Carl Grundstrom 18-19 season expectations

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Imagine a line of Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen. Ah the possibilities that Babcock is not using.

i think there are better line combos possible with out line-up too. But to be fair to babs he hasn't had the opportunity to not use those 3 together yet

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would try to slow the promotion of Grundstrom to the NHL a little bit to create some separation between the promotions of Kapanen and Johnsson. That way he can possibly come in and replace one of those guys, should we trade one of them for whatever reason.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Johnsson - Nylander - Brown
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Marchment - Aaltonen - Grundstrom

4C i'd deally want Aaltonen/Gauthier as the C with Marchment getting a strong look

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
90% chance he makes the Leafs out of camp and scores 15-20 goals in his first year. He's too good for the AHL and hes been playing pro hockey. He's ready and brings the much needed skill and grit combo this team needs.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Watching him in the playoffs, I think he most likely starts the year with the Marlies. There appears to be room for him to improve at the AHL level still. I would like to see if he can drive his own line for an extended time.

He's close, and could be an effective player in the NHL right now, but I would want to make sure that when he's up full time he's more than just a grinder.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He'll get a very good look in camp and have every opportunity to make the team unless we sign or trade for a bunch of wingers in the offseason.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
dominating, nhl ready, too good for the ahl...remember willy, how kapanen looked this year, and johnsson right now, that is dominating and too good for the ahl...grundstrom looked and played great though, but hes not there yet, not some for sure nhl player

but then again all he has to do is compete with leivo and martin as this moment, so theres a legit chance if we sign nobody...hes not far from our depth chart though and with injuries could for sure get games, he could jump leivo soon

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Grundstrom/ Matthews/ Marner is my preference.

Marleau/ Kadri / Nylander willy can mentor with two solid shutdown veterans before switching to center in the next year and a half or so.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
In his last 69 games split pretty evenly between Frolunda and the Marlies (including 32 playoff games) he has 47 points (31 goals and 16 assists). I'm not sure what more he has to prove at the AAA level. Unless Dubas decide for some crazy reason to stock up on wingers, he's probably going to force his way onto the Leafs, if not by Game 1, pretty soon thereafter. He's capable of 20+ goals in the NHL, say if he's on a line with Brown/Johnsson or Kapanen and a decent center. 30+ with the Marlies if he's stuck in the AHL for the whole season (40+ likely if he's there for their 2019 playoff run).

5/6 UFAs are forwards & i can't see Dubas signing them all back.There's a spot for him if he puts the work in.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Watching him in the playoffs, I think he most likely starts the year with the Marlies. There appears to be room for him to improve at the AHL level still. I would like to see if he can drive his own line for an extended time.

He's close, and could be an effective player in the NHL right now, but I would want to make sure that when he's up full time he's more than just a grinder.

I think that's how Babcock and management sees things too.

He could probably contribute in the NHL right now but like Kapanen, Nylander and Johnsson, I think they want him to be the team's #1 offensive player at the AHL first. I'd rather they do that then stick him on the 4th line with the Leafs

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He is definitely going to play in the NHL.

I'm not sure it'll be next year but I would be shocked if he isn't a full time NHL player by 2019/20.

Grundstrom is very good.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He has a very good chance to play in the NHL right from the hop as he bring a game with him that we need and not many of our young prospect bring. If he does not start in the NHL he will be a main stay before long. No way is he going home to play next season.

Every thing comes down to what we do in the off season as I see us making a trade and moving a player or two off of our roster.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I would guess he heads into camp after a great summer with the "you ain't sending me down" attitude and forces them to keep him. It's a young man's game now. He has the work ethic. The skills. And the determination. I think he will make the team out of camp. Only way I see them sending him down after that is if he really struggles in his first 9 games or whatever the limit is to not burn an ELC year.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Of course anything is possible from training-camp and pre-season, but IMO the chance of him starting in the AHL is 90%. Gets called up halfway through the season.

I'm guessing that Leivo does well in pre-season and earns a spot on the 4th line.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Leave him on the marlies for a while, let him light it up and overcook a bit. There's nothing wrong with giving prospects more AHL time than they need. Lets be honest here, we aren't desperate for wingers. We have plenty of them. No need to rush a 20/21 year old winger at this point.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Leave him on the marlies for a while, let him light it up and overcook a bit. There's nothing wrong with giving prospects more AHL time than they need. Lets be honest here, we aren't desperate for wingers. We have plenty of them. No need to rush a 20/21 year old winger at this point.
While I don't mind the idea I also don't like it as a blanket statement. If a player is obviously NHL ready he should be given a spot if it's available.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Will be like kapanen 2 years ago and johnsson last year. Overdevelop in the AHL, call him up late season and in the playoffs.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Johnsson, Hyman, Marleau, Leivo, and Martin are our best LWers going into next year. Grundstrom only needs to pass Martin and Leivo, which shouldn't be a challenge for him honestly. I think Grundstrom/Leivo can both play either wing too. Grundstrom is NHL ready and I think he'll be a good player for us, unless they want to give him a year to dominate the AHL like our other guys

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Pretty simple expectations for Grundstrom imo.

I want him to earn top 6 minutes with the Marlies, and earn a large role on the PP & PK while playing a physical, hard nosed game. Maybe gets a call up sometime after the half way point of the season.

If he does that, he will have a very real chance at a full-time job with the big club in the 2019/2020 season.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad