GDT: Carolina @ New York Islanders - Game 1

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
Let's pump the brakes a touch. I'd very much buy a theory that RBA outcoached Trotz, but the diffrences in coaches are spelled out in 1-in-a-hundred units. Even if RBA was the better coach and helped his road team actually be a sports-book-defying 52-48 favorite, our team still expected to win 52% of a game yet won 100% of a game. Many variables made it go our way. Mr. Azek's great saves, the referee dice rolls working out our way (HOLY **** they admitted they blew a call AND RECTIFIED IT when a Canes player was gushing out his jugular), etc.

The best math model in the industry has "Canes in 6" right now. I'm fine with that :)
There is always randomness involved but I know the Caps strategies and it’s the same as last season. Reirden uses the same x’s and o’s. I don’t care about models and probability—I’m strictly talking about being outcoached. Trotz is the better coach but if he doesn’t adjust his plans it’s over. RBA as you call him, knows what they are doing. It’s even obvious to casual fans. And the Islanders are not skilled enough to even score a goal using it. The Caps got shutout once too. About the missed call— the Canes we’re guilty of the same thing but it was never rectified. Didn’t change the outcome but it also had no consequence in this game.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Road wins in game 1 are goooooood

5uy.gif

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
There is always randomness involved but I know the Caps strategies and it’s the same as last season. Reirden uses the same x’s and o’s. I don’t care about models and probability—I’m strictly talking about being outcoached. Trotz is the better coach but if he doesn’t adjust his plans it’s over. RBA as you call him, knows what they are doing. It’s even obvious to casual fans. And the Islanders are not skilled enough to even score a goal using it. The Caps got shutout once too. About the missed call— the Canes we’re guilty of the same thing but it was never rectified. Didn’t change the outcome but it also had no consequence in this game.

Having read your post, I actually think we agree on the salient points. I LOVED RBA as a player. True story, as a young man MANY years and years ago playing in a "math simulation keeper league" RBA was one of my prized rookie draft picks.. back in a time when Mark Howe was a veteran D man and RBA was a hotshot rookie on my D corps :P so I know he knows the game and I have known for decades that he absolutely has all the hockey chops -- pragma and dogma!

All I would argue is that RBA's edge over Trotz, in a very large statistical sample, is measured in pennies instead of shillings.

The Canes were, in my opinion, the slightly better team despite being road dogs. That should be amazing. PLUS, in addition to being theoretical betters, we also won the die roll. That should ALSO be worth celebrating.

All I want to do is stop anyone from imagining a coaching gamut from 1 to 100 where RBA is 100 and Trotz is 1. 55-45 at worst, IMO.

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
in case this week hasn't been weird enough lol

Love it!

I love this. I think some classy teams should support one another and have no issues of see great talent with hard work..

You can have all the skill in the world, However, Skill with hard work to be better with letting it and being unselfish to be one with your team gets your far. Excuse . Prime Player: Sidney Crosby is that example and plus many more..

Staal And William is like that.. He know he can do more be a leader..

Aho and Warren have that . Hamilton too. He took the time to be better within the the team after struggling and putting pressure on himself try to fitting.. I remember he was struggling a little bit..

Talent / Skill gotta shine with hard work and doing what it takes.. With Coach believe and know when to get everything out you. Good or bad.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

The Isles would've scored several goals tonight but Mrazek stood on his head. This one hurts but it was still one of the greatest games I have ever seen. 2 things about the Canes: the first is they are incredible on the boards and in sealing them on clearing attempts. The other is that they are excellent at the technique of flipping pop up grenades into the opposing zone which is such a dangerous thing for the defending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad