TSN: Carolina interested in Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
That's only true if you're not considering the asset's future. Being a Canes fan, you obviously realize there's a ceiling people are hoping for in Hanifin that is much higher than what Pesce provides. He was drafted 5th overall in a stacked draft for a reason. And if you're comparing the two players this season, I'm not sure you can make the argument for Pesce even today. Last season Pesce was obviously the better player, but Hanifin has taken huge strides this season. He's facing much tougher competition and his advanced stats are great. Plus he's still only 21 so it's only going to get better. I'm guessing if you created a going forward poll on Hanifin vs Pesce, you would not like the results.

Pesce and Hanifin entered the league in the exact same year and are 2 years apart in age. Interesting mindset to consider one peaked and one with vast future potential.

Reactions: colchar

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I've watched Hanifin, he's still making mistakes like he made last year. The team is doing amazing, of course his fancy stats are good. He's also playing with a very good partner. He's incrementally better than he was last year, as most players are as they develop through their early 20's. He hasn't taken "huge strides".

An hf poll? seriously? What does that prove outside of shiny new toy biases?

Hanifin isn't just a shiny new toy. He's a 21 year old star D in the making. What does a poll prove? I think you know the answer to that. It gives people a little outside perspective on how other fanbases view players. Being a fan of one team you naturally overvalue your own players even if you try to be objective about it. I just don't think the masses would agree that Pesce is the more valuable asset moving forward.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
how does a team desperate for offense give away lindholm and skinner...both would look mighty fine on the canes right now
I mean, that was just horrible luck. I doubt many people would have called both of those guys having such break-out seasons.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Pesce and Hanifin entered the league in the exact same year and are 2 years apart. Interesting mindset to consider one peaked and one with vast future potential.

Except one player is 24 and the other is 21. Seems obvious I know, but do I really need to explain how age, potential and development go hand in hand when dealing with young players?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
For you:
Noah Hanifin is a premium asset at $4.95 million x 6 years
Brett Pesce isn't a premium asset at $4 million x 6 years

Brett Pesce is a significantly better asset than Noah Hanifin. He is a better player on a cheaper deal right now. Are you forgetting that Canes fans actually watched both of these guys for years?

Pesce and Hanifin entered the league in the exact same year and are 2 years apart in age. Interesting mindset to consider one peaked and one with vast future potential.
One is 21 years old (turning 22 in a month), was drafted 5th overall and is coming off a 32 point season and currently has 15 points in 35 games, the other is 24 years old, a former 3rd rounder, had 19 points last season and currently has 7 points in 23 games.

Hanafin is younger, was the more highly regarded prospect and has produced substantially more offense with solid underlying numbers... and his contract is only 950k more. Yes he is way more valuable then Pesce, and as a Leafs fan (playing Armchair GM) right now, I can tell you that I would be willing to offer Calgary way more for Hanifin then I would offer Carolina for Pesce.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Except one player is 24 and the other is 21. Seems obvious I know, but do I really need to explain how age, potential and development go hand in hand when dealing with young players?

They are 2 years and a couple months apart. Pesce rose through the ranks as a 3rd round pick to develop into what he is. Hanifin has walked into his role being a top prospect his entire life.

I’ve only watched hundreds of games that Pesce and Hanifin have played on the same team under the same circumstances with the same Pro experience. What would I know about their development?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
clearly.

correct.

Yet, you used hypothetical shooting percentage without any reservations.

It is easy to understand. So easy, in fact, that everyone agrees with it. Everybody knows his shooting percentage is unlikely to stay at 17.6%, and that he would lose a few goals and points with a more normal shooting percentage. Everyone agrees.

Also just as easy to understand is that pretending that Kappy wouldn't score more points with regular PP time is obviously childish.
I know a person's lost an argument when all they can come back with is what if Kapanen got regular PP mins. What if suggests a player has not achieved in real situations. I prefer to look at Kapanen's 19:57 TOI PP this year. How many PP points does he have? But if you want to make what if a fact here, I am sure Pesce could score more pts if he had more PP mins himself. No one carries much weight in what if scenarios. Because they are not facts. They are what ifs. Maybe or more likely maybe nots to adults.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
One is 21 years old (turning 22 in a month), was drafted 5th overall and is coming off a 32 point season and currently has 15 points in 35 games, the other is 24 years old, a former 3rd rounder, had 19 points last season and currently has 7 points in 23 games.

Hanafin is younger, was the more highly regarded prospect and has produced substantially more offense with solid underlying numbers... and his contract is only 950k more. Yes he is way more valuable then Pesce, and as a Leafs fan (playing Armchair GM) right now, I can tell you that I would be willing to offer Calgary way more for Hanifin then I would offer Carolina for Pesce.

That’s one opinion.

I doubt you’d find one Canes fan that would swap Pesce for Hanifin straight up. But what do we know, we just watched the two of them play on the same defense for 200+ games.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
They are 2 years and a couple months apart. Pesce rose through the ranks as a 3rd round pick to develop into what he is. Hanifin has walked into his role being a top prospect his entire life.

I’ve only watched hundreds of games that Pesce and Hanifin have played on the same team under the same circumstances with the same Pro experience. What would I know about their development?

I'm not saying Pesce isn't a good defenseman or that he's peaked. But come on, you know how development typically works. Of course the odds are Hanifin is going to end up being the better player going forward, if he's not already there now. Two years and a couple months age difference when dealing with 20 year old kids is massive.

Reactions: NoName

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
That’s one opinion.

I doubt you’d find one Canes fan that would swap Pesce for Hanifin straight up. But what do we know, we just watched the two of them play on the same defense for 200+ games.
I would be very surprised if many people taking an unbiased view of the situation would choose Pesce over Hanifin 1-for-1; the stats, player ages and reputations all seem to paint a clear picture but you are entitled to your opinion. However, fair warning is that most other people on HFboard will not be willing to extend a similar sort of trade offer for Pesce that they would have for Hanifin.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm not sure if the bolded is completely true. They're not exactly sitting in a good spot in the standings right now. They're dead last in the conference in goals scored and need forwards who can score. With the amount of depth on D they have of course there's motivation to trade a player like Pesce for a forward who can help their offensive struggles. We can debate about whether Kappy is the right starting point or not, but I'm just saying the motivation should definitely be there from management to make a move. I don't think this season is lost for them yet.

I used should for a reason.

Carolina needs and wants a forward. That's obvious. Pesce is available for something less than a gross overpay right now. However, the motivation to move him for an underpay shouldn't exist. Carolina's short-term need for a forward should not bleed into long-term decision making.

Pesce is best asset in the deal in a trade for Kapanen. Therefore, Pesce shouldn't be traded for Kapanen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hanifin isn't just a shiny new toy. He's a 21 year old star D in the making. What does a poll prove? I think you know the answer to that. It gives people a little outside perspective on how other fanbases view players. Being a fan of one team you naturally overvalue your own players even if you try to be objective about it. I just don't think the masses would agree that Pesce is the more valuable asset moving forward.
You seem to think I'm not a fan of Hanifin. I am? He's just as "valuable" to me on your team as mine. I didn't want him traded. This comical concept Flames fans have that as soon as these two put on orange jerseys they became 25-50% better is so over the top as you say "overvaluing your own players" it's ridiculous. Way more than Canes fans, Flames fans can't just say we traded good players for good players - yours have to be amazing and so much more than uneducated Canes fans could conceive.

I didn't reply to the concept of trade value, I was replying to you telling us how much more amazing Hanifin is now. He's pretty much the same dude, playing for a much better team. He's a little more experienced and a little stronger, that's it. My poll comment was about how ridiculous the concept of a poll on hf meaning something is.

I could care less about arguing Pesce's value, I was done halfway through the Nylander topic on that subject.

ps wow.....did you really create a poll? :rolleyes:

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
I'm not saying Pesce isn't a good defenseman or that he's peaked. But come on, you know how development typically works. Of course the odds are Hanifin is going to end up being the better player going forward, if he's not already there now. Two years and a couple months age difference when dealing with 20 year old kids is massive.

Hanifin got better when he started playing with an offense that can score and a defensive partner that isn't TVR or Faulk. Isn't it funny how moving from a team that has below average scoring to a team with above average scoring can affect stats?

His skating is still his best skill mixed in with some silky mitts and a decent shot but nothing crazy, but his defense isn't anything to write home about.

Dunno how this Hanifin to Pesce comparable started in a thread about Kapanen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I know a person's lost an argument when all they can come back with is what if Kapanen got regular PP mins.

no you don't.

What if suggests a player has not achieved in real situations.

No it doesn't.

As pointed out already, even adjusting down to normal shooting percentage, he's still produced at a 20gl/45pt clip at even strength, which is 1st line production.

I prefer to look at Kapanen's 19:57 TOI PP this year. How many PP points does he have? But if you want to make what if a fact here, I am sure Pesce could score more pts if he had more PP mins himself. No one carries much weight in what if scenarios. Because they are not facts. They are what ifs. Maybe or more likely maybe nots to adults.

again, your entire shooting percentage argument is a what if scenario.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I used should for a reason.

Carolina needs and wants a forward. That's obvious. Pesce is available for something less than a gross overpay right now. However, the motivation to move him for an underpay shouldn't exist. Carolina's short-term need for a forward should not bleed into long-term decision making.

Pesce is best asset in the deal in a trade for Kapanen. Therefore, Pesce shouldn't be traded for Kapanen

Why are either of the bolded statements true? I realize nobody on these forums is ever on board when their team isn't the team getting the best player in a deal, but that's just not how it works in real life. One team always gives up the better player. Of course the possibility exists that Carolina would trade Pesce for a lesser forward + another asset.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
You seem to think I'm not a fan of Hanifin. I am? He's just as "valuable" to me on your team as mine. I didn't want him traded. This comical concept Flames fans have that as soon as these two put on orange jerseys they became 25-50% better is so over the top as you say "overvaluing your own players" it's ridiculous. Way more than Canes fans, Flames fans can't just say we traded good players for good players - yours have to be amazing and so much more than uneducated Canes fans could conceive.

I didn't reply to the concept of trade value, I was replying to you telling us how much more amazing Hanifin is now. He's pretty much the same dude, playing for a much better team. He's a little more experienced and a little stronger, that's it. My poll comment was about how ridiculous the concept of a poll on hf meaning something is.

I could care less about arguing Pesce's value, I was done halfway through the Nylander topic on that subject.

ps wow.....did you really create a poll? :rolleyes:

The bolded is not true. Look at Hanifin's quality of competition this year compared to last year. He's facing significantly tougher competition this year and his numbers haven't dropped a bit. What that usually spells is a big improvement in my books. Normally when you start giving a player tougher competition, everything else goes down as a result which isn't happening with him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The bolded is not true. Look at Hanifin's quality of competition this year compared to last year. He's facing significantly tougher competition this year and his numbers haven't dropped a bit. What that usually spells is a big improvement in my books. Normally when you start giving a player tougher competition, everything else goes down as a result which isn't happening with him.
Stop man. I watch your games. He is what you bolded in my post. Fancy stat it anyway you like. Using last years Canes stats for a defenseman.....cmon. They had no rhyme or reason the entire season, Faulk and Hanifin didn't work and Peter's spent the whole year trying find anything that made sense past Pesce and Slavin. And failed. That's not Hanifin's improvement, that's him being saved from the Canes and placed on a good team with a very good partner. Last years usage had as much to do with Faulk as it did Hanifin.

Reactions: CheMxDawG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad