GDT: carpit

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh and from that end I agree you can't wait too long, but theres definitely been some voices that think he should be signed because the's done enough down there.

If things weren't the way they are now I'd say he's a perfect candidate to follow the family development path and stay all four years. Drury at 22 is what we want. Given the current climate yes I'd be pulling to sign him after his junior year for sure. After his Sophomore is pushing it, he needs more baking.

Here's what I'll say having really not watched him except at WJC - Drury's pattern has been "one year as a solid 3rd line center finding his way in a league, then one year as a dominant two-way forward" in each league he's played in. AHL might be the next step for him to do that in. Maybe even NHL. Not saying he has "nothing left to prove", but I don't mind giving him that shot now.

As far as "needing more baking", he's 4th in the NCAA in PPG as a sophomore, for a guy who's theoretically not even supposed to be the high-end offensive point producer. Again, not a finished product, but I don't feel like that's the kind of guy where you question trying to sign him as soon as possible to minimize chances of free agency.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Here's what I'll say having really not watched him except at WJC - Drury's pattern has been "one year as a solid 3rd line center finding his way in a league, then one year as a dominant two-way forward" in each league he's played in. AHL might be the next step for him to do that in. Maybe even NHL. Not saying he has "nothing left to prove", but I don't mind giving him that shot now.

As far as "needing more baking", he's 4th in the NCAA in PPG as a sophomore, for a guy who's theoretically not even supposed to be the high-end offensive point producer. Again, not a finished product, but I don't feel like that's the kind of guy where you question trying to sign him as soon as possible to minimize chances of free agency.
Points have very little to do with his growth. I can’t say it enough, not only is the ncaa in general deceptive but the Ivy League schools he plays a lot against are padding the numbers. Some may view that as a reason to leave but I disagree in this particular case. This a guy who needs to work on the aspects of finesse, puck carrying in space, learning how to be an all around offensive stud when it doesn’t come natural. Then let it sit in for a couple years so when you get to the pros some of that offense can’t be easily knocked out of him. He doesn’t need AHL development, he already thinks the game defensively. He won’t learn offense there, not nearly as well as at school. The offense doesn’t come natural to him, the stats are leading you wrong if you think that of him. His Dad was a two point a game guy in the same league, at the same exact stature and style. Comments about how college then was different is just wishful thinking. It’s improved relative to how all hockey has improved. He’s better than his dad the way the whole generation is.

This is a player that if you leave in there longer he’s way more likely to step right in and not need the AHL hardly at all.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Lorentz has taken a long time to move up the ladder, lesser AHL depth on another team probably wouldve meant he never went to the ECHL at all. He seemed good enough to be third line center at the AHL level from the get go.

Lorentz absolutely needed the ECHL level competition WHILE he was improving his skating....which was rough to say the least. It is only after he's continued to advance his skating and then be able to play tougher competition that we're seeing today's Lorentz. I fear his offensive game might have stagnated and his desire to improve his skating along with it.

I actually don't like trading down, especially the top two rounds. We'll see how it works out for last year but I've often found it to be better to just take the best guy on your list instead of being content to get two guys who were likely further down. Other than that I agree with ya. We have enough picks to just pick the ones we have. I get moving UP for sure.

I think the operative quotes that came from the GMBC were that they traded down, got extra picks and felt like they still got the guys they wanted. By the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you're almost certain to have 2 or 3 or 4 players you like, for different reasons, at a particular drafting slot. I don't believe they sacrificed anything and clearly had their eyes on a guy like Jamieson Rees. They got him and Anttoni Honka to boot. In this case they a guy they were targeting and a guy with a boom or bust ceiling.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Lorentz absolutely needed the ECHL level competition WHILE he was improving his skating....which was rough to say the least. It is only after he's continued to advance his skating and then be able to play tougher competition that we're seeing today's Lorentz. I fear his offensive game might have stagnated and his desire to improve his skating along with it.

I think the operative quotes that came from the GMBC were that they traded down, got extra picks and felt like they still got the guys they wanted. By the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you're almost certain to have 2 or 3 or 4 players you like, for different reasons, at a particular drafting slot. I don't believe they sacrificed anything and clearly had their eyes on a guy like Jamieson Rees. They got him and Anttoni Honka to boot. In this case they a guy they were targeting and a guy with a boom or bust ceiling.
If you can find me a gm who says something other than they “got the guy they wanted” I will buy you a beer my friend.

They have a list and took the next two names off of it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Touché! Lol.

upload_2020-3-9_23-38-54.gif

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If you can find me a gm who says something other than they “got the guy they wanted” I will buy you a beer my friend.

They have a list and took the next two names off of it.

Yeah, but that's not what I was saying. There are only 2 reasons to trade down: 1) acquire more, valuable assets, and 2) get your guy anyway and get another asset. I have no reason to believe that Mads Sogaard, Raphael Lavoie, Jackson LaCombe, Nils Hoglander, Kaedan Korczak, Vladislov Firstov, or Alex Vlasic were any higher on the Canes Day 2 draft list. And that was my point, not that it is easy to believe the GM-speak.

You owe me a beer. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->