OT: Cartoons/Animation/etc Thread

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Yep. I'm pretty sure 63-67 were Chuck Jones years, and while I worship that man, I like the earlier ones better. There were some great space stories in the 60s, though.
It's most likely because by the 60's nobody wanted to pay for classic animation anymore so they cheaped out. Besides T&J no longer had a movie studio financing them. Look at the final years of the Warner Bros. theatrical shorts. They practically looked like Hanna Barbera TV shows at the time. The Children's Ghetto age of animation had begun.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Never got into sports anime/manga that much. The only ones I really enjoyed were Prince of Tennis before it got to whacky to me and Baby Steps. I didn't even care for Kuroko no Basuke that much.

It’s actually the only one I’ve ever watched (I don’t read it) so far. I tried to get into Kuruko but after like 10 episodes I just couldn’t force myself to watch it anymore. Not a fan, unfortunately.

But I really can’t recommend Haikyuu enough. It’s just so damn good and still getting better. If you only ever listen to one thing I say, give this show a chance.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Haven't seen it since it first came out but I liked Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. From what I can remember it was more faithful to the book than Peter Jackson's films. Unfortunately they never made the sequel to finish the story.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Haven't seen it since it first came out but I liked Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. From what I can remember it was more faithful to the book than Peter Jackson's films. Unfortunately they never made the sequel to finish the story.

It's absolutely awesome, but they mashed up Legolas and Glorfindel. I haven't seen it in ages either - I'll have to watch it soon.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Those were awesome
herculoids_0.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Lord Defect

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Warning ahead: I'm going to be "that guy":

Kids' cartoons after the 1970s just rubbed me as being wimpy. Same for anime. Hated Speed Racer, but loved Kimba the White Lion when I was a wee lad. Yes, wimpy and anime, so sue me.

The Mighty Heroes was transcendent for me. Ralph Bakshi was a genius.
Duckman is still a personal favorite
The Pink Panther cartoons, with Inspector Clouseau, Ant & The Aardvark and Tijuana Toads were great TV
The Venture Bros. still generate fresh laughs
American Dad - I'll take it over Family Guy, which is still very good
Spider-Man (1967) was too cool and ahead of its time
Of course, Ren & Stimpy, Spawn, South Park, Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast, Schoolhouse Rock, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, and Beavis and Butthead all make the cut.

As for The Jetsons...Jane His Wife was pure sex.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Warning ahead: I'm going to be "that guy":

Kids' cartoons after the 1970s just rubbed me as being wimpy. Same for anime. Hated Speed Racer, but loved Kimba the White Lion when I was a wee lad. Yes, wimpy and anime, so sue me.

The Mighty Heroes was transcendent for me. Ralph Bakshi was a genius.
Duckman is still a personal favorite
The Pink Panther cartoons, with Inspector Clouseau, Ant & The Aardvark and Tijuana Toads were great TV
The Venture Bros. still generate fresh laughs
American Dad - I'll take it over Family Guy, which is still very good
Spider-Man (1967) was too cool and ahead of its time
Of course, Ren & Stimpy, Spawn, South Park, Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast, Schoolhouse Rock, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, and Beavis and Butthead all make the cut.

As for The Jetsons...Jane His Wife was pure sex.

You definitely missed Batman: The Animated Series and X-Men from the early 90's then. They were anything but wimpy.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Ever since the mid-90s I've had trouble with American animation. Too stylized for my taste. But then, I had real issues with the animation in Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse, so I may just be a crazy person.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Ever since the mid-90s I've had trouble with American animation. Too stylized for my taste. But then, I had real issues with the animation in Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse, so I may just be a crazy person.

Ew, bad take

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You definitely missed Batman: The Animated Series and X-Men from the early 90's then. They were anything but wimpy.

I liked the 90’s animated Spider-Man too. I liked the old one too though (think it was like Spider-Man & Friends or some shit, the human torch guy from the fantastic four was one of them I think?).

I watched the animated Superman too but I would safely rate that behind Batman, Spider-Man, & X-Men personally.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
View attachment 516079

This is for the children among our illustrious board (myself included) who grew up watching Nickelodeon in the late 90s/early 00s (which I realize does not represent everyone here). Made the rounds on social media a few weeks ago, I'm told.

Also please note Vancouver Beavers mascots Norbert and Daggett sitting pretty in a $4 spot.
Avatar, Fairly Odd Parents, Rocket Power, SpongeBob.

Easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->