Rumor: Carolina seeking Saad in a Faulk trade

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not totally true . Faulk's number have dropped 3 years straight . I hope Chicago gets him as he gets light up like a christmas tree in the D zone . Only can help the Oilers having him in the west on another team

Not totally true.

Faulk's goal scoring increased for 3 straight years before falling off a cliff this year.

After his 49 Point season, he had basically the same PPG the following season, and in fact, was at a better PPG pace before Malone injured him in practice. He came back on 1 leg basically and still ended the season with the same PPG even though he could barely move. These past 2 years that PPG has dipped, no arguing that.

So to net it out: Goal scoring, he was pretty steady for 3 straight years and dropped off this year. Point totals he has dropped for the past 2 years.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Not totally true . Faulk's number have dropped 3 years straight . I hope Chicago gets him as he gets light up like a christmas tree in the D zone. Only can help the Oilers having him in the west on another team

Not true. Faulk's defensive lapses are generally transitional and in the neutral zone.

Also, it's more inconsistency...he looks great defensively 2-3 games, then has one where he plays defensively like you shouldn't trust him to be on the ice with a 3-goal lead.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Hossa is only owed 3 M while Darling is owed 11 M in actual salary.
The Darling for Hossa swap benefits both clubs without retention, Canes save actual salary while Chicago gets rid of empty cap hit. If Canes retain, then the benefit goes away for them as we still need to sign a backup goalie to some contract that Darling would have at least filled.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The Darling for Hossa swap benefits both clubs without retention, Canes save actual salary while Chicago gets rid of empty cap hit. If Canes retain, then the benefit goes away for them as we still need to sign a backup goalie to some contract that Darling would have at least filled.

Hawks would rather have Hossa LTIR flexibility than the full Darling contract.

Reactions: HawkeyTalkMan

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Here are the options as I see them and 3 year real dollar cost from a Carolina POV:

Option 1: Canes do nothing and have Darling as a back-up goalie for 3 years: 3 year Cost = $11.8M total ($3.9M / year)
Option 2: Canes buy out Darling for $7.9M over 6 years and have to sign a back-up goalie for ~$2M: 3 year Cost =$9.9M ($3.3M / year) + $1.3M / year for 3 more years due to buyout in year 4-6.
Option 3: Darling to Chicago, Hossa to Carolina, Canes have to sign back-up: 3 year cost = $9.0M ($3.0M / year)
Option 4: Darling to Chicago w/ 25% retention, Hossa to Carolina, Canes sign back-up: 3 year cost = $11.75M ($3.9M / year)

If the Canes were to take on Hossa AND retain 25% on Darling in the transaction, it would be no more beneficial financially than just keeping Darling as an expensive back-up. Financials won't be the only implications here, but this shows that from a financial POV, if the Canes were to take back Hossa in a trade for Darling, there's not much incentive to retain much, if anything at all.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Ignoring cap hit for a minute: I've heard that most teams carry insurance policies that cover part of the cost of actual salary paid to players on LTIR. Wouldn't that coverage terminate if a player is traded? And isn't it likely that the injured player wouldn't be covered under the policy of an acquiring team? In other words, would the Canes be responsible for Hossa's full actual salary whereas Chicago is likely reimbursed by insurance for a portion of it? If so, seems like that would have to be included in the numbers calculations.

Anyone know more about the insurance factor?

Reactions: Unsustainable

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ignoring cap hit for a minute: I've heard that most teams carry insurance policies that cover part of the cost of actual salary paid to players on LTIR. Wouldn't that coverage terminate if a player is traded? And isn't it likely that the injured player wouldn't be covered under the policy of an acquiring team? In other words, would the Canes be responsible for Hossa's full actual salary whereas Chicago is likely reimbursed by insurance for a portion of it? If so, seems like that would have to be included in the numbers calculations.

Anyone know more about the insurance factor?

Hossa only makes $1 million in salary each year so that point is pretty inconsequential even if true.

And from my understanding, very few players actually are covered under insurance to pay LTIR claims.

Reactions: sheriff bart

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Couldn't it be argued that Faulk is at the nadir of his value as well?

(in reality, I was just impressed with your use of nadir and wanted to use it myself).
You've gotta commend the Canes fans for their loyalty to one another. Look at the likes on this post. Can't say I'm not jealous lol

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes fans on HF are the best fans on HF, that's something I've learned in my 3 years here.

Miss the Playoffs for nearly a decade straight and you too can experience the whittling down of your fanbase to the most masochistic, sarcastic, loyal supporters who (for God only knows why) still enjoy wasting their time talking about their annually irrelevant team.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
With all the ex Hawks players there it would be great to see the team do well and they have a great group of young players. Kind of like the old Whalers uni's though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Miss the Playoffs for nearly a decade straight and you too can experience the whittling down of your fanbase to the most masochistic, sarcastic, loyal supporters who (for God only knows why) still enjoy wasting their time talking about their annually irrelevant team.

This year, the Canes have been the most relevant post the regular season than they have in years, which is sad for why they are relevant. Dundon, Francis, Waddell, Dudley, Peters, Brind'Amour, winning the 2nd OA, everyone but Aho is available, etc.. etc..

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Well, that's fair. Good luck then.

And good luck finding something better than a buyout of Darling. I figure Chicago values Darling higher than any other team. The bottom line is finding a deal with Hossa and Darling gives both teams something they want but to the Detroit fan who questions why Carolina would need to retain- you have to look at the actual cash that is owed each player.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
And good luck finding something better than a buyout of Darling. I figure Chicago values Darling higher than any other team. The bottom line is finding a deal with Hossa and Darling gives both teams something they want but to the Detroit fan who questions why Carolina would need to retain- you have to look at the actual cash that is owed each player.

Sure, but trading Darling with retention and taking on Hossa really isn't better than a buyout, in fact, it could be worse (depending on the retention and cost of a back-up replacement for Darling).

The issue is the two teams have different goals. Hawks = reduce/minimize cap implications. Canes = reduce/minimize actual cash flow.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Don’t have any interest in moving Saad in a Faulk trade. Guess that’s what was meant when the initial reports said the price was too high. Don’t at all blame Carolina for trying to buy low on Saad. His underlying numbers say he’s due for a bounce back year this year. He was still 12th in the nhl in 5v5 scoring chances per 60min, he just couldn’t put the puck in the net last year. It happens. Willing to bet that career low shooting percentage evens out next year.

If Saads getting moved for a D, it needs to be the right fit. We need someone a lot more responsible in his own end than Faulk. Moving Saad for Faulk opens up more holes than it fills. Still would entertain a deal around the 27th + for Faulk though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->