Carlyle fired, Murray to assume HC position

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Where did I say that? I merely said that the notion that difference between us drafting top 10 or not being Bob Murray being our HC is laughable.
The implication being that the team couldn’t get any better under Bob. Nobody ever said Bob is a good coach, only that changes like this can cause short term improvements. And with 26 games left it’s not unrealistic to think they could easily play themselves into a worse pick.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
We have every right to complain. We’ve seen this story before. Whether it’s knocked out of first round to barely not making the playoffs over the years. It happens every fricken year.

I’m done dude. At this point in time I just want to see Kings not get Jack Hughes and we win the lottery.

This team isn’t worth watching at the moment, just the standings.
while i agree with what you are saying, in your mind, is the only way this team can have a "good" season is for them to draft top 3?...because chances are colorado is going to get him and they could still make the PO's...while this is a wasted season for sure and many mistakes were made, as a ducks fan its really hard to play a long suffering fan...i mean look at the oilers.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No it's just very funny to me that the consensus prior today was he had to go at all costs and now that it's happened people are seemingly starting to think he should've stayed. The moral of the story is people like to complain.
I was all for keeping RC to complete the tank personally.

This seems like a pretty pointless attention calling move to me. I can't understand why this wasn't either done months ago or why they simply didn't wait until the offseason after securing a high draft pick.

The team quitting on RC was going to work in our favor

To me, this is probably the Samueli's wanting people to renew their season tickets, I hate to say it.

The last two years have been the weirdest sequence of events in franchise history for sure. You bring back a coach who you fired 5 years ago, then you progressively watch the team get worse under him, then you wait until the season is probably already over for us to fire him.

I can understand that this may be them admitting their mistakes and trying to make the best of it, but it feels like the league-wide embarrassment they have become forced this to happen. And it just doesn't solve anything.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

This seems like a pretty pointless attention calling move to me. I can't understand why this wasn't either done months ago or why they simply didn't wait until the offseason after securing a high draft pick.

To me, this is probably the Samueli's wanting people to renew their season tickets, I hate to say it.

I was too, I just don't care a whole lot either way, I knew he was gone after the season and that's really the more important part. A high pick would be really nice but I can't see myself ever getting too mad if they win some games, plus they could lose out and still pick 4th so there are no guarantees.

I think they did it because the national/international embarrassment just got to be too much. Well and that they just got home from the road trip but that pushes things back maybe a week or so at best.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I was too, I just don't care a whole lot either way, I knew he was gone after the season and that's really the more important part. A high pick would be really nice but I can't see myself ever getting too mad if they win some games, plus they could lose out and still pick 4th so there are no guarantees.

I think they did it because the national/international embarrassment just got to be too much. Well and that they just got home from the road trip but that pushes things back maybe a week or so at best.
The troubling part for me is that the team has been performing terribly all season. The process was trash even when they were winning. It's only the last month and a half that the results have gotten really bad.

The scary part is I now feel like decisions are being made solely on the basis of the win/loss record, with no regard for the real indicators of a contending hockey team.

The trash should have been emptied long before the results began to catch up to us.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The troubling part for me is that the team has been performing terribly all season. The process was trash even when they were winning. It's only the last month and a half that the results have gotten really bad.

The scary part is I now feel like decisions are being made solely on the basis of the win/loss record, with no regard for the real indicators of a contending hockey team.

The trash should have been emptied long before the results began to catch up to us.

I don't think it was wins and losses as much as it was how badly they lost during this stretch. If these games on the road trip were all close then I dont think anything would've happened, but to get embarrassed during a Canadian road trip is taking it to a different level. The honeymoon couple probably didnt help either lol.

Bob also seems very trusting, maybe to a fault. Hes trusted the group a bit in the past to figure things out and he said he was giving them time to do it again, but obviously everything has a limit. On the whole I guess I don't mind the deference, it's probably better than being a reactionary but ideally you'd like more of a middle ground.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
I don't think it was wins and losses as much as it was how badly they lost during this stretch. If these games on the road trip were all close then I dont think anything would've happened, but to get embarrassed during a Canadian road trip is taking it to a different level. The honeymoon couple probably didnt help either lol.

Bob also seems very trusting, maybe to a fault. Hes trusted the group a bit in the past to figure things out and he said he was giving them time to do it again, but obviously everything has a limit. On the whole I guess I don't mind the deference, it's probably better than being a reactionary but ideally you'd like more of a middle ground.
To be fair, there were several indicators of how this team couldn't perform. The San Jose series, the offseason, early into this season, the 12 game streak. These were all indicators of not just win/loss records but how this team wins or losses those games.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
No it's just very funny to me that the consensus prior today was he had to go at all costs and now that it's happened people are seemingly starting to think he should've stayed. The moral of the story is people like to complain.

the people wishing he stayed are concerned that something will change with murray on board and they'll start winning again

i highly doubt that will happen. this team just isn't very good outside of gibson and a couple others

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
I’m worried that bob will actually help win some games. I liked the path we were on as it was leading to the best pick possible

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
In our last game, the only non-goalie I saw that had fight in them throughout the game was Perry. I know he's not 100%, but wow, he was still instigating things and still trying to crash the net hard. Then I read the tweets from Murray and I agree that the team as a whole just didn't have fight. Put Grant and the two kids back together. At least they're hungry throughout the game.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
As long as Murray keeps doing his job as a GM, I'm fine with this until they find a real coach, likely for next season. Trade deadline is approaching and Bob better be selling. Also, it would be smart to reduce Getzlaf's playing time, sit Kesler for the rest of the season or convince him to retire etc. This season is lost and the best thing for this team is to sell at the deadline and get a high pick, preferably add more picks for this and the next draft.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Out of the interviews, Josh Manson sounds like a future captain. Cam not so much for me. Nothing wrong with his words but overall Josh sounds the way I'd like as a leader.
Josh Manson has alot of swagger. Getzlaf has swagger too. Cam not so much.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

The last two years have been the weirdest sequence of events in franchise history for sure. You bring back a coach who you fired 5 years ago, then you progressively watch the team get worse under him, then you wait until the season is probably already over for us to fire him.

I can understand that this may be them admitting their mistakes and trying to make the best of it, but it feels like the league-wide embarrassment they have become forced this to happen. And it just doesn't solve anything.
I’m 100% sure this is about season ticket holders. I don’t know any that weren’t telling their reps they were having doubts about re-upping, except for those that said they absolutely were not. And the team burned all its goodwill after saying RC would be held accountable last summer then stating it wasn’t his fault, then staying silent as the team proceeded to set team records for ineptitude. Nobody had any confidence we wouldn’t get the “RC deserves a chance with a healthy team” line again.

It was better for the tank to keep him, but the team needed to actually be open about things much earlier in the season if they wanted to do that.

Reactions: Duck Off

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Stephens mentioned some interesting names in the last athletic article beside Eakins. Quenneville, MacLellan, Dineen, Bowness and Gronborg. Pure speculation but quite interesting.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Stephens mentioned some interesting names in the last athletic article beside Eakins. Quenneville, MacLellan, Dineen, Bowness and Gronborg. Pure speculation but quite interesting.
Oh god MacLellan, i hope he doesn't even get offered an interview(only coach to lose 2 playoff series to Carlyle including the presidents trophy sharks in 09). He may employ a better system than Carlyle but his leadership/intangibles are worse than Carlyle.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I doubt Eakins is just handed the job. He will interview a number of candidates.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
2 months too late. As much as I want to buy into Murray "evaluating the team for the future" and not making a midseason change, this is likely about season ticket holders who threatened to cancel if they waited till the offseason.

Ducks are a rotten Kafelka fish right now.

I hope the ducks don't start playing well now just to fall short of a meaningful playoff run and lose out on a top 3 pick. I imagine the players realize they are playing for their jobs now so they are going to start putting an honest effort in again... enough so Bob doesn't trade them or ask them to move their NMCs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad