TSN: Carlo Calaiacovo rumour about Rick Nash (TOR)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
What has Leivo done to deserve to play above Nash?

I'd think the TOI would be similar in this case... but Leivo has quietly had a decent start to the season... he is very good at finding passing lanes on the PP, and strong along the boards.

I also put Nash with Lindholm and Brown because I think that would be a decent checking line and could be a threat offensively and defensively.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No one hopefully. Nash is not a great player anymore and is certainly not the type of player the Leafs should be looking at.
I disagree.
Providing adding him doesn't hurt the Leafs chances of upgrading their D at the deadline, he'd be a great add. He's not a prolific scorer but his defense is still good and he's a clear upgrade over Leivo/Johnsson/Ennis.
Besides, the Leafs are probably going to add some expiring deals because of their surplus of cap this year.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
If Nash weren't getting paid like a mega star most of his career there would have been more acceptance. I think if he took a really low deal, where he could slot in on a third line, he would actually be better. He's still good defensively and a monster when he takes the puck to the net. If he weren't going against top pairs every night, I think he could make a lot of defenses look silly.

After a bad concussion do you think he will still drive the net hard? Or play a little "softer" being nervous of hitting his head again? I bet if he comes back he won't be the big power forward we are all used too...

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
After a bad concussion do you think he will still drive the net hard? Or play a little "softer" being nervous of hitting his head again? I bet if he comes back he won't be the big power forward we are all used too...
You're probably right. He may have to go to that mind numbingly stupid spin move thing he used to do that never worked.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Assuming he can still play he would improve the bottom 6 despite what a lot are saying. His offence has dried up but his 2way game is still solid. Throw him on a shutdown line with Kadri. Its not like any combination of players on Kadri's wing have looked great this year. Its Its definitely an area that could be improved

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'd think the TOI would be similar in this case... but Leivo has quietly had a decent start to the season... he is very good at finding passing lanes on the PP, and strong along the boards.

I also put Nash with Lindholm and Brown because I think that would be a decent checking line and could be a threat offensively and defensively.
Yea, I think Leivo will have a pretty good year. He’s caught his linemates by surprise with his passes... once they know what to expect, PP2 might start firing, and get him some decent point totals.

The 4th line of him, , and Ennis was pretty damn good against Dallas. I doubt that gets broken up at this point. If anything maybe Leivo and Ennis move up to play with Kadri.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Was he ever a star? He hasn't been a PPG player for 10 years. Only scored 40 or more 2 times with 42 being the highest. He has a whole career field with 30 and 20 goal seasons. I say no thanks.

He had 3 40 goal seasons. He also had a a couple of seasons where his pace was close to 40 goals /82.

Nash has played 15 seasons in the NHL and 8 seasons have been 30 or more goals.

If you take away the last 3 years of his career after his concussions and aging, and look at the 20's, he had 21 goals during the lockout year. / 27 goals n 75 games in his 4th NHL season. / 26 goals in 65 games during another seasons. While maybe not a franchise guy to lead a team, he was a star player. He would probably have a lot more points if he didn't get traded to the NYR. Those powerplay numbers took a major hit as soon as he switched teams.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I disagree.
Providing adding him doesn't hurt the Leafs chances of upgrading their D at the deadline, he'd be a great add. He's not a prolific scorer but his defense is still good and he's a clear upgrade over Leivo/Johnsson/Ennis.
Besides, the Leafs are probably going to add some expiring deals because of their surplus of cap this year.

Practically speaking, there's really not a way that it could impact their ability to add a blueliner.

Based on full year cap hits, with Horton counting against the cap, the Leafs have just over $12m in cap space. Add Nylander, and that shrinks to roughly $6m.

If you take the full season cap space, and are adding at the deadline, it's 4.5x the full season cap hit. Roughly speaking, if the Leafs add Nylander today, they'll have $6m in cap space for the full-year, and can add up to $27m worth of salaries at the deadline.

Even if they go and sign Rick Nash at $3m in December (to avoid waivers), they'll still have plenty of cap space to give Matthews and Marner bonuses, and add a defenceman.

Having a big-bodied winger, with the ability to play a shutdown role alongside Kadri, would give the Leafs an incredible home-ice advantage -- you don't need to match up one of your big guns with a Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak in an effort to put them on their heels. Throw Nash-Kadri out there, and let Matthews & Tavares score.

On the road, forget the matchups, a line of Nash-Kadri-Brown or Leivo should be able to put up decent numbers with their ability to cycle the puck.

Reactions: Riptide

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
For a 1 year deal? Hell yeah, he'd be a massive upgrade on either leivo or ennis, and they have the cap to do it this year.

Reactions: iSophagus

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Toronto only does this for the jersey sales. That is the most Nash will do for them unfortunately. This is coming from a long time fan of Nash.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
**** Nash. Didn't want to come when this team needed him and he was in his prime, now he wants to join when he's past his expiration date.
Why is it that some Leafs fans are so entitled to think any player from Ontario has to play for the Leafs? Jesus.

Jackets fans are pretty confident that if he returns, it will be with them, based on meeting with the FO and the fact that he lives in and loves Columbus. But I'm thinking he won't come back.

Reactions: Inglewood JACKets

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Toronto only does this for the jersey sales. That is the most Nash will do for them unfortunately. This is coming from a long time fan of Nash.

You don't think Rick Nash can still hack it in the NHL? I understand he isn't a 30 goal scorer anymore. Not a top 6 winger. But he still has some speed for a big guy. And he wouldn't be asked to score even 20 in Toronto.

I think he'd fit just fine with the Leafs. If he wants another shot at a cup, then sign for one year with TOR or CBJ. Be a good soldier playing 16 minutes a night, or less.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
You don't think Rick Nash can still hack it in the NHL? I understand he isn't a 30 goal scorer anymore. Not a top 6 winger. But he still has some speed for a big guy. And he wouldn't be asked to score even 20 in Toronto.

I think he'd fit just fine with the Leafs. If he wants another shot at a cup, then sign for one year with TOR or CBJ. Be a good soldier playing 16 minutes a night, or less.

I think he is serviceable in the NHL, but if the Leafs are truly a cup contender, I don't think they'd have room for him. He had brief flashes of great play on the Bruins, but largely inconsistent. He is now a sabbatical and head injury removed from that play. I just unfortunately don't see him being able to help a contender sadly. Toronto would be better served getting some better stay at home Dmen to round out their roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad