Carl Grundstrom 18-19 season expectations

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
My feeling is that they'll treat Grundstrom the same way they handled Johnsson this year, Kapanen a year ago and Nylander 2 years ago. Give him most of the season and see how he performs with the Marlies. If it's like anything the other 3 have shown, give him a callup later on in the season and then he sticks with the Leafs going into the playoffs.

Anyone see it the same way?

Pretty much this.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
My feeling is that they'll treat Grundstrom the same way they handled Johnsson this year, Kapanen a year ago and Nylander 2 years ago. Give him most of the season and see how he performs with the Marlies. If it's like anything the other 3 have shown, give him a callup later on in the season and then he sticks with the Leafs going into the playoffs.

Besides Marleau, he could be the best LWer the Leafs have.....Marleau, Johnson, Grundstrom, Leivo and Martin. Hyman could. go the RW, if Nylander goes to centre. I don't see any reason to hold him back if he's good enough. Kapanen was held back partly due to lack of injuries to the Leafs on the wings. But with JVR, Komarov and maybe Nylander going to centre, there certainly is a spot for Grundstrom.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It depends on how active we are in the UFA market with respect to wingers. If there is a spot open in training camp, I think he'll be given a legitimate shot to earn a job with the big club.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

No.

I believe Babs mentioned last fall that he essentially made the team in camp.

They have openings on LW. I think he makes it.

Would not be surprised if you're right though.

member 262271

I'd think it would depend on who the Leafs sign, would be cool if he made it though.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Similar to Johnson path, Spend most of the year in the AHL, will prob be the 1st or 2nd guy to be called up if there are injury's, and then see how he does towards the end of the year.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I still don't know if he is more effective at RW than LW. He played RW with Johnsson on the left these playoffs and I thought he did great. Keefe seems to think the right side suits him better.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
he needs another year of playing big minutes for the Marlies.

Pretty much. Good skills, not perfect though. So he could use some more time with the Marlies. If by the end of next season he's playing well enough to earn a promotion, that's when he gets a look.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Pretty much. Good skills, not perfect though. So he could use some more time with the Marlies. If by the end of next season he's playing well enough to earn a promotion, that's when he gets a look.
Definitely. Why blow a year off his FA eligibility when you have guys like Leivo and Kapi that need to get a serious look. I like him as a prospect but who ever crashed because they were brought along too patiently?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Definitely. Why blow a year off his FA eligibility when you have guys like Leivo and Kapi that need to get a serious look. I like him as a prospect but who ever crashed because they were brought along too patiently?

We may very well see that with Leivo this coming year.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
With Tavares here, it seems very unlikely he'll have much of a shot at cracking the roster Day 1 barring injuries

And for his development, it'll be better for him to be the Marlies #1 offensive threat than playing 6-8 minutes on the 4th line

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
With Tavares here, it seems very unlikely he'll have much of a shot at cracking the roster Day 1 barring injuries

And for his development, it'll be better for him to be the Marlies #1 offensive threat than playing 6-8 minutes on the 4th line

what does JT have to with Grundstrom making it?

We are weak on LW and Grundstrom is probably out top LW prospect after Johnsson (who will be on the team obviously). Also wasn't he one of the last cuts in his first leaf camp? babcock loved him if I remember correctly

LW currently
Hyman (RW but he seems to have stuck at LW)
Marleau
Johnsson
Grundstrom
Leivo

seems like the battle is down to leivo grundstrom unless we sign someone, and babcock loved grundstrom in that camp and seems to seriously dislike leivo.

The marlies are probably best choice but if he wins a spot he wins a spot there are not vets for the tie to go to here

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I still don't know if he is more effective at RW than LW. He played RW with Johnsson on the left these playoffs and I thought he did great. Keefe seems to think the right side suits him better.

Better hope he is a LW otherwise he is in very tough to beat out
Marner
Nylander
Brown (probably should beat him but babs adores brown)
kapanen

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Could another consideration for Grundstrom this season be the expansion draft, which will likely occur the summer after next? If he plays this year I believe he'd be eligible, and with Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson all requiring protection already (not to mention Brown and Hyman) that could get ugly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
this kid is legit.

I expect him to be the best forward on the Marlies this year, and demanding a callup with his play.

Reactions: mapleleafs34

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
what does JT have to with Grundstrom making it?

It means we don't have to push Nylander to C which would have opened up a Winger spot for Grundstrom potentially.

And there wouldn't be much use having Grundstrom on the 4th line playing 6-8 minutes when he could play 16-18 mins on the top line with the marlies like Kapanen and Johnsson have done in the past.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Now that we have Tavares, Grundstrom will be a PPG player on the Marlies top line this year and an injury call up.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Grunstrom is competing with only Leivo for the 4th line left wing spot, I wouldn't count him out of the opening night roster. Babcock likes him, so it's going to be an interesting camp.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, I think he has the talent to make Babs go "wtf" and finally move Hyman out of the top 6. He's gritty, a surprisingly fast skater, good hands and decent 2 way. He's like Hyman on steroids. Maybe halfway through the season (if he makes it out of camp) we see something like..

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Grundstrom - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen (With Johnsson eventually replacing Marleau on the top line)

Holy f***.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Hyman came out of college to. play on the top line (I know many Leaf fans object). Grundstrom has played in the SHL for a few years and really looked good for the Marlies in the playoffs.
No reason to hold him back. If deserving he could play on any line. with the Leafs.
Hyman, Marleau, Johnson and Grundstrom, looks like for good LWers. Leivo might be the extra winger (again).
As Apotheosis suggested above, Babcock might use in his top six since Babs likes balanced lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad