LeBrun: Carolina willing to move TVR or Fleury for a top 9 forward

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Whatever would result in acquiring the player, I'm all for. Just as well to get it done in 1 transaction though, right?

I don't really think for a minute that Dubas would deal Kapanen, unless Pesce or Hamilton were on the table, and we all know where that discussion leads. To me, Kapanen is exactly the type of guy that fits the RBA mold, but I don't think that CAR has a chance at acquiring him via trade with the pieces they'd be willing to give up. That, and the perceived reluctance on the TOR side to make him available.

Anyway, a Kapanen-like player is at the top of my wishlist for CAR to acquire. I also really like Roslovic from WPG, which may be a more likely fit for CAR due to the Jets' dire need on D and the CAR D surplus + draft capital/prospects to add in to make a deal palatable.
In no way shape or form is Kap worth Dougie or Pesce. It's really not even close. In the context of this discussion, its Fleury and a 2nd.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In no way shape or form is Kap worth Dougie or Pesce. It's really not even close. In the context of this discussion, its Fleury and a 2nd.

No shit.

Dubas wishes he was worth that and tried to use him plus Brown to acquire Pesce at the draft. I’d like to think that by using a little bit of insight while reading my original post, you could infer from my post that it was clear that Kapanen for either D is a no go.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What about a 3 team deal between the Rangers, Carolina and Anaheim?

To Carolina:

Kreider @ 50% (2.3125 mil cap hit)

To Anaheim:

TVR (2.3 mil cap hit)

To Rangers:

Gauthier
Rangers 2020 3rd round pick (conditional pick traded to Carolina in the Fox deal)
Anaheim's 2020 3rd round pick

I'm not sure if the value is right for each team, but I think it's pretty close.

If necessary, the Rangers can move TVR to Anaheim in a separate deal and retain 50% on his contract.

Gauthier + TVR seems like a high price to pay already for Kreider. Not too interested in adding another high 2nd round pick (NYR conditional). I'd rather just take Kreider on at full $$ and trade away Brock McGinn's $2 million for pennies on the dollar.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gauthier is worth less than his draft slot given that he's yet to establish himself as an NHL player. He's worth a 2nd or so. TvR is a 3rd pairing defenseman and an impending UFA. A 3rd is not an unfair valuation. The Rangers pick will likely end up being an early to mid 2nd rounder; Fox is well on his way to meeting the GP condition. Together, that's a high price, but not an unreasonable one for perhaps the next best rental on the market after Hall.

The question is if Carolina’s value-driven FO would want to pay that price for a player they're unlikely to re-sign. Signing a 29 year old to the long-term contract he’ll be in line for has a risk profile that doesn’t mesh with how they’ve operated thus far. I'd put Krieder below a non-rental like Saad/Zucker or a rental a tier below like Toffoli/Simmonds on the wish list.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What about a 3 team deal between the Rangers, Carolina and Anaheim?

To Carolina:

Kreider @ 50% (2.3125 mil cap hit)

To Anaheim:

TVR (2.3 mil cap hit)

To Rangers:

Gauthier
Rangers 2020 3rd round pick (conditional pick traded to Carolina in the Fox deal)
Anaheim's 2020 3rd round pick

I'm not sure if the value is right for each team, but I think it's pretty close.

If necessary, the Rangers can move TVR to Anaheim in a separate deal and retain 50% on his contract.
Isn’t that pick more likely to be a 2nd round pick (and a high one at that) since it depends on Fox playing a relatively low number of games?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Isn’t that pick more likely to be a 2nd round pick (and a high one at that) since it depends on Fox playing a relatively low number of games?

Yes, it is. I figured TVR was worth a 3rd, but maybe I was lowballing him. I think the basis of a deal could be there though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah I agree. If you do TVR + NYR cond 2nd + Gauthier is like giving up 3x 2nds at the very least and as mentioned the Rangers one will be early. Gauthier would be worth an early 2nd as well. It’s a lot of value to give up for a rental even with retention.
Yeah, that's a lot of value even if he's signed imo.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yes, the condition is > 30 games. Fox is already at 14 and there's no reason for the Rangers to send him down for more than half a season at this point.
And the reason a Rangers fan would put it in a proposal as a throw in “third rounder”. :nod:

Fox is running the pp and has pts in seven games straight or something like that. He was one of their best players last night so unless he gets seriously injured that conditional third rounder is going to be the second rounder of a team expected to miss the playoffs. From a throw in third rounder to a pick maybe in the 30’s. I’m not surprised they want it back!

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I'm wondering if the Canes didn't find their man last night when they brought up Eetu Luostainen The kid looked good. He looked fast, hard hitting and not afraid to mix it up at the net.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Hadn Fluery - 1st rounder 7th overall pick 2014
Lawson Crouse - 1st Round 11th overall pick 2015

AZ needs a D man and Crouse is signed for 3 more years at 1.533 per year. Seems like a fit to me.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Canes could have just as likely taken Nylander or Ehlers and had them flame out while Fleury became the next Doughty. It's kind of a crapshoot and revisiting the "what if" drafts isn't much use. If you're that good at identifying who would and wouldn't become big time NHLers WITHOUT the gift of hindsight you should probably be an NHL scout...

Except Fleury had NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER of becoming the next Doughty. The talent just wasn’t there. He was never discussed as an elite talent.

He was nothing but a safe pick.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d try to pry Granlund out of Nashville. The guy is lost there. He actually is a very good Top6 winger but hasnt been able to put it together there. For cap-reasons Nashville will have to retain.

Something like:

Carolina get:

Mikael Granlund 5,75M/1yr ( Nashville retain 50%)

Nashville get:

TVR 2,3M/1yr
Carolina 2nd

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
a top 9 foward for a bottom pair d . the canes seem flush with top 9 guys tho so I dont see the point package a couple guys and go for a top liner

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad