GDT: carpit

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I wish that Ned got a star, but Gardiner was really awesome today. He's been a bright spot, for the most part, during our recent slump (most of the low-lights from our defense in recent games have come from LH guys temporarily playing their off-side like Eddy and Skjei), and I'm happy that he was finally rewarded with some points on the board.

are you on drugs. Gardiner has been making brutally bad mistakes like every game.

he scores like 1 goal for every GA chance he pretty much creates himself.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
are you on drugs. Gardiner has been making brutally bad mistakes like every game.

he scores like 1 goal for every GA chance he pretty much creates himself.

I'm not on drugs. I watch the same games that you do. Gardiner's game is a treasure trove of trade-offs. They, in the end, balance out to create a net positive, IMO. We lack defensemen right now who can create offense through breakout passing. As good as Fleury has played recently, that isn't his game. Eddy and TVR have been considerably more gaffe-prone than Gardiner has been over this recent slump, and they have an added "bonus" in that they have very little offense to their games outside of dumping the puck. Those are the two guys whom should rotate on the bench after Vats enter the lineup, not Gards or Fleury. I have a bad feeling in my stomach, though, that Brindy's going to staple Fleury to the bench to the crying shrieks from all of us, and give Eddy a load of even-strength minutes for no reason.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm not on drugs. I watch the same games that you do. Gardiner's game is a treasure trove of trade-offs. They, in the end, balance out to create a net positive, IMO. We lack defensemen right now who can create offense through breakout passing. As good as Fleury has played recently, that isn't his game. Eddy and TVR have been considerably more gaffe-prone than Gardiner has been over this recent slump, and they have an added "bonus" in that they have very little offense to their games outside of dumping the puck. Those are the two guys whom should rotate on the bench after Vats enter the lineup, not Gards or Fleury. I have a bad feeling in my stomach, though, that Brindy's going to staple Fleury to the bench to the crying shrieks from all of us, and give Eddy a load of even-strength minutes for no reason.
I'd say those trade offs come to a balance of about negative 25, TBH.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
After Geekie took his first penalty minutes after scoring his first goal, when they came back from the commercial for his in box closeup I felt obligated to take a screen shot.....
9DA4385A-07C3-446C-8C4E-1EDF5E156AC2.png

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
We are in the middle of the race with Fleury playing over 20 minutes in last 4-5 games. No way he sits because someone. It's between Gardiner and TVR.
You can’t have watched Rod these last two seasons and think there’s no way he wouldn’t sit the kid. It’s still on the table.

Side note. By rights Fleury belongs on this team next year. If we didn’t acquire Skjei I would say he’s the second pair lefty the way he’s played. I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t a lock for the third pair. He’s outplayed his competition and has earned it by doing what has been asked of him. Didn’t complain once, waited and waited and has delivered when his time finally came. He looks like the guy we drafted imo. We would’ve liked it earlier but I don’t think he’s had anything to do with that since the regime change. Purely a coach preference for veterans.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You can’t have watched Rod these last two seasons and think there’s no way he wouldn’t sit the kid. It’s still on the table.

Side note. By rights Fleury belongs on this team next year. If we didn’t acquire Skjei I would say he’s the second pair lefty the way he’s played. I’ll be disappointed if he isn’t a lock for the third pair. He’s outplayed his competition and has earned it by doing what has been asked of him. Didn’t complain once, waited and waited and has delivered when his time finally came. He looks like the guy we drafted imo. We would’ve liked it earlier but I don’t think he’s had anything to do with that since the regime change. Purely a coach preference for veterans.
Rod was sitting Fleury because Fleury was playing like a #6-7 defenseman, and had a long history of playing at that level. Fleury has gotten more experience and confidence with more ice time, and he's played much better. But when Rod was constantly sitting him, he was not outplaying guys like TVR. He currently is, and by a substantial margin. Rod can be stubborn, but he isn't blind. Fleury will not be the first one in the pressbox.

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Gardiner is clearly not 100% and hasn't been for one single day since we acquired him. You can see it when he has to change direction quickly. He can't get down and dig for acceleration. It's like watching a 50 year old playing in an alumni game. To be clear, I'm not doubting his effort or "want to" but physically he's just not there.

Fleury is our second best d-man at this point and is proving what a lot of people said all along about him: He needed ice time to progress. The second he got it, he turned into a reliable, consistent player - and I'm gonna be hella pissed if taking on Skjei's contract means we have to let Fleury walk in the offseason.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Gardiner is clearly not 100% and hasn't been for one single day since we acquired him. You can see it when he has to change direction quickly. He can't get down and dig for acceleration. It's like watching a 50 year old playing in an alumni game. To be clear, I'm not doubting his effort or "want to" but physically he's just not there.

Fleury is our second best d-man at this point and is proving what a lot of people said all along about him: He needed ice time to progress. The second he got it, he turned into a reliable, consistent player - and I'm gonna be hella pissed if taking on Skjei's contract means we have to let Fleury walk in the offseason.

He’s an rfa and won’t command enough of a raise that we’d have to consider walking away from him.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would bet money that at least two of Edmundson, TVR, and Gardiner aren't in the organization next year.

Well I’d be shocked to see either of Edmundson or TVR back on the team next year.

Gardiner might need to be moved out in order to balance the roster. The top 4 should be set with the following...

Slavin - Dougie
Skej - Pesce

If Fleury takes the 3rd pairing LD slot which it seems like he should then we need an RD to pair with him. Maybe someone like Demelo is a guy we look at in free agency to fill that hole.

Last edited:

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
Well I’d be shocked to see either of Edmundson or TVR back on the team next year.

Gardiner might need to be moved out in order to balance the roster. The top 4 should be set with the following...

Slavin - Dougie
Skej - Pesce

If Fleury takes the 3rd pairing LD slot which it seems like he should then we need an RD to pair with him. Maybe a someone like Demelo is a guy we look at in free agency to fill that hole.
Vatanen

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad