Rumor: Carolina seeking Saad in a Faulk trade

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Trading a D for a LW doesn’t make the Canes only right handed C more available. It likely just means that Skinner would be traded.

The RD the Canes need to bring in is a veteran safety net for Hanifin. Not sure Brodie is fit for that role.

Brodie plays extremely well on the RS better than LS and he's shown he can be better than his partner if he has a great partner.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I have a question for Hawks fans:

Saad scored a PP goal in the 2nd game of the year. That is the only PP point he scored throughout the entire year in 174 minutes of TOI. Let's say a PP shift is 1 minute, Saad was on the ice for 174 PP shifts and contributed (quantifiably) to one scoring play.

How?
Was This answered? Really good question

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
A 15 goal caliber #3/#4 OFD. He had a down year offensively, but that was driven by a shooting percentage that was a little better than half of his prior three-year average. That should bounce back next season and his production will follow.

Faulk has upside in a more conservative system, imo. Decision making with the puck is an issue at times as it is for players of that ilk, but finding himself out of position because of overaggressiveness has been a driver of his struggles. I’m not well versed enough about the Hawks to comment on that particular fit. A kick in the pants might do him good anyway, as it did for E. Staal. It wasn't too long ago that he was at a #1 level. He's only 25; it's not an issue of aging.

He is more like a number 2/3. You will hard team finding a lot of teams that have 3 better D than Faulk.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I tjink Faulk has little more value than Saad. 2/3 D vs 50 point 2nd line winger. If Hawks takes some salary or add a pick, then that might even it out.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
I still think Saad will bounce back and be a consistent 50-55 point player, Bowman about to make another dumb mistake that will set the franchise back.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
While I'm sure it makes sense that Carolina would "ask" for Saad, I'm not sure it makes sense that the Hawks would do that. On the surface, it seems to be a reasonably fair deal value-wise, but I was under the impression that the whole reason why Chicago would want Faulk is because they feel they still have a window over the next couple of years with Kane, Keith and Toews and Faulk would help them in that regard. Granted, Saad struggled last year as well, but wouldn't a Faulk for Saad deal kind of be a "1 step forward, 1 step back"?

Maybe if they get Darling (with retention) and lose Hossa, they have some flexibility to add someone else in a different trade/signing?

Seems like Chicago would want to move futures for Faulk and Carolina would want equal value players for Faulk which might make a deal tough.

I do think you are on to something with adding Hossa and Darling to the deal. Doesn’t feel like to Canes are going to jump to a cap team on day one of the new ownership group?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't see why we'd want Faulk, especially at the cost of trading Saad.

Sure, he's a good player and our defense needs some help, but he's not a huge upgrade over either of Rutta or Murphy, and our two best prospects (Jokiharju and Mitchell) are RHDs that could get some games in for the 18-19 season (Joker could steal a spot out of camp, Mitchell could get a few games after his college season is over).

I'd rather we just tried to sign one of Moore or De Haan in free agency and hope that Forsling, Rutta, and Murphy continue to improve. And Moore is from the area and in a summer hockey league here (where he'll play with and against a number of Hawks including Kane), so it shouldn't be too hard to sign him if we wanted. And we actually have the cap space to sign someone like that this time.

Saad scored a PP goal in the 2nd game of the year. That is the only PP point he scored throughout the entire year in 174 minutes of TOI. Let's say a PP shift is 1 minute, Saad was on the ice for 174 PP shifts and contributed (quantifiably) to one scoring play.

How?

Saad never was good on the PP. He historically put up great numbers even strength, so it wasn't a big deal when we reacquired him. For the two seasons he was in Columbus, versus the 2 season Bread was with us, they had very comparable even strength point totals. The difference was supposed to be on the PP. And he's just not built for the man advantage.

But instead of keeping him off of it, Q decided to run with him on one of our units for the entire season. Not to say that Saad was all that much worse than anyone else on the PP this season. We really, really sucked at it. Like bad enough where we joke about not accepting the PP levels of bad.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio

How?

Same awful powerplay setup that the Hawks have been running for years. Saad's a left shot and is primarily put on the left side or left point on the powerplay where he's not a threat to score. The Hawk's system normally runs through the right side with Toews and Kane. Saad also only took 26 shots on the powerplay all year, a powerplay that was in the bottom 10 in the league. That combined with his career worst shooting percentage, and boom, one PP goal.

TL;DR: Bad luck and Joel Quenneville.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If Saad goes the other way in a Faulk and Darling trade, you have to imagine more than just Hossa's contract is involved, because Hossa's deal isnt really hurting the hawks game like Bickells was.

If Saad is included, Carolina would definitely need to be including a another significant piece because Darlings value is negative right now, far more negative than Hossa's LTIR cap hit

Any Hossa/Darling trade would be more about subsidizing Darling's cap hit than dumping a bad contract in Hossa.

LTIR doesn't just = free cap. CHI has to exceed to cap ceiling by the entirety of Hossa's contract to get the full cap hit back. CHI has about 11M of cap space with 17/23 skaters signed and no major contracts. So there's a possibility that they won't get the entirety of Hossa's 5.275M back.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me to see Carolina retain on Darling. Maybe not the full 50 percent.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Same awful powerplay setup that the Hawks have been running for years. Saad's a left shot and is primarily put on the left side or left point on the powerplay where he's not a threat to score. The Hawk's system normally runs through the right side with Toews and Kane. Saad also only took 26 shots on the powerplay all year, a powerplay that was in the bottom 10 in the league. That combined with his career worst shooting percentage, and boom, one PP goal.

TL;DR: Bad luck and Joel Quenneville.

Exactly. Unless quenneville is watching tape and asking for a trade of a specific dman, Bowman should not be pulling the trigger. Quenneville has not had what you would consider a strong dman acquisition and system fit in his tenure here except johnny oduya and he was good half the time here and bad the other half

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Been sort of the way things have gone for Chicago since 2015. They zig when they should have zagged. They traded Panarin primarily to a.) get Toews going again (mistake) b.) cost control thinking the cap wouldn't be nearly 82-85m by the time Panarin is a UFA, they could have re-signed him with their current cap structure.

Can't complain too much because 3 cups, but it's been a frustrating time to be a Hawks fan and see them make some really bad decisions. Having to trade Teravainen to rid themselves of the Bickell contract is another. And trading Danault and a 2nd for Dale Weise/Tomas Fleishman, Kempny for a 3rd, Daley for Scuderi, etc, etc. No surprise the Hawks are a lottery pick at this point. They have no vision for the team it seems. Saad and Murphy are going to be on the block imo, and that's just a bad look for the FO that brought these guys in just a year ago in some very big deals trading two core pieces.

Edit: Quoted wrong post, in response to Hawks should have kept Panarin.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Personally I wouldn’t do the deal. I don’t want Darling back. Also, both Faulk and Saad had down years. Both teams banking on the guy they acquire having a better year next season obviously. Doesn’t always happen that way and I can see one team being very disappointed.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I don't see why we'd want Faulk, especially at the cost of trading Saad.

Sure, he's a good player and our defense needs some help, but he's not a huge upgrade over either of Rutta or Murphy, and our two best prospects (Jokiharju and Mitchell) are RHDs that could get some games in for the 18-19 season (Joker could steal a spot out of camp, Mitchell could get a few games after his college season is over).

I'd rather we just tried to sign one of Moore or De Haan in free agency and hope that Forsling, Rutta, and Murphy continue to improve. And Moore is from the area and in a summer hockey league here (where he'll play with and against a number of Hawks including Kane), so it shouldn't be too hard to sign him if we wanted. And we actually have the cap space to sign someone like that this time.

Saad never was good on the PP. He historically put up great numbers even strength, so it wasn't a big deal when we reacquired him. For the two seasons he was in Columbus, versus the 2 season Bread was with us, they had very comparable even strength point totals. The difference was supposed to be on the PP. And he's just not built for the man advantage.

But instead of keeping him off of it, Q decided to run with him on one of our units for the entire season. Not to say that Saad was all that much worse than anyone else on the PP this season. We really, really sucked at it. Like bad enough where we joke about not accepting the PP levels of bad.

I agree the Hawks shouldn't be targeting Faulk (Hanifin oh course yes) the Hawks need defensively responsible D to help keep the puck out of the net not another offensive minded Dman. Moore or DeHaan are good targets.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree the Hawks shouldn't be targeting Faulk (Hanifin oh course yes) the Hawks need defensively responsible D to help keep the puck out of the net not another offensive minded Dman. Moore or DeHaan are good targets.

If you think the Hawks shouldn't be targeting Faulk (which is an understandable position to have) and should be targeting a defensively responsible D, then why would you think they should of course target Hanifin? He's no better than Faulk defensively right now.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'd do Faulk for Saad straight up. Both are solid players who had an off year but almost certainly will rebound so the value is even.

But, I'm really leery of getting like every other player on the team from the Blackhawks. That has not been a winning strategy the past couple of years.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
If you think the Hawks shouldn't be targeting Faulk (which is an understandable position to have) and should be targeting a defensively responsible D, then why would you think they should of course target Hanifin? He's no better than Faulk defensively right now.

I don't watch the Canes myself but keep hearing that Hanifin is the complete package, still very young and should only get better whereas Faulk is what he is. The Hawks should really be targeting defensive Dmen though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't watch the Canes myself but keep hearing that Hanifin is the complete package, still very young and should only get better whereas Faulk is what he is. The Hawks should really be targeting defensive Dmen though.

Fair enough. Long term, I think that may end up being true for Hanifin, but right now, he isn't any better than Faulk defensively.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
A 15 goal caliber #3/#4 OFD. He had a down year offensively, but that was driven by a shooting percentage that was a little better than half of his prior three-year average. That should bounce back next season and his production will follow.

Faulk has upside in a more conservative system, imo. Decision making with the puck is an issue at times as it is for players of that ilk, but finding himself out of position because of overaggressiveness has been a driver of his struggles. I’m not well versed enough about the Hawks to comment on that particular fit. A kick in the pants might do him good anyway, as it did for E. Staal. It wasn't too long ago that he was at a #1 level. He's only 25; it's not an issue of aging.

Not totally true . Faulk's number have dropped 3 years straight . I hope Chicago gets him as he gets light up like a christmas tree in the D zone . Only can help the Oilers having him in the west on another team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad