OT: Cartoons/Animation/etc Thread

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
View attachment 516079

This is for the children among our illustrious board (myself included) who grew up watching Nickelodeon in the late 90s/early 00s (which I realize does not represent everyone here). Made the rounds on social media a few weeks ago, I'm told.

Also please note Vancouver Beavers mascots Norbert and Daggett sitting pretty in a $4 spot.
No X-men or Spider-Man, this board is trash.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
View attachment 516079

This is for the children among our illustrious board (myself included) who grew up watching Nickelodeon in the late 90s/early 00s (which I realize does not represent everyone here). Made the rounds on social media a few weeks ago, I'm told.

Also please note Vancouver Beavers mascots Norbert and Daggett sitting pretty in a $4 spot.
I'm a frugal Chinese man who uses coupons and hunts for deals. Clearly all the shows I want to pick should be BOGO.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
As someone who watched Nick religiously as a child:

20220228_190654.jpg

Rocko at $1 is a steal. Spongebob, OddParents, and Jimmy Neutron were all gimmes. Honestly Arnold was too. I loved Hey Arnold as a kid. I liked the "boring" shows like Arnold and Doug. Sue me! They were comfort shows honestly. Really chill and calm and relaxing. Arnold I think is one of the best slice of life cartoons ever made. It still holds up personally. Doug I remember watching as a little kid but enjoyed more when I was older. I was a shy awkward kid who loved to doodle and had a big crush on a girl. So I guess I could just relate to him. I guess slice of life isn't really everyone's cup of tea but I always enjoyed it. Except As Told by Ginger. That show was too boring even for me. Probably because I wasn't middle school girl.

Rugrats was the toughest to leave out because I watched it the most besides the shows I picked. My brother and I had all the orange VHS tapes. But it just doesn't hold up as well. The parts with the parents are enjoyable now but... well, it's a show about babies. CatDog was also sort of tough to leave out. If I had an extra dollar I would add Chalkzone but alas, I don't.

I will also cheat and add Catscratch (horribly underrated show that deserved to last more than one season) and KaBlam! (maybe one of Nick's most obscure toons?) for free seeing as they weren't listed.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Rocko's Modern Life and Doug are absolute steals at a dollar.
A man of culture, I see :cool:

I would swap Rocko and Rocket Power's values honestly... I know Rocket Power had its fans but while I never hated it, I never went out of my way to watch it either and given it was firmly a product of the tail end of the 90s, I can't imagine it's aged well at all :laugh:

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
View attachment 516079

The wife was a nick kid, she takes hey Arnold, angry beavers, real misters, Doug and SpongeBob

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
My stance still stands. Both were better than anything Disney had. They were god tier shows, I’d include Batman but that was weekday. Full disclosure, I didn’t have Disney.
I barely watched Disney Channel even as a kid because it was already mostly crappy kidcoms by then. There were like two or three Disney shows I watched but that was it.

IF AVATAR ISNT YOUR #1 PICK THEN I WILL NEVER TRUST A SINGLE WORD YOU SAY EVER AGAIN

IT’S BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER SHOWS COMBINED
I watched like one episode of Avatar. It was not my kind of show and I always hated anime (which I realize now it's not but it's close enough for me). I realize I am 100% alone in this stance.

When I was over friends or families houses we’d watch the help out of it.
The wife and I tried to watch the baseball episode and we had to turn it off halfway through.
I'm going to need you to watch yourself. That was my favorite episode as well as the movie theater one that it was paired with. Granted I haven't seen it in probably 15 years but my standards haven't been raised since then so I would 100% still enjoy it.

Reactions: Striiker

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I barely watched Disney Channel even as a kid because it was already mostly crappy kidcoms by then. There were like two or three Disney shows I watched but that was it.

I watched like one episode of Avatar. It was not my kind of show and I always hated anime (which I realize now it's not but it's close enough for me). I realize I am 100% alone in this stance.

I'm going to need you to watch yourself. That was my favorite episode as well as the movie theater one that it was paired with. Granted I haven't seen it in probably 15 years but my standards haven't been raised since then so I would 100% still enjoy it.
I’m telling you, watch the episode. It was great as a kid, but it’s not as good as we remember. Terrible animation, bad writing, huge voids of nothingness in the background scenery.
Looking back on it, I’m amazed the show was picked up with its quality.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I’m telling you, watch the episode. It was great as a kid, but it’s not as good as we remember. Terrible animation, bad writing, huge voids of nothingness in the background scenery.
Looking back on it, I’m amazed the show was picked up with its quality.
I'm sorry sir but IMDb doesn't lie :sarcasm:
Screenshot_20220316-085214_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think I have the first season of Rocko on DVD, I will have to rewatch this episode at some point and judge for myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00