Carl Grundstrom 18-19 season expectations

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
My feeling is that they'll treat Grundstrom the same way they handled Johnsson this year, Kapanen a year ago and Nylander 2 years ago. Give him most of the season and see how he performs with the Marlies. If it's like anything the other 3 have shown, give him a callup later on in the season and then he sticks with the Leafs going into the playoffs.

Anyone see it the same way?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
In his last 69 games split pretty evenly between Frolunda and the Marlies (including 32 playoff games) he has 47 points (31 goals and 16 assists). I'm not sure what more he has to prove at the AAA level. Unless Dubas decide for some crazy reason to stock up on wingers, he's probably going to force his way onto the Leafs, if not by Game 1, pretty soon thereafter. He's capable of 20+ goals in the NHL, say if he's on a line with Brown/Johnsson or Kapanen and a decent center. 30+ with the Marlies if he's stuck in the AHL for the whole season (40+ likely if he's there for their 2019 playoff run).

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It'll depend how our off-season goes but I think a very safe prediction is that he will start with the Marlies.

Johnsson and Kapanen played pretty much 2 full AHL seasons. Grundstrom could be doing that as well.

Reactions: Kelly

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A callup when needed; probably doesn't make the team out of training camp.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
In his last 69 games split pretty evenly between Frolunda and the Marlies (including 32 playoff games) he has 47 points (31 goals and 16 assists). I'm not sure what more he has to prove at the AAA level. Unless Dubas decide for some crazy reason to stock up on wingers, he's probably going to force his way onto the Leafs, if not by Game 1, pretty soon thereafter. He's capable of 20+ goals in the NHL, say if he's on a line with Brown/Johnsson or Kapanen and a decent center. 30+ with the Marlies if he's stuck in the AHL for the whole season (40+ likely if he's there for their 2019 playoff run).

Development isn't necessarily about what is proven at the lesser level, but more about preparing a player to be successful at the next level.

Not all players are ready to play 10+ minutes of NHL for 82 games straight. Not all players are ready to play, not play, by going in and out of the line up. Not all players can be called up and then sent back down.

Sometimes you need to give a guy more ahl time and call them up later in the year, which is what the Leafs have been doing recently, and it seems to be working.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Grundstrom. has had lots of pro experience, so the thought he needs more AHL time just may not be true. I compare more to the Hyman situation where Hyman a older rookie played with two rookies Nylander and Matthews.
Here's my thought. Nylander goes to centre. Hyman to RW. Grundstrom plays LW with "veterans" Matthews and Marner. Johnson/Nylander/Hyman might be a line.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Grundstrom. has had lots of pro experience, so the thought he needs more AHL time just may not be true. I compare more to the Hyman situation where Hyman a older rookie played with two rookies Nylander and Matthews.
Here's my thought. Nylander goes to centre. Hyman to RW. Grundstrom plays LW with "veterans" Matthews and Marner. Johnson/Nylander/Hyman might be a line.
Imagine a line of Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen. Ah the possibilities that Babcock is not using.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
My feeling is that they'll treat Grundstrom the same way they handled Johnsson this year, Kapanen a year ago and Nylander 2 years ago. Give him most of the season and see how he performs with the Marlies. If it's like anything the other 3 have shown, give him a callup later on in the season and then he sticks with the Leafs going into the playoffs.

Anyone see it the same way?
While it's possible Grundstrom is more NHL ready now that those others you mentioned were then.
I would not be surprised to see him with the leafs after camp

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A big year in the SHL unless he stalls out there in which case he will be with the Marlies. He just needs to be a bit faster and a bit stronger to translate his game to the NHL. He can jump to the show next year from Sweden as easy as the AHL. Considering how slowly they graduated everyone else I would be stunned if he was a Leaf before the end of next season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Barring any trades, he’s got an outside chance at making the Leafs out of camp but can see him making it by the second half of the season.

If one of Kapanen/Brown gets traded in a package for a D man his odds of making it definitely increase

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If Grundstrom making the team means the Leafs don't re-sign Komarov, I'm all for it.

I think he's proven enough to at least start the year with the Leafs. He's played pro for a few years now.

Reactions: ToneDog

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think he could make the Leafs but with the depth in the organization I wouldn’t be shocked to see him spend most of next year with the Marlies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
One more year in the SEL to groom, protect the asset, develop optimally.
And hop over in the spring for another Calder run.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Still rough around the edges despite his valuable skillset.
I see him having a similar journey to nhl minutes as Kapanen.
Breaks in as a 4th liner. Earns babcocks trust. Then gets fed minutes/situational play slowly.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
32 goal pace in the AHL playoffs.

So we expect it might take him some time to adjust to the smaller ice surface?

Odds are he starts with the Marlies, but he could easily make the Leafs if Komarov and van Riemsdyk and perhaps even Martin are no longer with the Leafs.

Yes, there's Leivo who Babcock doesn't have much time for.

6', 190 lbs is decent size, has been playing against men will be 21 in December.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Grundstrom is pretty much NHL ready

He's not at his offensive peak but he's kinda too good for the AHL

Usually you keep guys in the AHL when they are having difficulty acclimating to the speed, the size or the skill of the NHL game or when they require work on their defensive game.

Grundstrom is already pretty good defensively and has no issues with playing against size or has any offensive issues. Like... Keeping him down you'll basically be pushing him to get better offensively which for his type of player is a bit wasteful.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Give him a full year with the Marlies.

I don't want him to replace Leo.

I want him to replace Leo and then some. Give him a full consistent year with the Marlies and let him pot 30 goals. I'd like to see him consistently produce like Leo did in his career year (19 g, 17 a, 36 pts in 67 games)

Then again, I will happily see him on the Leafs if he is ready. I just think with the overall quality we have right now it might be worth doing. I don't think we have much graduating from junior to the Marlies so spots should be free for the guys we want to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad