LeBrun: Carolina willing to move TVR or Fleury for a top 9 forward

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Fluery + For Kap would make a lot of sense for that Canes.

Kapanen is probably at the top of their wishlist. A speedy, right shot winger who can PK and should be good for 40-5opts a season, also young and under team control for a few more years contract-wise.

I don't see how Fleury is appealing to TOR in the least though. And, there'd be the issue of cap with CAR since they wouldn't have enough space to take on Kapanen's over $3M hit, even after sending out Fleury. TVR might make a bit more sense, with hefty adds from CAR, since he's defensive RD and has a cap hit of $2.3M, but even then, he's certainly not the high-end, 22min a night guy (i.e.-Pesce) that TOR covets. As has been said, Pesce isn't going anywhere, so round and round we go...

Wasn't there some sort of rumor last season where Dubas was somewhat interested in TVR? Not sure where I saw that or if it was truly spouted off by an "insidurr" or just some random internet person...

Personally, I'd easily send over TVR plus the TOR 1st this year for Kapanen.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Fluery + For Kap would make a lot of sense for that Canes.

Canes would be adding either their own or Toronto's 1st if they want to make that deal happen. At least NYR's 2nd.

Personally I don't think the Canes should be targeting young forwards. The Canes already have:
1) Multiple young forwards playing top-9 minutes (Aho, Svech, Necas, TT)
2) A top-10 prospect pool filled with forwards who will need to be given a shot in the next 2-3 years (Geekie, Loustarinen, Kuokkanen, Gauthier, Bokk, Suzuki, Rees, Puistola, 2 first rounders in 2020 draft, etc.)
3) A coach who does not want more than 1 Rookie forward on the team at a time

Haula is a perfect example of the type the Canes should target. 28 years old, 6 NHL seasons under his belt, can be trusted in all areas of the ice, and on a steal of a contract. If Rod wants the Canes to be like the Islanders and win by playing a perfect system then the Canes need to add experience. Their young forwards are already struggling with breakdowns and trying to do too much.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Personally, I'd easily send over TVR plus the TOR 1st this year for Kapanen.
Seems to me that the 1st alone would be enough. I know we'd need to clear salary in that case, but we could send TVR somewhere else for a pick or two.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So the title should actually be, " CAR is willing to move TVR/Fleury for the 9th best forward on your team."

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Seems to me that the 1st alone would be enough. I know we'd need to clear salary in that case, but we could send TVR somewhere else for a pick or two.

Whatever would result in acquiring the player, I'm all for. Just as well to get it done in 1 transaction though, right?

I don't really think for a minute that Dubas would deal Kapanen, unless Pesce or Hamilton were on the table, and we all know where that discussion leads. To me, Kapanen is exactly the type of guy that fits the RBA mold, but I don't think that CAR has a chance at acquiring him via trade with the pieces they'd be willing to give up. That, and the perceived reluctance on the TOR side to make him available.

Anyway, a Kapanen-like player is at the top of my wishlist for CAR to acquire. I also really like Roslovic from WPG, which may be a more likely fit for CAR due to the Jets' dire need on D and the CAR D surplus + draft capital/prospects to add in to make a deal palatable.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
How about the Canes resign Justin Williams and keep both of their Defensemen?
If he wants to come back, I think this is what the team is preparing to do given their cap savings with the 11 forwards/7 defensemen games. But, he may decide he's really done, so the team is likely looking at other options.

Reactions: mikeyfan

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Canes just called up EETU Luostarinen today. Kid is 21 years of age, played in 10 Checkers games, Has 5 goals, 2 Assist and is a -2

Looks like an individual who puts the puck in the net.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Here is a trade that would take a lot of scouting, workouts and heart to heart talks before it would happen, but what if the Canes Trade TVR and the Rangers conditional pick (looks like a second) to Dustin Byfuglien with the Jets retaining 4.6 million That leaves the Canes with a 3 million cap hit which with the trade of TVR and the demotion of a winger they can fit under the Cap. It gives the Jets help now and in the future and rid of a player that no longer desires to play for them. The key is would he play for the Hurricanes and Rod Brind'Amore, accept his demands as a coach regarding his work ethics and is he physically able to play at this time.

He is a player capable of playing both wing and Defense and he would give the Canes a force to be dealt with especially if someone want to pick on a Svech.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Here is a trade that would take a lot of scouting, workouts and heart to heart talks before it would happen, but what if the Canes Trade TVR and the Rangers conditional pick (looks like a second) to Dustin Byfuglien with the Jets retaining 4.6 million That leaves the Canes with a 3 million cap hit which with the trade of TVR and the demotion of a winger they can fit under the Cap. It gives the Jets help now and in the future and rid of a player that no longer desires to play for them. The key is would he play for the Hurricanes and Rod Brind'Amore, accept his demands as a coach regarding his work ethics and is he physically able to play at this time.

He is a player capable of playing both wing and Defense and he would give the Canes a force to be dealt with especially if someone want to pick on a Svech.

What sort of nonsense is this? Buff is out until at least January, why on earth would CAR do this? And then there's that little problem of it being against the rules for a team to retain more than 50% of an outgoing/traded player's salary.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
What sort of nonsense is this? Buff is out until at least January, why on earth would CAR do this? And then there's that little problem of it being against the rules for a team to retain more than 50% of an outgoing/traded player's salary.
Then by January, the Canes could afford 50% of Buffs salary. As stated there would need to be a lot of scouting to insure he was ready, permission to converse with him and his agent from the Jets to make sure he would give his all to the Canes. But he is a physical presence that would keep other teams big men from running over our speed.
You may not like it but for the price, I believe it would be something to look into.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
The Pens are getting healthy up front, and have a bit of a log jam up front. Especialy with guys pushing up from WBS for places with the big club. Is there anything on the Pens roster that would entice Carolina right now?

I would think the usual pieces are off limits, aka Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel. After those probably thrown in Tanev (not for his value though I love him so far, mainly thinking that he just signed a long deal).

Some, like McCann, Kahun, Rust would be very tough to part with, but I'd think virtually they and virtually other forward could at least be part of a conversation when it comes to a cheap, young quality defender in Fleury.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Then by January, the Canes could afford 50% of Buffs salary. As stated there would need to be a lot of scouting to insure he was ready, permission to converse with him and his agent from the Jets to make sure he would give his all to the Canes. But he is a physical presence that would keep other teams big men from running over our speed.
You may not like it but for the price, I believe it would be something to look into.

complete nonsense

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

0 reason for the Jets to even consider that. If Buff isn't healthy his value is 0. If he's healthy and ready to play, his value is much more than TVR and a 2nd. Lesser players than Buff return a 1st and a good prospect. If he's healthy, that's the absolute floor, with plenty of teams looking to add a difference maker on RD.

Reactions: FireChevy

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
0 reason for the Jets to even consider that. If Buff isn't healthy his value is 0. If he's healthy and ready to play, his value is much more than TVR and a 2nd. Lesser players than Buff return a 1st and a good prospect. If he's healthy, that's the absolute floor, with plenty of teams looking to add a difference maker on RD.
You're missing the main point of the trade. And that is "IF Buff is through with the Jets"

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The Pens are getting healthy up front, and have a bit of a log jam up front. Especialy with guys pushing up from WBS for places with the big club. Is there anything on the Pens roster that would entice Carolina right now?

I would think the usual pieces are off limits, aka Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel. After those probably thrown in Tanev (not for his value though I love him so far, mainly thinking that he just signed a long deal).

Some, like McCann, Kahun, Rust would be very tough to part with, but I'd think virtually they and virtually other forward could at least be part of a conversation when it comes to a cheap, young quality defender in Fleury.

I'd think a healthy Rust would be of interest, maybe Kahun. What does Rust's contract situation look like?

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Title: "Carolina willing to move TVR or Fleury"

JohnnyT91 uses this as an opportunity to add to the hundreds of "Pesce to Toronto" proposals.

Long answer: The only way I see Pesce being moved is with a massive overpayment. Canes already have a bunch of LHD so while I think Sandin is an excellent prospect, he doesn't do much this year, or even in the future TBH with Slavin and Gardiner signed long term and more in the system. Canes already have 2 firsts (Carolina and TOR), two 2nds (Carolina and NYR), and two 3rds (CAR and BUFF) and had 12 picks last year. Another 2nd round pick really isn't very enticing. Also, Canes are looking to compete now, not down the road and losing Pesce would hurt a lot more than gaining a forward.

Short answer: No.
I kinda defaulted to the old addage that Canes have D depth and forgot about Faulk and Fox.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'd think a healthy Rust would be of interest, maybe Kahun. What does Rust's contract situation look like?
We've got him signed up through the summer of 2022 at 3.5M AAv.

Even though he is 27, I still kind of put him in that dont-wanna-part-with-him-McCann bracket because he's just such a responsible and adaptable player who can be a threat many different ways. And he's been around for both cups and is really a heart and soul guy. In many ways he is like the living embodiment of Sullivan's Penguins at their best. Tenacious, fast, irrepressible, little guy with a big heart, and just has a way of making plays or scoring greasy goals that seem above his station.

But now that the forward corps is completely healthy, virtually everyone is performing (Bjugstad and Galchenyuk are like the only ones not seeing their numbers pick up) and something just has to give. Kahun is putting up points and looking great, Blueger and Tanev embracing their roles and excelling. Its just a situation where something has got to give, and Rust might be the logical option because of age and cap.

If its the difference between moving Bjugstad for mid round picks, and moving Rust for something of actual value, id think very seriously about the latter.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What about a 3 team deal between the Rangers, Carolina and Anaheim?

To Carolina:

Kreider @ 50% (2.3125 mil cap hit)

To Anaheim:

TVR (2.3 mil cap hit)

To Rangers:

Gauthier
Rangers 2020 3rd round pick (conditional pick traded to Carolina in the Fox deal)
Anaheim's 2020 3rd round pick

I'm not sure if the value is right for each team, but I think it's pretty close.

If necessary, the Rangers can move TVR to Anaheim in a separate deal and retain 50% on his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad