TSN: Carlo Calaiacovo rumour about Rick Nash (TOR)

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Regarding the cap. Leafs don't have much to spare this season. In order to be pay all their bonus performance this year....Horton and his 5.3m has to included on the roster. So a signed Nylander has the Leafs with about 1.3m in real cap space this year.
In previous years, the Leafs delayed paying their bonus, but this year they really can't do it with big RFA signings next year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Regarding the cap. Leafs don't have much to spare this season. In order to be pay all their bonus performance this year....Horton and his 5.3m has to included on the roster. So a signed Nylander has the Leafs with about 1.3m in real cap space this year.
In previous years, the Leafs delayed paying their bonus, but this year they really can't do it with big RFA signings next year.
Nash will not cost even 1.3 million by the time he signs with a team.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nash will not cost even 1.3 million by the time he signs with a team.

I know but some folks are thinking the Leafs have 12m to spend.
I know it's debatable if 1. Nash would help the Leafs? 2, Do you really want to parachute in a 3rd liner? I guess part of the answer lies if Nylander is signed by December 1st.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think he is serviceable in the NHL, but if the Leafs are truly a cup contender, I don't think they'd have room for him. He had brief flashes of great play on the Bruins, but largely inconsistent. He is now a sabbatical and head injury removed from that play. I just unfortunately don't see him being able to help a contender sadly. Toronto would be better served getting some better stay at home Dmen to round out their roster.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Toronto has one of the most top-heavy forward groups in the league. That "top-heavyness" really carries down about 6 players -- (Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Marleau, Kadri). Those 6 players alone, make the Leafs a cup contender.

After that, there's some solid (and inconsistent) contributors in Kapanen, Brown, Leivo, Johnsson and Hyman... Nash would be a perfect addition to that group on the 3rd line, and give the Leafs some much needed size that would be required to go up against a team like Boston.

In fact, adding Nash, may put the Leafs in a positon where they can lose one of those guys to get defensive help.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I disagree.
Providing adding him doesn't hurt the Leafs chances of upgrading their D at the deadline, he'd be a great add. He's not a prolific scorer but his defense is still good and he's a clear upgrade over Leivo/Johnsson/Ennis.
Besides, the Leafs are probably going to add some expiring deals because of their surplus of cap this year.

Do we even know if Nash would be willing to play 4th line minutes? In terms of those 3, the only player I would choose Nash over is Ennis. The other 2 need time to prove themselves and the Leafs need to give them an opportunity.

Unless he is willing to sign for the league minimum and is fine being scratched for players that are playing better than him, I suppose I would be ok with it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Do we even know if Nash would be willing to play 4th line minutes? In terms of those 3, the only player I would choose Nash over is Ennis. The other 2 need time to prove themselves and the Leafs need to give them an opportunity.

Unless he is willing to sign for the league minimum and is fine being scratched for players that are playing better than him, I suppose I would be ok with it.
He doesn't need a league minimum contract if it's a 1 year deal. The Leafs are flush with cap this year.
And I'm sure he knows he's not sliding into the top-6 when he looks at the Leafs roster.

Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
He doesn't need a league minimum contract if it's a 1 year deal. The Leafs are flush with cap this year.
And I'm sure he knows he's not sliding into the top-6 when he looks at the Leafs roster.

Even top 9 would be a concern for me. I thought the reason Nash was brought up was the fact that most of the excess cap could be used on a rental defenceman?

Admittedly I'm not as big a fan of current Nash than some I suppose. I would much rather spend our extra cap money on a D, have no interest in having Nash be on our 3rd line and believe that some of the guys we have on our 4th line deserve to be given a chance.

If under this hypothetical scenario, we sign a dman we want and still have a little room, he's playing on our 4th line and some of our 4th line players have not performed well than I guess have at it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If I'm Toronto I concentrate more on getting defense than getting another scoring forward. Besides Nash is close to retirement I believe.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Never been a fan of his. Pretty much always a non-factor in money hockey (at least in terms of doing what he is supposed to be good at). I guess if he comes near the end of the year and is basically free, what the hell? Not at the expense of the fast, defensively solid younger guys though.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I disagree. Having Nash on our 3rd means one of Hyman, Brown or Kap get demoted to the 4th. Quite frankly I like all of those players much more than Nash at this point.

Well our third line right now is Lindholm-Kadri-Brown....dropping Brown to the 4th line wouldn’t be the worst thing. Kapanen looks good playing with Matthews, lord knows when Nylander will be back. The fact is Nash right now is still better than Leivo, Ennis, Lindholm on the wings

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Nash literally does everything better then brown why would anyone play brown over nash?
Nash is bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, better defensively and has more offense. He's better in pretty much every way other then being older. Babs would take one look at him and his 6'4 height and get a boner.

Reactions: Tmart335

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Nash literally does everything better then brown why would anyone play brown over nash?
Nash is bigger, faster, stronger, more skilled, better defensively and has more offense. He's better in pretty much every way other then being older. Babs would take one look at him and his 6'4 height and get a *****.

Speed wise I think they are close, but everywhere else your bang on (at least, last years version, who knows now)

IF, and its a big IF, but IF Nylander is traded it could be really helpful for us.
SJS for Braun + could be an interesting package if the Sharks want to go all in on this year. Braun is on their 3rd pair but would likely be top pair with Rielly for the Leafs.

In this scenario (Nylander for a D) Nash becomes very useful.

MarleauPP2 Matthews-PP1 KapannenPP2 (much cheaper option)
Hyman TavaresPP1 MarnerPP1
NashPP2 KadriPP1 Brown
Lindholm - Gauthier (has really impressed me last 2 games) LeivoPP2

ReillyPP1 - Nylander Trade piece
GardinerPP2 Zaitsev
Dermott Hainsey (sadly)

Pretty solid top 2 lines, Nash really boosts the 3rd line, and the 4th line becomes allot better (IMO). Second PP unit solidifies a bit more as well. Also gives you Andreas Johnsson as your spare/injury replacement.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->