Carl Grundstrom 18-19 season expectations

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Could another consideration for Grundstrom this season be the expansion draft, which will likely occur the summer after next? If he plays this year I believe he'd be eligible, and with Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson all requiring protection already (not to mention Brown and Hyman) that could get ugly.

I mean, maybe? If Babs likes Grundstrom significantly more than the Kapanen/Johnsson tier guys who require protection?

We’re losing someone decent in expansion regardless, way too many capable guys, too few protection spots unfortunately.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
So excited for this kid! If he makes it that's great on him. He came close last year so I wouldn't be surprised if he does steal a spot. But if not, he'll dominate the AHL and that's great as well. Win-win.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Marlies all season long with a possible post TD promotion before the playoffs. Would keep an eye on 22 yr old Pierre Engvall.

Reactions: Boutette

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We’re losing someone decent in expansion regardless, way too many capable guys, too few protection spots unfortunately.

Good for Seattle, and no great shakes for Toronto then. When you've got too many capable guys, loosing one is just an opportunity for another.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Grunstrom is competing with only Leivo for the 4th line left wing spot, I wouldn't count him out of the opening night roster. Babcock likes him, so it's going to be an interesting camp.
Leivo will win that one out, for two simple reasons. Leafs will be very reluctant to play a still developing 21 year old 4th line minutes and two, Leivo needs waivers. To be honest though, I'd expect us to move Leivo on, and for the Leafs to acquire someone who fits what Babs wants out of a 4th liner. Which is, a strong forechecking player, who works hard and can be trusted on the PK. Not sure Grundstrom can eat PK minutes, and considering how strong the 1st through 3rd lines are, the 4th line won't get enough development time. To make this team as an ineligible waiver player, you need to win a clear top 9 role. At the moment, I'd say clear 1st line minutes with the Marlies, beats spot duty at the NHL level. If you really like him but he's not ready to play in the top 9, you send him back until before the deadline giving him first line AHL minutes until March and call him back-up for 4th line duty in Late-February, similar to what we did with Johnsson and Kapanen this year.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
My expectation is the Leafs will be in no rush to bring him up. The Seattle expansion and the likes of Kapanen, Johnson in front of him put him in no man's land for coming up till end of season for a peek. Future speak I expect him to be better than Brown and Hyman but no way as good as Kapanen. Good 3rd liner next season.

Reactions: Menzinger

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Offensively he seems to be off to a strong start this year. 1.4 average points per game which is the best on the team. Not bad for a 20 year old. I suspect he will be with the big club at some point this year to cover for injuries.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Despite his hot start, he's still a year away.

He's a non factor unless he's close to the net. The leafs are trying to turn him into a more complete player.

I think the plan still is to bring in another LW, probably Nash, to support the forward group instead of using a prospect.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Despite his hot start, he's still a year away.

He's a non factor unless he's close to the net. The leafs are trying to turn him into a more complete player.

I think the plan still is to bring in another LW, probably Nash, to support the forward group instead of using a prospect.
In his games that I’ve seen he competes hard all over the ice, and shows good hockey IQ. Still, Andreas Johnsson isn’t even a full time LW for us yet, it’s not an easy team to make. My guess is Grundstrom gets some injury callup games this year, but plays the vast majority of his games in the AHL. This’d be especially true if we sign Nash.

Can certainly see Grundstrom as a full time Leaf next year though, he’s very close.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Offensively he seems to be off to a strong start this year. 1.4 average points per game which is the best on the team. Not bad for a 20 year old. I suspect he will be with the big club at some point this year to cover for injuries.
Nice to see, for my money he was the most underwhelming prospect in camp. I actually thought he show good enough to make the brass think, but he was just nowhere. He has a skill set we could use, glad to see he's finding his game.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Crazy that he's not talked about more. Ever since the draft he has produced at a rate that'd be acceptable for a mid-late first round pick, and he's doing it while also bringing a play style that we clearly lack. Will likely become an effective top nine player for us, and possibly more.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Crazy that he's not talked about more. Ever since the draft he has produced at a rate that'd be acceptable for a mid-late first round pick, and he's doing it while also bringing a play style that we clearly lack. Will likely become an effective top nine player for us, and possibly more.
He is getting polished up in AHL, should be good to go next season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leading the team in PPG, youngest forward on the team. NHL speed and grit, to boot.

call him up!

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Grundstrom with 15 points in 16 games this year, in the AHL, as a 20 year old.
Allow me to be the first to say this: This kid is the real deal.

Hopefully he gets a taste of the show this year at some point ...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marchment and Grundstrom are going to on the Leafs at some point in the next year for sure, probably this season depending on injuries and maybe even a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad