TSN: Carolina interested in Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Obviously my sarcasm was lost on you. I’ll explain... Toronto trade threads tend to attract Leaf fans that wildly overvalue their player’s actual worth. It’s not a flaw solely limited to Leaf fandom, but the plethora of Leaf fans make it seem more prevalent than it would for other team’s fan bases.

Let’s say 5% of fans overvalue their players. Since Carolina only has 20 fans, that means there is one pesky Carolina fan overrating the value of their players. Not really a noticeable issue. It’s almost cute.

But when there over 9000 fans, the noise is a little harder to tune out. The bad apples truly spoil the bunch.

Joking aside, Aho is absolutely a franchise player for Carolina. He may not fit YOUR definition of what a franchise player is, but Dundon loves the guy, has called him absolutely untouchable, and will be making the kid one of the highest paid players in the game with the intent of building around him. To me, that’s the very definition of a franchise player whether you agree or not.
Not lost at all. Your sarcasm was misplaced because it had no relevance to the argument. The rest of your long winded statement is just drivel. Yeah Dundon loves him. That great bastion of hockey knowledge. That’s why he’s a franchise player, because a know nothing owner who thinks he’s hockey’s version of Mark Cuban declares him untouchable!

Is that your reasoning?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Not lost at all. Your sarcasm was misplaced because it had no relevance to the argument.

There’s no argument. I’m telling you why Leaf fans get a bad reputation... the constant overvaluing of Leaf players. It’s a joke. Kapanen for Slavin. Puh-lease. That is ridiculous and you know it (even if you didn’t say it).

The rest of your long winded statement is just drivel. Yeah Dundon loves him. That great bastion of hockey knowledge. That’s why he’s a franchise player, because a know nothing owner who thinks he’s hockey’s version of Mark Cuban declares him untouchable!

Is that your reasoning?

For someone with such strong opinions, you really are truly clueless as to what is going on down here. Let me correct some of your misconceptions. Dundon has straight up admitted that he is learning on the job. He makes no claims to be a hockey expert. He is vocal and wants to ice a product that fans want to come see because he is not only the owner, but also a fan. Although he is vocal, he is not meddling. All decisions are made via a committee approach.

As to the franchise player debate...

DEFINITION: In professional sports, a franchise player is an athlete who is both the best player on their team and one that the team can build their "franchise" around for the foreseeable future.

I am not saying Aho is “generational.” That would be a very homer-ish comment. But Aho is absolutely our best player and Dundon is going to build around him. Aho is the very definition of a franchise player for the Canes. You don’t have to agree (you won’t) and you don’t have to like it (you don’t). END OF STORY.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't love Faulk but I could see the Leafs trying to get him with some picks at the deadline.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well....i see this thread hass gone deeper into the sewer.....carry on.

When's the last time 20 point player has been hyped like this?

Ellis/Parayko/Pesce, Kaps should be in the talks for them all.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
why would you even bother saying this? do you think anyone thinks you actually know which of these guys is a better PKer than the other?

At least with kappy, we have some objective evidence that he's pretty great on the PK. There's 4 leafs forwards that get significant PK time - Hyman, Brown, Lindholm, Kapanen. Now Kappy is generally on the 2nd PK unit, but there's not a huge difference between the two units in general, and Kappy's defensive numbers on the PK are easily the best:

zone/score adjusted:

Kappy: 42.9ca/60, 1.97xga/60, 1.72ga/60
Brown: 52.7ca/60, 2.44xga/60, 2.47ga/60
Hyman: 57.7ca/60, 2.51xga/60, 2.55ga/60
Lindholm: 53.4ca/60, 2.73xga/60, 3.97ga/60

no adjustments:

Kappy: 84.5ca/60, 5.70xga/60, 4.83ga/60
Brown: 105.6ca/60, 6.96xga/60, 7.04ga/60
Hyman: 120.8ca/60, 7.43xga/60, 7.71ga/60
Lindholm: 107.5ca/60, 7.85xga/60, 11.26ga/60

Now we can only learn so much from PK stats, but Kappy is such a big jump up from the others that it's hard to ignore - especially since his main PK partner Lindholm is easily he worst of the 4.

And looking back the previous year's numbers seem to tell a similar story.

The objective evidence suggests Kappy is a pretty terrific PKer.

Why do you have to make stuff up to try and make Kapanen look worse?
Your pace arguments are always so easy to skip over. A week ago Kapanen was on a 31 goal scorer, today he is a 28 goal scorer on pace and probably even lower than that when we hit 82 games.

Problem with your pace arguments, they are not a substitute for actual production.

As I said at the time, Kapanen's production was bound to drop because unless you are a Laine or Boeser caliber shooter. Player's do not sustain 19% shooting percentages over a 82 game schedule.

You do not charts on pace to know this or what Kapanen truly is. Or not until he can actually prove it over a 82 game sample in season.

Reactions: Snowman

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
When's the last time 20 point player has been hyped like this?

Ellis/Parayko/Pesce, Kaps should be in the talks for them all.

I dunno, probably when Petterson started beating Matthews in the polls just 5 games into his NHL career? Judging by your pithy comments over the last 5 pages of this thread or so, you really have an issue with Kapanen being called a... first line winger? I mean, okay, if that's outrageous overhype then I guess we're all just nutty over in Leafland. Forgive us for thinking that 55 point play, with no PP time, is a good hockey player who might get better. There have been more than enough sensible comments about Kapanen's realistic current projection and upside, but you've substituted that reality for your own and have like 5 posts now mocking him for being an overhyped franchise player.

Then you put Pesce on the same level as Ellis or Parayko. BRUH.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Your pace arguments are always so easy to skip over. A week ago Kapanen was on a 31 goal scorer, today he is a 28 goal scorer on pace and probably even lower than that when we hit 82 games.

Problem with your pace arguments, they are not a substitute for actual production.

As I said at the time, Kapanen's production was bound to drop because unless you are a Laine or Boeser caliber shooter. Player's do not sustain 19% shooting percentages over a 82 game schedule.

You do not charts on pace to know this or what Kapanen truly is. Or not until he can actually prove it over a 82 game sample in season.

1. um...there's no pace stats there. no scoring stats even.

2.how has ignoring the stats been working out for you?

Reactions: al secord

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
...Ellis/Parayko/Pesce...
tenor.gif

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
It doesn’t because they are not. I moved no goal posts. Read the original post and try a little comprehension. And Aho does not have more goals. It’s simple math.
Ok here's your original post...

TT has done nothing away from Aho. Kapanen has his advanced defensive game, plays well on a line with Kadri and would instantly be your fastest player, highest goal scorer and best penalty killing forward. TT, not so much.
Aho and KK both have 12 goals, but Aho's have been scored in fewer games. Aho will also score more goals than KK over time too, as I pointed out.

You stated KK would be the best penalty killer for the Canes, and then backpedaled when you realized you overlooked Staal. Then lamely tried to make the distinction that he's a center. That's a classic case of moving the goal posts. Let me know if you need further assistance?

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Amazing how potentially interesting threads can get derailed by bickering.

The premise here is good, as the teams make great trade partners by having excess in positions that the other teams need.

Kappy is one of the fastest skaters in the league. Plays the PK and on most teams would be on their 1st PP. He has shown he can be a finisher with an elite centerman, which Aho undeniably is. Next contract probably around 4.5 mill/season. Similar to Pesce.

Pesce makes the most sense here, Faulk second. The question here should be: if a solid, young D on a cost controlled contract is worth more than a winger of similar pedigree, how much would the Leafs need to add? Would Bracco be that type of add ?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
2 things...and with all seriousness...

1. Kap would just be one piece in a deal. He doesn't land a top pair D 1 for 1.

2. Pesce isn't in the same tier as Ellis or Parayko.

He's not the main piece for Ellis/Parayko, he would be the add on a trade like that.

2) Haven't said Pesce is worth the same as the other 2.

I dunno, probably when Petterson started beating Matthews in the polls just 5 games into his NHL career? Judging by your pithy comments over the last 5 pages of this thread or so, you really have an issue with Kapanen being called a... first line winger? I mean, okay, if that's outrageous overhype then I guess we're all just nutty over in Leafland. Forgive us for thinking that 55 point play, with no PP time, is a good hockey player who might get better. There have been more than enough sensible comments about Kapanen's realistic current projection and upside, but you've substituted that reality for your own and have like 5 posts now mocking him for being an overhyped franchise player.

Then you put Pesce on the same level as Ellis or Parayko. BRUH.

He's atleast on his +2 season and broke records on his +1 season.
It's still way too early to say he's better than Matthews after 5 games, it's all potential at that point of time.

I have an issue with his value around HF by some Leafs fans, 20 points at 22y doesn't suddenly get you into 1st pair D-men talks, who are signed longterm.
That's just nonsense.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Then if we are building around Kappy for Pesce, what would you consider to be an appropriate add?

The problem is Carolina needs a real high end forward addition, Kapanen just isn't that, he's not a game changer.

If they trade Pesce for Kapanen+ who are they then trading for that high end forward?

Reactions: MinJaBen

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The problem is Carolina needs a real high end forward addition, Kapanen just isn't that, he's not a game changer.

If they trade Pesce for Kapanen+ who are they then trading for that high end forward?
Do you know who else isnt a game changer? The answer may shock you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad