TSN: Carlo Calaiacovo rumour about Rick Nash (TOR)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Gagners cap it is $3.15M

Traded to a team with cap space, 50% retained.

Gagners cap hit is $1.575M

Traded to Leafs, 50% retained

Gagners cap hit $0.787M

So close enough... read my post, I said traded twice.
Doesn't work like that, most 1 contract can be retained is 50%...

Read my post, I said you didn't understand how the retention system worked.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's no Tavares, that's for sure.

Pajama boy has actually come along way defensively. He won’t be winning a selke but he def holds his own. You were throwing a shot st me but I was being serious. The leafs have an all world offense but need defense. Am I wrong?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
He's best suited on the 3rd line at this point, very solid defensively and could hopefully take advantage of lesser opponents. Plant his ass in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit too, if he's willing to go there.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

You're wrong though.

2014 Edmonton traded Dubnyk to Nashville 50% retained ($1.75 of 3.5M)

Nashville then traded Dubnyk to Montreal at 25% retained ($0.875) and then Montreal was able to bury him in the minors at a zero cap hit due to his $875k salary.

Where I was off was the percentage pertains to the original amount of the contract so the Leafs would have to do 25% not 50% in the 2nd trade to get gagner at $787k.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd be happy to give him a chance in the top 9. Concussions are scary though so I think it is smart of him to take some time off - especially when he likely has another 50+ years ahead of him.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Nash

Pls

I'd be good with that

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Not sure if he'd actually help, assuming Nylander comes back and Hyman gets out of the top six then is Nash good enough anymore to actually replace any players in the Leafs top six?

Wasn't very good in the playoffs for Boston imo.
I actually thought he was really good in the Bruins/Leafs series, just couldn't bury anything. That being said, adding more offense isn't exactly a priority. Nash isn't bad defensively but I don't see him as an upgrade over the other forwards the Leafs already have.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Having Nash in the lineup won't make Toronto anything more than it is, people need to stop living on a past name.

Dont under estimate the value of experience. If cheap a two way depth scoring addition wouldn't be terrible if we have injuries or people not performing.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The Leafs are looking to add anything except pieces to their defense for their stretch run then it's gonna be another year on the drought calendar this year.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Imagine for a minute it gets late into the season and the leafs want the most OP Forward group, they could sign Nick Shore, Get Rick Nash, Get Sam Gagne, and have

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Nash - Kadri - Johnsson
Gagne - Shore - Brown/Lindholm

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
It actually makes a ton of sense. The Leafs are small up front, and not overly strong on the left side. If Rick Nash decides he wants to play, Toronto is near a perfect fit. Imagine a lineup that looks like this:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

The fact that he's from (and i believe still lives in) Toronto likely helps the situation as well.

Question though -- at what point would he have to sign before he would have to clear waivers?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
You know, that sounds just crazy enough to work.
tenor.gif

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Not sure if he'd actually help, assuming Nylander comes back and Hyman gets out of the top six then is Nash good enough anymore to actually replace any players in the Leafs top six?

Wasn't very good in the playoffs for Boston imo.
These were my thoughts off the top of my head as well...that Boston series made me glad we didn't get him! I was a fan of the big man with the hands though1

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
While nobody is going to argue that having Nash on your 3rd line gives you more offensive upside, I legit can't believe I'm reading stories about the Leafs picking up ANOTHER forward.

I hate the Leafs so bad... but if they somehow won a cup I'd be so happy because it would prove that you don't need a blueline.

Reactions: smitty10

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

50% of the team's cap hit, in a given trade, for up to two trades on a given contract.

You can 50% a player and then RST him again, its just the new percentages are based on the new cap hit, not the original contract.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
If this is indeed true which I could absolutely see happening as it would be a perfect scenario for Rick Nash, then the Maple Leafs should absolutely explore trading Nylander for defensive help. Considering he must be signed by December 1st or he can’t play this season, It’d be wise for them to do so and really go all in for the Cup this season.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Nash-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown
Johnsson/Ennis

Wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad