Carlyle fired, Murray to assume HC position

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Anyone that thought cam was captain material is out to lunch
I think he's intelligent, articulate, and isn't a guy to just throw in the towel. I don't find those qualities to be bad for a captain to have.

I also have a soft spot for the kid, but still...

Others prefer having someone that hits hard, scores a ton, or whatever, and calls that captain material. Not saying you're looking at those as main captain qualities, mind.

In seeing the short videos of BM on the ice, he's chatting and smiling with Cam. In another still, he's skating right next to Cam.

I'm going to assume something here, that like it or not, Cam is likely not going anywhere.

Now, to be honest, I do agree that his game has been very subpar. He also has seemed to get even less physical, and I agree that he needs to be more physical if he wants to have better success.

I also feel that with the entire team playing crappy, it's not just him. Montour, IMO, has looked just as bad, and some people are screaming for him not to be traded. Manson has made some very, very questionable plays, some awful passes and clears, etc. Lindholm, given more ice time and responsibility, wasn't able to really affect things.

So in the end, I think the team just needs to regroup. We might need some pieces moved, and a coaching change for next year, along with an influx of some of our AHL prospects, should push some things in the right direction. I think, when we stop being overly negative and reactive about everything, we know that all of our players have more potential than this. We've seen them all play significantly better, and it's not just an age thing that's killing that potential.

Reactions: 11Justin93

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Sorry, but Cam is a p***y, (and that's not just because he doesn't fight). That being said, I don't hate him as a player... just don't think he is anywhere close to C material.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Needs more swagger in his interviews. Lol.
I'll bite...

oM3PE6s.jpg

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
I still don’t understand why Murray was so quick to trash Bruce B, but let the leash was so far extended for Randy.

Come back Bruce! Make Ducks hockey entertaining again.

So quick to trash BB? he had a long leash here as well. Not sure where this is coming from. The endless playoff chokes?

Not as long as RC had this time around (but honestly i think this is due to not wanting ot pay 2 coaches)

But he had just as long of a leash as RC's first stint

Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
And it’s pure luck. You don’t trade muzzin for picks when you aren’t intentionally trying to rebuild.

You’ll see the catastrophe Murray puts us in June. Billboards all over the 405 freeway with the new star of Los Angeles Kings. Jack Hughes.

Jesus. I've hated this year, hockey wise, more than any other in years, but I think you're being a bit dramatic.

For one, the Kings are in a far different spot than we are. They don't have near as many young players who seem ready to make the jump like we do. Basically their rebuild is going to take a lot longer.

Second, I don't disagree with your fear about going from top 5 to top 10, but like @AngelDuck said; it's probably related to season ticket sales. I've got my own issues with Bob (have had them far longer than anyone else on here), but if your boss is on your back, you have to do something, even if you don't want to.

I don't think we'll go on a tear either. Improve? Probably, but go on a tear? I doubt it.

We have every right to complain. We’ve seen this story before. Whether it’s knocked out of first round to barely not making the playoffs over the years. It happens every fricken year.

I’m done dude. At this point in time I just want to see Kings not get Jack Hughes and we win the lottery.

This team isn’t worth watching at the moment, just the standings.

You're being over dramatic. I can't recall ever being in this scenario before (at least in the last decade).

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don’t really understand the issues with Cam here. He held himself just fine in that segment.

I don't think Cam is captain material. His apparent, complacency, proves that even more. That said, the microscope on him here does get overblown. I do agree with the common thought that Josh is much more captain material though.

I still don’t understand why Murray was so quick to trash Bruce B, but let the leash was so far extended for Randy.

Come back Bruce! Make Ducks hockey entertaining again.

Agreed; though I don't want Bruce back.

So quick to trash BB? he had a long leash here as well. Not sure where this is coming from. The endless playoff chokes?

Not as long as RC had this time around (but honestly i think this is due to not wanting ot pay 2 coaches)

But he had just as long of a leash as RC's first stint

See, I don't agree with this at all. I think Bruce's ability to get the team to play so well during the regular season masked some of the holes Murray left in those rosters. Now, does Bruce share some of the blame? Absolutely. However, I never thought any of those teams, aside from the one that lost to Chicago in WCF, was a cup "favorite". Look at the lineups for the other Bruce teams. There were multiple holes that maybe, if filled, could have been the difference. Not saying Bruce didn't choke, but he gets way too much of the blame IMO. Murray should share A LOT of that blame. Hell, the best roster Bruce had, Nate Thompson was our 3rd line center. I love Nate, but maybe a damn upgrade there at the deadline gets us past Chicago.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I don't think Cam is captain material. His apparent, complacency, proves that even more. That said, the microscope on him here does get overblown. I do agree with the common thought that Josh is much more captain material though.

See, I don't agree with this at all. I think Bruce's ability to get the team to play so well during the regular season masked some of the holes Murray left in those rosters. Now, does Bruce share some of the blame? Absolutely. However, I never thought any of those teams, aside from the one that lost to Chicago in WCF, was a cup "favorite". Look at the lineups for the other Bruce teams. There were multiple holes that maybe, if filled, could have been the difference. Not saying Bruce didn't choke, but he gets way too much of the blame IMO. Murray should share A LOT of that blame. Hell, the best roster Bruce had, Nate Thompson was our 3rd line center. I love Nate, but maybe a damn upgrade there at the deadline gets us past Chicago.
The upgrade went to the team that beat us, and he scored one of the OT goals. Was a pretty stiff price though.

What BB really needed was this Gibson, not the one he had.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The upgrade went to the team that beat us, and he scored one of the OT goals. Was a pretty stiff price though.

What BB really needed was this Gibson, not the one he had.

Agreed. It didn't help that Freddie was mediocre at best during that series. However, my point is that people point at the game 7 losses with bruce and immediately place most blame on him, followed by players. On paper, Bruce's teams never seemed like cup favorites IMO. Aside from the one year. I thought Bruce had this unbelievable ability to get his teams to play better than they were during the season. He struggled with adjustments, but I think if we were finished 2nd-4th in the West instead of 1st or 2nd, and we lost in something other than game 7; people wouldn't be as blind in this conversation. Anyone who disagrees, I strongly encourage them to look at the cup favorite rosters those years compared to ours. Aside from 1 year, I never thought we were one of the favorites. Basically my point is that Bruce's ability to get his teams to perform better than their teams on paper during the regular season masked the wholes Murray was content with leaving during playoff runs.

Last edited:

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

My reference to him choking is us consistently being up in a series 3-2 and playing piss poor the last 2 games to lose in embarassing fashion on home ice. Or getting blown out in the first period for those games. That is not a coach who's prepped his guys to go.

Whether he coached so well in the regular season and then they didn't have another gear for the POs aside, those consistent failings when going up 3-2 is just clearly unacceptable. Especially when those were our "window" years so to speak.

Not arguing whether he's a good coach or not, just saying BM gave him a decent leash as well.

Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Does anyone else fear that if the team plays well down the stretch, BM will remain coach into next season?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I feel like Bob Murray taking over as coach is like being in school & you get to take a break away from class to go to group therapy with other badly disciplined students, it doesn't improve ur grades but man is it a nice break from all the bs of doing school work. The players are gonna try to have more fun down the stretch than how it was with Carlyle whom they appear to have hated playing for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad