LeBrun: Carolina willing to move TVR or Fleury for a top 9 forward

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kreider to Canes. would the Canes offer more for a top 6 forward, as opposed to a top 9 forward???

Jack Drury, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, and 1st to Rangers, Kreider, Fast to Canes

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Kreider to Canes. would the Canes offer more for a top 6 forward, as opposed to a top 9 forward???

Jack Drury, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, and 1st to Rangers, Kreider, Fast to Canes

Besides McD in some parts, every Ranger rental has failed brutally last years, so on that basis, prices should be much lower, kinda overated (looking at you Hayes, Nash etc etc)
Zucc his hard, cuz he went down after like 2 periods...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

About 3 prospects too many in there on the Canes side. Canes may consider moving their 1st for a rental Kreider, but I doubt they add much more.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
About 3 prospects too many in there on the Canes side. Canes may consider moving their 1st for a rental Kreider, but I doubt they add much more.

maybe, but Fast is not a throw in along with Kreider. Fast can play top 9 and good along the boards which is needed in the playoffs. he has more value than some realize in my opinion

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Yeah for sure Dubas did such a good job with his core guys :sarcasm:
Nylander and Tavares get paid exactly what they should. Matthews and Marner are probably a million each overpaid. Every GM over pays players. At least he locked up his young players.

Reactions: TML1990

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They could've easily had that forward just by taking Nylander or Ehlers 5 years ago when they had the opportunity. And it isn't like a confirmation bias. Those two guys were legit big time talents coming into the draft, instead they took a gamble on a guy who wasn't even at the time a standout at anything anywhere.

Last edited:

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
They could've easily had that forward just by taking Nylander or Ehlers 5 years ago when they had the opportunity. And it isn't like a confirmation bias. Those two guys were legit big time talents coming into the draft, instead they took a gamble on a guy who wasn't even at the time a standout at anything anywhere.

We could've had Pastrnak too if we're going to be revisionists.

EK65 should be a Cane too while we're at it.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Ron Francis as a GM in a nutshell. Taking Fleury was the opposite of a gamble, it was the "safe" route (rarely pays off) and a need pick (rarely pays off) for the blandest GM in the league. Nylander and Ehlers were the flashy, non-traditional prospects.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
We could've had Pastrnak too if we're going to be revisionists.

EK65 should be a Cane too while we're at it.
Absolutely not the same, Pastrnak was not top-10 on any credible list, He is irrelevant to this convo. EK65..I mean what are you talking about? This is not a discussion about all the possible outcomes this universe has to offer. Nylander and Ehlers literally were the guys that were slotted to be taken at that exact range and Canes blew their chance.
Ron Francis as a GM in a nutshell. Taking Fleury was the opposite of a gamble, it was the "safe" route (rarely pays off) and a need pick (rarely pays off) for the blandest GM in the league. Nylander and Ehlers were the flashy, non-traditional prospects.
I'd call it a safe pick and a gamble at the same time. Fleury never had enough talent to be 100% perceived as a safe pick. If we look back at the draft I'd rather call Bennett that way. He's been talked about as a great leader and competitor who can score. Safe bet to be a career NHLer but star potential is not that high. Kinda Backes-like than Giroux/Crosby. Fleury wasn't passin an eye test to me, didn't have great numbers and didn't look anything special when played for Canada NT.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Absolutely not the same, Pastrnak was not top-10 on any credible list, He is irrelevant to this convo. EK65..I mean what are you talking about? This is not a discussion about all the possible outcomes this universe has to offer. Nylander and Ehlers literally were the guys that were slotted to be taken at that exact range and Canes blew their chance.

I'd call it a safe pick and a gamble at the same time. Fleury never had enough talent to be 100% perceived as a safe pick. If we look back at the draft I'd rather call Bennett that way. He's been talked about as a great leader and competitor who can score. Safe bet to be a career NHLer but star potential is not that high. Kinda Backes-like than Giroux/Crosby. Fleury wasn't passin an eye test to me, didn't have great numbers and didn't look anything special when played for Canada NT.
Canes could have just as likely taken Nylander or Ehlers and had them flame out while Fleury became the next Doughty. It's kind of a crapshoot and revisiting the "what if" drafts isn't much use. If you're that good at identifying who would and wouldn't become big time NHLers WITHOUT the gift of hindsight you should probably be an NHL scout...

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Julien Gauthier, and a conditional lottery protected 1st to Rangers (if he resigns or CAR goes to ECF - otherwise a 2nd), Kreider to Canes. If Rangers retain say 50%, another add from CAR would likely be in the cards

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Canes could have just as likely taken Nylander or Ehlers and had them flame out while Fleury became the next Doughty. It's kind of a crapshoot and revisiting the "what if" drafts isn't much use. If you're that good at identifying who would and wouldn't become big time NHLers WITHOUT the gift of hindsight you should probably be an NHL scout...
Unfortunately, not all the people with talent get to have their dream job.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't see how people are saying this makes sense for the Leafs. Leafs have exactly 1 hole on defense right now, and that is a true shut down D to play with Rielly (and Barrie playing like a top 4 D again).

Both of those guys would be brought in to upgrade the bottom pair. Holl has been outstanding and is the exact thing the team needs.. Shutdown ability, size, toughness, clearing the crease, laying hits, etc. Meanwhile Dermott is on the bottom pairing.

Only way this makes any sort of sense to me, is if Dubas wants Fleury/TVR for the bottom pairing LD spot, move Dermott from LD to RD with Rielly, and then trade Ceci for something to have some cap space to make moves.

However in that case, you would assume they would try Dermott on the top pair for a few games first to see if he is any better than Ceci (who has been pretty damn average in a good way in that spot).

I don't see it. Leafs don't have much use for bottom end roster players. They badly need a backup, they need their top 6 to start playing like they aren't terrible, and need a top 4 shut down D preferably with size.

Maybe throw in a top 6 F like a Ferland or a Wilson which is a dream list scenario as they are too rare.

Reactions: The Podium

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Fleury or TVR for Kapanen out of Toronto makes sense to me.

I mean, I'd probably rather have TVR playing with Rielly than Ceci (not that that's a high bar), but do you think TVR is worth Kappy?

I would have said no, but I fully admit I don't get to watch Carolina all that much.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Ambitious TVR returns a third line forward, he's a pretty run of the mill third pair guy (and he certainly isnt returning anything close to a top 6 player)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Pretty terrible trade for the Leafs as someone who watches both teams.

I should add on, if there was a D the Leafs would target, aside from Pesce and Slavin, it's Edmunston IMO (I know it's not realistic)

If Kapanen were available for Edmundson, bye bye Eddie...don’t see that happening though.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Ambitious TVR returns a third line forward, he's a pretty run of the mill third pair guy (and he certainly isnt returning anything close to a top 6 player)

Thus the adds from CAR suggested from most Canes fans. Their prospect cupboard overfloweth-I’d think any of Gauthier, Kuokkannen, Bokk are available as adds. They also have the TOR 1st, their own 1st and 4 other picks in the 2nd and 3rd rds this year. For the right F with term or RFA status, they certainly have the prospect and pick capital to add to a D to make a trade worthwhile for another team.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Fleury or TVR for Kapanen out of Toronto makes sense to me.

Neither would be a significant enough upgrade to warrant dealing Kapanen. Dermott and Holl have been a great third pair, and neither Fleury or TVR are an upgrade on Barrie or Ceci

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

TVR is a high-end 3rd pair D. The type that pulls a 2nd at the deadline as he already has experience with two deep Playoff runs. He's a guy that a coach can throw on a 3rd pair and not worry about sheltering him against top teams. Boston's bottom-6 walked all over the Canes defense last ECF partly because TVR was knocked out early in Round 2 against NYI.

Nobody expects a rental TVR to pull in a young, cost-controlled top-9 forward. But TVR is well worth a guy like Cody Eakin.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad