TSN: Carolina interested in Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Hoping to see that translate then the rest of the way.

Us too. His utilization at the start of the season was puzzling. We all sort of hoped he'd be put on the top lines to "sink or swim." HCRBA was very patient, and the results are starting to show. He looks like he is going to be special.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Us too. His utilization at the start of the season was puzzling. We all sort of hoped he'd be put on the top lines to "sink or swim." HCRBA was very patient, and the results are starting to show. He looks like he is going to be special.
Him and Aho are the start but I still think the Canes need another young forward at least to round out the core. Aho, Svech, Hughes/Kakko is enough fire power up front if they reach their potential. All you need after that is depth which the Canes are full of.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Him and Aho are the start but I still think the Canes need another young forward at least to round out the core. Aho, Svech, Hughes/Kakko is enough fire power up front if they reach their potential. All you need after that is depth which the Canes are full of.

Don't forget Martin Necas. He's a top 6 center that's really close to joining the big club. He's currently killing it in the AHL.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
why would you even bother saying this? do you think anyone thinks you actually know which of these guys is a better PKer than the other?

At least with kappy, we have some objective evidence that he's pretty great on the PK. There's 4 leafs forwards that get significant PK time - Hyman, Brown, Lindholm, Kapanen. Now Kappy is generally on the 2nd PK unit, but there's not a huge difference between the two units in general, and Kappy's defensive numbers on the PK are easily the best:

zone/score adjusted:

Kappy: 42.9ca/60, 1.97xga/60, 1.72ga/60
Brown: 52.7ca/60, 2.44xga/60, 2.47ga/60
Hyman: 57.7ca/60, 2.51xga/60, 2.55ga/60
Lindholm: 53.4ca/60, 2.73xga/60, 3.97ga/60

no adjustments:

Kappy: 84.5ca/60, 5.70xga/60, 4.83ga/60
Brown: 105.6ca/60, 6.96xga/60, 7.04ga/60
Hyman: 120.8ca/60, 7.43xga/60, 7.71ga/60
Lindholm: 107.5ca/60, 7.85xga/60, 11.26ga/60

Now we can only learn so much from PK stats, but Kappy is such a big jump up from the others that it's hard to ignore - especially since his main PK partner Lindholm is easily he worst of the 4.

And looking back the previous year's numbers seem to tell a similar story.

The objective evidence suggests Kappy is a pretty terrific PKer.

Why do you have to make stuff up to try and make Kapanen look worse?
Having watched all of them and taking into account their respective roles vs. Kapanen's, yes I know what I'm talking about. You again rely solely on stats. More importantly, where did I say Kap was bad? Oh yeah...I didn't, just that the others are better. They are classic defensive PKers while Kapanen is a bit of hybrid, wherein Babcock is trying to use his speed and counter-attacking ability.

Do yourself a favor and watch the players instead of immediately going to stats without the benefit of context.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Don't forget Martin Necas. He's a top 6 center that's really close to joining the big club. He's currently killing it in the AHL.
Meh tbh I need to see him do something at the NHL level before considering him. It was a small sample size this year but I didn't really like what I saw. If he improved and it shows, great, I just want to see it before pinning any hopes on him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Having watched all of them and taking into account their respective roles vs. Kapanen's, yes I know what I'm talking about. You again rely solely on stats. More importantly, where did I say Kap was bad? Oh yeah...I didn't, just that the others are better. They are classic defensive PKers while Kapanen is a bit of hybrid, wherein Babcock is trying to use his speed and counter-attacking ability.

Do yourself a favor and watch the players instead of immediately going to stats without the benefit of context.

Do you really think anyone here believes that you have both watched enough of all of these players on the PK, and know enough to evaluate while watching them on the PK, to say this with any kind of authority?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Do you really think anyone here believes that you have both watched enough of all of these players on the PK, and know enough to evaluate while watching them on the PK, to say this with any kind of authority?
I don't care what you believe but it's telling you can't even begin to refute what I wrote. You and I both know, what i wrote is true. Well at least you do for Kapanen and it's definitely true of the Canes players.

Stick to your stats-only view and let us know if you need some insights based on their play on ice.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't care what you believe but it's telling you can't even begin to refute what I wrote. You and I both know, what i wrote is true. Well at least you do for Kapanen and it's definitely true of the Canes players.

Stick to your stats-only view and let us know if you need some insights based on their play on ice.
He did refute it by bringing actual evidence into the mix. It's weird how you dont understand why nobody is interested in taking your opinions as fact

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't care what you believe but it's telling you can't even begin to refute what I wrote.

can't refute what you wrote?

that's easy: "I have watched all of them and kappy is clearly miles better than any of them on the PK"

you are hereby refuted!

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
He did refute it by bringing actual evidence into the mix. It's weird how you dont understand why nobody is interested in taking your opinions as fact
You might want to re-read his point of contention because he changed the argument in his response. Where did I ever state KK was a bad PKer? I didn't but he first claimed KK would be the best killer on the Canes and then downgraded when he realized he overlooked Staal. I then pointed out three Canes killers who are all better PKers for the Canes than KK would.

Actual evidence indeed. You guys are so thin-skinned about perceived player slights even when there wasn't one. Funny and sad all at the same time.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
can't refute what you wrote?

that's easy: "I have watched all of them and kappy is clearly miles better than any of them on the PK"

you are hereby refuted!
You only compared KK against other Leafs players so you abjectly failed yet again.

Why don't you give me a scouting report on how the three Canes killers play? No? Of course you can't. THAT is the difference in that I can compare them to KK and you can't. You really are just tilting at windmills.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You only compared KK against other Leafs players so you abjectly failed yet again.

Why don't you give me a scouting report on how the three Canes killers play? No? Of course you can't. THAT is the difference in that I can compare them to KK and you can't. You really are just tilting at windmills.

the three canes killers play smart positional PK, with nice active sticks in the lanes, and hard on the puck carrier when they have a chance to be aggressive.

scouting report done.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

He brings facts and stats, you bring opinion and pass it off as fact, there's a reason nobody needs to reply to your post.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
the three canes killers play smart positional PK, with nice active sticks in the lanes, and hard on the puck carrier when they have a chance to be aggressive.

scouting report done.
Congrats. You are now simply mocking yourself. Well done. At this point it's clear you can't make the comparison to how and where KK would rank among the Canes killers. Watch some games and give it another whirl, ok?

He brings facts and stats, you bring opinion and pass it off as fact, there's a reason nobody needs to reply to your post.
Yet here you are replying. Plus you are wrong. Nice combo move. He brought a stats comparison of only Leaf killers. The original point was how KK compared to Canes killers.

Let that sink in a while. Unreal how even the whiff of criticism about a Leaf player brings the fan boys out in droves.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Congrats. You are now simply mocking yourself. Well done. At this point it's clear you can't make the comparison to how and where KK would rank among the Canes killers. Watch some games and give it another whirl, ok?

Nope. Still mocking you.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
The point was centers carrying wingers so you're still off base. Yes, Aho will score more goals than Kapanen, why the confusion? Funny too how now you've moved the goal posts on the Canes PK. Just not far enough. McGinn, Foegle and Martinook (heard of any of them?) are all better PKers than KK.

Hope that helps. o_O
It doesn’t because they are not. I moved no goal posts. Read the original post and try a little comprehension. And Aho does not have more goals. It’s simple math.

Last edited:

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Can you teach me your amazing divination techniques? I can barely figure out what my wife is thinking, yet you can speak for EVERY NHL GM. You’ve got mad skills bro!
Not mad skills. One is just better than the other. Period.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
It really does. We’re much better off today than we’ve been at any point this decade. Our farm team is #1 in the AHL and is stacked with young talent. We’ve got two franchise players in Aho and Svech, and a defense that most teams would kill for (hence the gajillion offers we see here everyday). Efforts to address the goalie situation have failed miserably (thanks Darling!), but I am certain they will try again next offseason to fix it. Finally, we have a new owner that is passionate about winning and stated he is willing to spend (just not for the sake of spending).

Although the games can sometimes be difficult to watch, we’re pretty psyched about the future.
While good players, that is a pretty loose definition of franchise player...

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
Where did I call him a franchise player? We have 3, would be an embarrassment of riches to have 4 wouldn’t it?

Obviously my sarcasm was lost on you. I’ll explain... Toronto trade threads tend to attract Leaf fans that wildly overvalue their player’s actual worth. It’s not a flaw solely limited to Leaf fandom, but the plethora of Leaf fans make it seem more prevalent than it would for other team’s fan bases.

Let’s say 5% of fans overvalue their players. Since Carolina only has 20 fans, that means there is one pesky Carolina fan overrating the value of their players. Not really a noticeable issue. It’s almost cute.

But when there over 9000 fans, the noise is a little harder to tune out. The bad apples truly spoil the bunch.

Joking aside, Aho is absolutely a franchise player for Carolina. He may not fit YOUR definition of what a franchise player is, but Dundon loves the guy, has called him absolutely untouchable, and will be making the kid one of the highest paid players in the game with the intent of building around him. To me, that’s the very definition of a franchise player whether you agree or not.

Reactions: Primetime8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad