Rumor: Carolina seeking Saad in a Faulk trade

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can't see Carolina retaining more than 27% which puts Darlings caphit at around 3mil. Yes Hossa only makes 1mil in actual cash but he's not on the ice so you still need to pay someone who will be. So the Hossa 3 + Darling 3 + backup 3 (if you can find one that cheap) is the same as Darlings 9mil that'll be left. So the Hossa for Darling with some retention part of the deal is fine. Is the Faulk for Saad one? It's a better return than a pick + prospect but I'm not a huge Saad guy and think he's overpaid a bit.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Chicago taking Darling off Carolina's hands is a huge favor to the hurricanes, way more than Carolina taking Hossa, which is not really a needed move.

If I am being honest, i am hesitant to lose Saad for Faulk, just because we are selling Saad at an all time low and I just fear in trading for another dman that Quenneville will decide he doesnt like one week into training camp, for the rest of his career, as always

Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How good is Faulk? Trying to gauge this trade.

A 15 goal caliber #3/#4 OFD. He had a down year offensively, but that was driven by a shooting percentage that was a little better than half of his prior three-year average. That should bounce back next season and his production will follow.

Faulk has upside in a more conservative system, imo. Decision making with the puck is an issue at times as it is for players of that ilk, but finding himself out of position because of overaggressiveness has been a driver of his struggles. I’m not well versed enough about the Hawks to comment on that particular fit. A kick in the pants might do him good anyway, as it did for E. Staal. It wasn't too long ago that he was at a #1 level. He's only 25; it's not an issue of aging.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
A 4 million dollar backup though? Or is the idea to trade Crawford and take a huge gamble on Darling being the starter?
I thought Crawford's career was in jeopardy with his health issue, or has that changed??

Apr 9, 2009
USA
We've all heard how the Canes want to get tougher supposedly, and all kinds of garbage offers because of it here.

Adding Saad/Svec gives their F group a whole new look, adding size/toughness without sacrifising talent or speed.
This would also mean no bad signings or trades for certain players past their prime, which would be a huge +.
Saad will only be 26y next season.

Is Saad tough..?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Saad goes the other way in a Faulk and Darling trade, you have to imagine more than just Hossa's contract is involved, because Hossa's deal isnt really hurting the hawks game like Bickells was.

If Saad is included, Carolina would definitely need to be including a another significant piece because Darlings value is negative right now, far more negative than Hossa's LTIR cap hit

Not true. Having Hossa on LTIR handicaps the team all season long. Sure they get to replace that 5m, but they do not get to use the benefit of any cap savings all season to acquire a player on a pro-rated contract at the TD.

For example, if a team is at 83m (80m cap) with Hossa on LTIR, (for the sake of argument they get to spend up to 85m) they still have 2m that they can spend on a player. However they can only acquire a player who's entire cap hit/AAV is 2m or less (or more if the other team retains, and some salary goes back).

However if a team is sitting 2m under the cap (78/80m) and they do so all season (23 man roster, zero roster movement, everyone healthy, etc), then at the TD, they could acquire a player who's cap hit is around 6-7m with zero retention and without sending out any salary.

Not the end of the world if you're a bottom feeder team, but for a team that has aspirations of challenging for another cup or two, that's a serious handicap. Why do you think Philly and Boston paid to move Pronger and Savard? Because while they're not massive issues, they are issues that limit the options a team has.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Chicago taking Darling off Carolina's hands is a huge favor to the hurricanes, way more than Carolina taking Hossa, which is not really a needed move.

Not really. Canes could buy Darling out and it would cost $1.3M / year for the next 6 years ($7.9M total). Taking on Hossa would cost the Canes $1M / year for the next 3 years. So Canes would save only about $900K over the 1st 3 years by taking on Hossa vs. buying Darling out and then it would cost them another $1.3M / year for 3 additional years. It's definitely better, but not as big of a favor as some like to think.

If I am being honest, i am hesitant to lose Saad for Faulk, just because we are selling Saad at an all time low and I just fear in trading for another dman that Quenneville will decide he doesnt like one week into training camp, for the rest of his career, as always

Very understandable and reasonable position to take.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The mix of the 2 adds size and toughness.
I try to think of more than just fighting for toughness category.

I do too, I just never saw Saad as a tough player and I have watched him play quite a bit being a resident of Columbus.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm down. If we can sign JVR, losing Saad is no big deal and having Faulk will really help bolster the blueline.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If Saad for Faulk goes down, anyone up for Lindholm and a small plus for Brodie?

Trading a D for a LW doesn’t make the Canes only right handed C more available. It likely just means that Skinner would be traded.

The RD the Canes need to bring in is a veteran safety net for Hanifin. Not sure Brodie is fit for that role.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad