GDT: carpit

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Ten different Canes had points today, six had multi-point games ... none of them were named Aho, Teravainen or Svechnikov (or Hamilton, obviously). If you had told me that in October, there's no way I'd have believed you.

Also, PIT lost 5-2 at home to WSH and 6-2 at home to CAR this weekend. I'm not sure I could be any happier. Without a doubt, my least-favorite fanbase.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
3 Stars:
Geekie-1st Star-1st NHL Game!!
Williams-2nd Star
Gardiner-3rd Star

I wish that Ned got a star, but Gardiner was really awesome today. He's been a bright spot, for the most part, during our recent slump (most of the low-lights from our defense in recent games have come from LH guys temporarily playing their off-side like Eddy and Skjei), and I'm happy that he was finally rewarded with some points on the board.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Maybe, just maybe, Ned and Forsberg are the reason why the Canes swung on 4 years of Skjei instead of dealing the same pick for a Lehner rental +. I know that choice is still somewhat controversial among some parts of the league & our fanbase, but it isn't a bad piece of work, I'd say.
Because of 2 games? Slooooooooooow your roll there. Let’s count our blessings, and be thankful that the same brutal defense we were lamenting hasn’t been seen the last two games. Seems like there have been fewer breakdowns for sure.

Last two games they’ve both been solid. Hopefully they continue that trend.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Because of 2 games? Slooooooooooow your roll there. Let’s count our blessings, and be thankful that the same brutal defense we were lamenting hasn’t been seen the last two games. Seems like there have been fewer breakdowns for sure.

Last two games they’ve both been solid. Hopefully they continue that trend.

We had a deadline week where 4 new guys were just plopped into our lineup all of a sudden due to both injuries and trade acquisitions. It takes time for a team to adjust to such dramatic turnover. I think our defense should stabilize some more with Vatanen adding some much-needed RHed ammo. Having only Slavin playing his off-side should allow guys like Eddy/Skjei to stabilize their games before (hopefully) the playoffs.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
We had a deadline week where 4 new guys were just plopped into our lineup all of a sudden due to both injuries and trade acquisitions. It takes time for a team to adjust to such dramatic turnover. I think our defense should stabilize some more with Vatanen adding some much-needed RHed ammo.
Anything to bump Gardiner out of the lineup

Reactions: Tryamw

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Good thing about Geekie is that he actually looked like a man with 3 points night.

At least columbus has a horrible program to face. NYR had a prett god week with their first line, but man, they played huge minutes. Panarin some 27-28 min against washington etc. at max, but generally huge minutes the whole week. No way they're gonna go on such hot streak this way.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not happening, LOL, not after today at least. It'll probably be Fleury or Eddy getting benched, likely the former, unfortunately. If he has another major screw-up, then sure, but right now? No.
Well... Gardiner TOI in last few games:

NYIMAR 7000-200001513:20
PHIMAR 5000-100021814:59
MTLFEB 29000000001512:23
COLFEB 28000-100001612:48
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Edmundson is on first pairing with Slavin, Fleury is on rise. Gardiner is odd man out because he sucks.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Well... Gardiner TOI in last few games:

NYIMAR 7000-200001513:20
PHIMAR 5000-100021814:59
MTLFEB 29000000001512:23
COLFEB 28000-100001612:48
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Edmundson is on first pairing with Slavin, Fleury is on rise. Gardiner is odd man out because he sucks.

TVR had the least amount of minutes today. Maybe TVR's the one that gets benched? I don't tend to see minutes as indicators of whom gets benched. I tend to look, instead, at who had a good recent game and who didn't. I tend to see Fleury as the easiest guy to bench out of our team, unfortunately, not because he's a bad player, but because he's sort of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none in particular. Eddy's the worst possession player of our defense at even-strength, yes, but he's also been an elite PKer all season. Gardiner's a good overall possession player who gives up a ton of high-danger chances because he gaffes a lot, but he's also a positive asset on a PP. Generally, the guys that keep jobs when in a log-jam are the guys who can specialize, even if they don't play the most even-strength minutes on the team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad