from Mittelstadt is struggle, and that is on our front office for rushing him.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Vanek spent 2 years in college, 1 year in the AHL. And the only reason he didn't go right to the NHL was the lockout. Vanek was like 11 months older than Mittelstadt when he got drafted. Mittelstadt had 1 year in the NCAA before he was thrown to the NHL fire.

Nobody thought Vanek was a bust because at 22 because we saw linear progression (college year 2 was better than college 1 year, great AHL year, strong NHL start). All we've seen from Mittelstadt is struggle, and that is on our front office for rushing him.
Mittelstadt was on such a high after the world's I think he would have dominated his sophomore year at Minnesota.

Whats sad is the Sabres were set up so well to bring Mittelstadt along slowly. Imagine in that scenario Mittelstadt dominates his sophomore year and then comes to Buffalo as a 3c behind O'Reilly and Eichel. Ugh.

Reactions: DJN21 and Zman5778

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Question: Do you guys think his wingers will still be Asplund and Thompson going into next season?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Question: Do you guys think his wingers will still be Asplund and Thompson going into next season?
I hope so, since they had good chemistry. Hard to know what the team is going to look like if we get players back in an Eichel trade.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Right now I think he would slot in as the 1c. I'm not sure how they're going to do lines but Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson would get eaten alive by most top lines in the NHL.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Right now I think he would slot in as the 1c. I'm not sure how they're going to do lines but Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson would get eaten alive by most top lines in the NHL.

Likely yes, and this probably isn't the best thread for the comment, but all of these posts where people list the Sabres roster and talk about how bad it is don't take into account that the players are actually getting better. Who they were last season, or three seasons ago, is most likely not going to be who they are next season.

That said, is ATM a number one line right now? No, it's not. But my hope is that an ATM line, with, say, Bjork - Cozens- VO on another line, and Skinner - Vinnie - X on another line causes some interesting matchups, especially if Donny rolls the lines. Scoring by committee could be really fun to watch this year, because there's no #1 line, and any of the lines could theoretically be the top line that night.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I would give our version of a top line a try

Skinner - Mitts - Cozens
Olofsson - Arttu - Thompson
Reilly Smith? - Zem - Hinostroza
Bjork - Asplund - Okposo

Lets see how 2C 3C 4C can hang. Would like to wait a full season on Cozens at C, maybe Skinner can have a 30 goal season with those two.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Probably. Wish they weren't. Well, I wish Thompson weren't. Asplund is fine.

In my limited viewings, there's a lot to like about Asplund and he has the feel of a guy that has another couple of levels to reach his potential.

Funny to read about some of the responses about Thompson, i like him. He's got complimentary player skills and i don't mean that in a negative way. But ultimately, i think you guys are right and need more of a winger that can shoot in that RW spot next to Mitts and Thompson would be fine as a third line grinder.

I think Mitts is going to take off for you guys. The kid is just too good not to.

Reactions: Team Cozens

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
In my limited viewings, there's a lot to like about Asplund and he has the feel of a guy that has another couple of levels to reach his potential.

Funny to read about some of the responses about Thompson, i like him. He's got complimentary player skills and i don't mean that in a negative way. But ultimately, i think you guys are right and need more of a winger that can shoot in that RW spot next to Mitts and Thompson would be fine as a third line grinder.

I think Mitts is going to take off for you guys. The kid is just too good not to.

Yeah, we generally like Asplund around here. He's one of those "plays the game the right way" types that can hold their own on a line with more skilled teammates. Thompson, I just don't think he's capable of processing the game fast enough to consistently make good decisions at the NHL level. He looks great every preseason when established players are only playing at 75%, but it never holds up into the regular season.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Thompson isn’t a grinder. He also should be the trigger man on a line. He’s good at taking the puck back (his reach helps here), and can get into the soft areas of the ice. He works hard.

I like the guy but he needs to be traded. Unless he scores 30+ a year, this fanbase will always hate the Giraffe. Simply because of who was traded to acquire him.

Put him on a team like Boston, and people would be livid we gave him up.

Reactions: PB37

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Thompson isn’t a grinder. He also should be the trigger man on a line. He’s good at taking the puck back (his reach helps here), and can get into the soft areas of the ice. He works hard.

I like the guy but he needs to be traded. Unless he scores 30+ a year, this fanbase will always hate the Giraffe. Simply because of who was traded to acquire him.

I don't hate him, but he needs to get more physical and make better decisions, but sometimes he really plays well and is useful.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Thank you Brother. Mitts was getting chippy post whistle, and wasn't head-down-skating-away from confrontation towards the end. Nothing major, but baby steps to becoming a gamer.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I would give our version of a top line a try

Skinner - Mitts - Cozens
Olofsson - Arttu - Thompson
Reilly Smith? - Zem - Hinostroza
Bjork - Asplund - Okposo

Lets see how 2C 3C 4C can hang. Would like to wait a full season on Cozens at C, maybe Skinner can have a 30 goal season with those two.

Feels like the 3rd and 4th lines should be swapped. Bjork isn't a 4th liner, imo and Okposo has some really severe flaws these days but he's savvy enough to be a top-9 guy on this roster. Same with Asplund.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

I'd be pissed if we traded him now. I think is the official make-or-break season for him and I lean towards him making as opposed to breaking. I think the franchise is over the STL trade, tbh. It's just one of a series of comedies rather than some pivotal thing. We weren't a playoff team even with ROR. It sucks that we got pennies on the dollar back, but it's not like him leaving was the end of some prolific era for us.

Reactions: elchud

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Skinner-Mitts-Olofsson
Bjork-Cozens-Thompson
Routs-Asplund-Hino
Girgs-Eakin-Cagg

dahlin jok
Hagg Miller
Butch psysk

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Would set up a good future top 6 then 22,23 draft with 4 first rounds would ens the rebuild
Quinn-Cozens-Fiala
Boldy-Rossi-Rosen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad