OT: Cartoons/Animation/etc Thread

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I only watched the original series, but I do own Brotherhood. I'd watch it in Japanese because I refuse to listen to Ed's English VA.
Oh please watch it. The original did a great job of fleshing out the series very early on but went completely off the rails towards the end because they went past the source material. Brotherhood follows it much more closely, but having the original as reference for early parts of the story is really nice, as brotherhood doesn't flesh it out like the original. Fma is one of the only anime I actually enjoy the English va more than the Japanese. It's probably because I originally watched it in English so I'm more comfortable with that. Almost every other I do prefer the japanese va though. Dbz I could be 50/50 on, everything else I've ever watched its subs>dubs.

If anyone is looking to enjoy japanese anime for the first time, I'd strongly recommend FMA: Brotherhood. In English or Japanese. It's complete on Netflix so it's easily accessible.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's not about sub vs dub (I usually watch stuff in subs), but that VA is a creepy piece of shit. Plus, his whole court case that he had this year is amazingly inept and the people he hired literally might of been nobodies off the street. Knew nothing and did everything wrong, in hilarious fashion.

While I usually prefer subs, there are some legit good dubs.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Bumping this based on the Scoobymania that has swept us all these past few days.
D63E0DFC-D40F-4099-B811-129F4BB6403C.jpeg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I watched Pinocchio over the weekend for the first time in a while and reaffirmed my belief that it is Disney's greatest film. The animation is stunning today, let alone for 1940. I know this movie is highly regarded by animation historians but it's a shame how overlooked the Walt era stuff is by the general public.

I also can't listen to When You Wish Upon a Star without getting teary. Lot of good, nostalgic memories associated with that song.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I watched Pinocchio over the weekend for the first time in a while and reaffirmed my belief that it is Disney's greatest film. The animation is stunning today, let alone for 1940. I know this movie is highly regarded by animation historians but it's a shame how overlooked the Walt era stuff is by the general public.

I also can't listen to When You Wish Upon a Star without getting teary. Lot of good, nostalgic memories associated with that song.

Those old Disney films are as good as any animation that's been done, imo. Another classic is the old Gulliver's Travels from 1939.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I’m in a show hole so I watched the 1st episode of the Powerpuff Girls (as one does) last night with my brother. I forgot how hilarious that show is. Mojo Jojo monologued and told the girls exactly how to defeat him. It was ridiculously funny.

“I’m high up here. You can’t get me! You’d probably have to go around me and get behind me. Then you could get me.”

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I didn't watch a tremendous amount of Powerpuff Girls as a kid (from CN, I was an Ed Edd n Eddy, Dexter's Lab, and Tom & Jerry junkie myself), but I discovered a few years ago that they did an episode that's pretty much all Beatles references so it's good in my book.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013

I don’t think it’s overlooked as much as it’s looked down on.
I took a few art classes in college, before dropping out, nothing major. They sort of held an admiration and a disdain for Disney.
Admiration for the original artwork and techniques and disdain for how much animation they reuse across their movies.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Those old Disney films are as good as any animation that's been done, imo. Another classic is the old Gulliver's Travels from 1939.

We just watched this on YouTube. My daughter enjoyed it, the boys bailed 37 seconds in

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I didn't watch a tremendous amount of Powerpuff Girls as a kid (from CN, I was an Ed Edd n Eddy, Dexter's Lab, and Tom & Jerry junkie myself), but I discovered a few years ago that they did an episode that's pretty much all Beatles references so it's good in my book.

My brother watched it when he was a kid and I’d catch snippets of it here & there. Never actively seeked it out myself. It’s pretty funny though. Glad my brother recommended we put it on last night

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
My brother watched it when he was a kid and I’d catch snippets of it here & there. Never actively seeked it out myself. It’s pretty funny though. Glad my brother recommended we put it on last night
Yeah, I sought out some more episodes after the Beatles one. I found it enjoyable. I watched it a little as a kid but avoided it mostly because I thought it'd be "girly," but I think it was mostly just advertised that way in retrospect.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, I sought out some more episodes after the Beatles one. I found it enjoyable. I watched it a little as a kid but avoided it mostly because I thought it'd be "girly," but I think it was mostly just advertised that way in retrospect.
You would love beat bugs on Netflix. They base each episode on a beetles song and sing a few beetles songs each episode.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I’m in a show hole so I watched the 1st episode of the Powerpuff Girls (as one does) last night with my brother. I forgot how hilarious that show is. Mojo Jojo monologued and told the girls exactly how to defeat him. It was ridiculously funny.

“I’m high up here. You can’t get me! You’d probably have to go around me and get behind me. Then you could get me.”

I only watched a handful of those, but I thought it was pretty cool too.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Oh please watch it. The original did a great job of fleshing out the series very early on but went completely off the rails towards the end because they went past the source material. Brotherhood follows it much more closely, but having the original as reference for early parts of the story is really nice, as brotherhood doesn't flesh it out like the original. Fma is one of the only anime I actually enjoy the English va more than the Japanese. It's probably because I originally watched it in English so I'm more comfortable with that. Almost every other I do prefer the japanese va though. Dbz I could be 50/50 on, everything else I've ever watched its subs>dubs.

If anyone is looking to enjoy japanese anime for the first time, I'd strongly recommend FMA: Brotherhood. In English or Japanese. It's complete on Netflix so it's easily accessible.

I started it, need to get back to it. Feel like I say that about a lot of things at the moment.

Reactions: PALE PWNR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad